British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   How does the latest dubai news affect the individual? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/how-does-latest-dubai-news-affect-individual-642412/)

Jeeper Nov 27th 2009 3:16 pm

How does the latest dubai news affect the individual?

OK...so the news that Dubai is effectively defaulting on debts isn't so much of a surprise....it's just the fact that it's now been made more or less a reality.

I have always known that most don't keep savings in bank accounts here - they keep them offshore. I never did this as the interest rate was so cr.ap and AED interest rates were slightly better. I wanted to wait until the USD got some strength before sending home (where it would hopefully be finally safe).

I did this in early march of this year when the USD gained so much.
However, last month i bought all these savings back to AED as the NZD was so strong again and now they are in a dubai bank account. That account is paying 4%, USD accounts pay 0%

I get the feeling that now, more than ever, you shouldn't have a dime more than you need for the month saved here regardless of interests rates offered.

Are Dubai based banks in danger of folding?

Millhouse Nov 27th 2009 3:50 pm

Re: How does the latest dubai news affect the individual?

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 8129214)
OK...so the news that Dubai is effectively defaulting on debts isn't so much of a surprise....it's just the fact that it's now been made more or less a reality.

I have always known that most don't keep savings in bank accounts here - they keep them offshore. I never did this as the interest rate was so cr.ap and AED interest rates were slightly better. I wanted to wait until the USD got some strength before sending home (where it would hopefully be finally safe).

I did this in early march of this year when the USD gained so much.
However, last month i bought all these savings back to AED as the NZD was so strong again and now they are in a dubai bank account. That account is paying 4%, USD accounts pay 0%

I get the feeling that now, more than ever, you shouldn't have a dime more than you need for the month saved here regardless of interests rates offered.

NEVER EVER keep any dirhams onshore. In fact, never hold dirhams.

If the currency peg was any good they wouldn't have to offer a 4% spread over the USD to keep people to hold it onshore.

Bijilo123 Nov 27th 2009 3:58 pm

EmiratesMillhouse is right in principle.

Remember that if you do transfer your money out of the country it will go to a bank which may not actually be as safe as an Arab Bank.

When I left Kuwait I left a lot of money in Gulf Bank and sent some to BBi and Royal Bank of Scotland. Gulf Bank did not fail but the others did.

Managing exchange rate risk is of course a different matter from bank default risk and needs attention.

By the way - for those of you who have not been abroad for a full tax year and feel they may have to return to the UK - be careful with transfers and read HMRC-6 on the revenue website

Norm_uk Nov 27th 2009 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse (Post 8129306)
NEVER EVER keep any dirhams onshore. In fact, never hold dirhams.

If the currency peg was any good they wouldn't have to offer a 4% spread over the USD to keep people to hold it onshore.

Spot on...:thumbup:

N.

IndieG Nov 27th 2009 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 8129214)

Depends which bank. I wouldn't put any money in the smaller banks - RAKBANK, NBF...etc. And again very short term 1-3 month deposits until you can wire it out. ADCB, NBAD...AbDab banks are fine.

Jeeper Nov 28th 2009 1:06 am

Originally Posted by IndieG (Post 8129775)
Depends which bank. I wouldn't put any money in the smaller banks - RAKBANK, NBF...etc. And again very short term 1-3 month deposits until you can wire it out. ADCB, NBAD...AbDab banks are fine.

Mashreq?

Anyway - first working day after eid - it's outta here.

IndieG Nov 28th 2009 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 8130027)
Mashreq?

I've never trusted Mashreq before. I wouldn't trust them with a fil.

Jeeper Nov 28th 2009 8:10 am

Originally Posted by IndieG (Post 8130160)
I've never trusted Mashreq before. I wouldn't trust them with a fil.

They've actually been very good. 60billion times better than HSBC.

TA5 Nov 28th 2009 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 8130027)
Mashreq?

Doubtful, by monday accounts will likely be frozen to prevent massive runs on UAE banks.

Eva Nov 30th 2009 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by TA5 (Post 8131465)
Doubtful, by monday accounts will likely be frozen to prevent massive runs on UAE banks.

National Bank of Dubai now called Emirates National Bank of Dubai since@ 21/11- like a namechange is salvation......

Any bets on how low the US Dollar will go or what price gold this time tomorrow?

IndieG Nov 30th 2009 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 8136321)
National Bank of Dubai now called Emirates National Bank of Dubai since@ 21/11- like a namechange is salvation......

Any bets on how low the US Dollar will go or what price gold this time tomorrow?

Think the name was already on the cards since 2008, they were just waiting for their systems to get integrated.

Did you see the Govt has now distanced itself from DW and is washing its hands off from all its debts.

rowell Dec 1st 2009 3:05 am

Originally Posted by IndieG (Post 8136874)
Think the name was already on the cards since 2008, they were just waiting for their systems to get integrated.

Did you see the Govt has now distanced itself from DW and is washing its hands off from all its debts.

No doubt about it Sheik Mo is a very clever man, and/or been well advised, its not in essence his debt!

Blue Cat Dec 1st 2009 3:40 am

yes they are saying it isn't owned by the Government.

Eva Dec 1st 2009 3:59 am

Big marketing push this month though(sorry last month now,where did 2009 go???)

Originally Posted by rowell (Post 8137317)
No doubt about it Sheik Mo is a very clever man, and/or been well advised, its not in essence his debt!

It's the RBS,HSBC etc investors who will probably carry the debt-
too dirty a word for any HRH to be associated with of course.
One of the knock on effects imho will be that the mention of Dubai will leave a bad taste in the mouth and a reluctance to get involved in its resurrection.....

A change in Residency laws could generate some revenue however this will not sit well with the drive to revert to a more traditional/ Islamic lifestyle.

shiva Dec 1st 2009 7:04 am

funny isnt it. When they wanted to borrow money it was all owned by his nibs and the government but now that that money has to actually be paid back nobody knows **** all about it. BS of a world class degree