British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   How to entertain a nice girl for a week in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/how-entertain-nice-girl-week-dubai-690115/)

Ethos83 Oct 19th 2010 5:50 am

How to entertain a nice girl for a week in Dubai

So -

I have an old childhood friend coming over to DXB for the week in mid-November. She's a sweet, nice girl and I've always liked her (no dirty thoughts, people. She's the kind of sweet and nice girl that every likes. It's actually becoming a problem for her because she's turning into the woman that is so sweet and nice but no one ever takes too seriously. Think five times a bridesmaid but never a bride and you get the picture.)

Anyhow, although she had excellent marks and university degree she went against every sane advice and became a social worker and now works for Barnados taking care of chavtastic brats. So sweet of her! but it means she has next to no money and I intend to be generous and show her a good time (once again, no dirty thoughts. She's a sweet and nice girl!)

Any suggestions as what to do with a visitor for a week? I've got a dhow tour on the list along with a desert safari. We'll do the obligatory visit to Bur Dubai/Museum/Gold Souk. What else?

Hello.Kitty Oct 19th 2010 6:18 am

Re: How to entertain a nice girl for a week in Dubai

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 8927632)
So -

I have an old childhood friend coming over to DXB for the week in mid-November. She's a sweet, nice girl and I've always liked her (no dirty thoughts, people. She's the kind of sweet and nice girl that every likes. It's actually becoming a problem for her because she's turning into the woman that is so sweet and nice but no one ever takes too seriously. Think five times a bridesmaid but never a bride and you get the picture.)

Anyhow, although she had excellent marks and university degree she went against every sane advice and became a social worker and now works for Barnados taking care of chavtastic brats. So sweet of her! but it means she has next to no money and I intend to be generous and show her a good time (once again, no dirty thoughts. She's a sweet and nice girl!)

Any suggestions as what to do with a visitor for a week? I've got a dhow tour on the list along with a desert safari. We'll do the obligatory visit to Bur Dubai/Museum/Gold Souk. What else?

Big bus tour to kick off? It'll take up a full day and gives a good overview of the place - and there's a souk tour and dhow cruise included in the price (as well as entry to the museum)... so a bit of flexibility. ... and it then gives you a discount on the desert safari, if I remember correctly.

Then you could always just pick up on what she finds interesting... the Jumeirah Mosque, the museum, Bur Dubai, Souks... abra... Madinat Jumeirah... Ski Dubai... Burj Khalifa... then there's the Polo Club which I've heard does a nice lunch and you can watch the game... possibly a beach day at one of the hotels... the Dhow cruise fromt eh Marina that goes out to the Burj Al Arab and back... a drive up to the end of the palm and have lunch at Atlantis (Entertainer vouchers ahoy!)

Enough?! :o

Autonomy Oct 19th 2010 6:23 am

So -

Take her up the Burj Khalifa of course...

Dinner on Rivington Grill Terrace for good food and great view of the fountains

If money is no object - Al Maha for a night, or if tighter Sandy Beach for decent snorkling and your own barbeque

At least high tea in the Burj

Drinks at Bhari Bar for views

Nobu does brunch now for 500dhs (cue Lionheart...)

Musandam

Drinks at the Terrace at Park Hyatt

Hire a boat and go out round the world...

etc

Hello.Kitty Oct 19th 2010 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8927675)

Dinner on Rivington Grill Terrace for good food and great view of the fountains

If money is no object - Al Maha for a night, or if tighter Sandy Beach for decent snorkling and your own barbeque

At least high tea in the Burj

Drinks at Bhari Bar for views

Nobu does brunch now for 500dhs (cue Lionheart...)

Musandam

Drinks at the Terrace at Park Hyatt

Hire a boat and go out round the world...

etc

hehe - I'd love to be on that budget!

lionheart Oct 19th 2010 6:26 am

Anyhow, although she had excellent marks and university degree she went against every sane advice and became a social worker and now works for Barnados taking care of chavtastic brats.

Oih, yours tuly was a Dr. Barnardos boy so less of the chavtastic, please. As for entertainment, a nice drive to Jabel Hafeet overlooking Al Ain (incorporating a visit to the excellent zoo) would be nice. The mountain terrain and hairpin drive make it memorable and, if you have some dosh to spare, an overnight at the Mercure Grand Hotel would be greatly appreciated I'm sure.

Autonomy Oct 19th 2010 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 8927677)
hehe - I'd love to be on that budget!

I'm sure Mr Ethos is loaded... "I intend to be generous".

Meow Oct 19th 2010 9:08 am

Global Village opens 10th November
For souvenirs and an entertaining couple of hours - Antiques Museum (no antiques & not a museum)
A trip on Metro from Jelel Ali to Deira - good views of the city
Free museum in Gold & Diamond Park
Numerous free art exhibitions each week
MoE for ski slope & Dubai Mall for giant aquarium. Mundane to us but visitors like to see them for themselves
Decently priced Lebo food + shisha at Reem al Bawadi
Visit Majilis al Ghorfat (off Beach Rd Jumeirah 3) for just Dhs 1 entry
Water Parks
A nights camping in the desert
Kayak through Mangroves (AD or Umm al Quwain)

csdf Oct 19th 2010 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8927675)

I think Ethos83 made it perfectly clear that she was a nice, sweet girl.

kittycat1 Oct 19th 2010 10:21 am

How about a day at a pool- I was at the one and only recently which was lush- really nice way to unwind as she is on holiday! could also treat her to a day at a spa (Cleopatras at Wafi is really nice) as shes so sweet she probably deserves a day of pampering and it is cheap compared to the UK and sweet girls never treat themselves.

I'd love a guy to spoil me like that and I'm a sweet girl! :D

I second the bus tour, good way of seeing the city, if she likes shopping then Dubai mall, and I love Global village!

Desert safari and a day trip or two days in Rak or something.

Meow Oct 19th 2010 10:36 am

Good idea kittycat1. How about combining the two a booking her a treatment at the Amara Spa at the Park Hyatt? That includes use of their lovely facilities and pool all day. It's quiet with nice staff so she'd be fine on her own.

Roadking Oct 19th 2010 10:48 am

How about finding her a boyfriend who won't put her on a pedestal...then she can let the inner wild child loose and have a proper good time!

kittycat1 Oct 19th 2010 10:50 am

lionheart Oct 19th 2010 11:51 am

Do "nice girls" still exist these days?

Meow Oct 19th 2010 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8928108)
Do "nice girls" still exist these days?

Your definition of 'nice'?

Bahtatboy Oct 19th 2010 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8928143)
Your definition of 'nice'?

My high school English teacher banned the word nice, on the premise that it didn't really mean anything. Quite right too, just a lazy way of saying "I like it" but not bothering to say why. (Japanese cooking programme presenters are the worst--when testing a restaurant's fare all they can come up with "oishii" (delicious), which tells the viewers nothing about the food, only that the presenter likes it.) Admittedly "a nice girl" does have a generally-accepted meaning, but I guess that depends on the mores of the society in which you live... God, I've just had a sudden chunk of deja vu.