Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

How do I get my flat rental deposit back?

How do I get my flat rental deposit back?

Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

shandolier is on a distinguished road
Default How do I get my flat rental deposit back?

Guessing this is a common issue and hoping somebody knows what I can do.

Paid a 2,000 Dirham deposit on a flat which I moved out of in January. Landlord (Emirati gentleman) refusing to pay it to me, claiming I need to get it from the (Indian) agent I rented from, who is saying I need to get it from the landlord.

I have a copy of the contract and a receipt for the deposit, which state that the landlord owes it to me.

Is there anyone I can go to who will help me get the money back?

Getting very angry and not sure what to do. Bitter taste in mouth!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

shandolier is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How do I get my flat rental deposit back?

Sorry but don't bother replying, agent just called. Apparently the maintenance the landlord had to do when I left the flat cost the full amount of the deposit (funny that) so I won't be getting a penny.

What a surprise. Guess I learnt my lesson and should have insisted on an inspection in the presence of the landlord and agent BEFORE I left and had the place painted and cleaned myself for 500 dirham.

Gits. I want to go home.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shandolier
Sorry but don't bother replying, agent just called. Apparently the maintenance the landlord had to do when I left the flat cost the full amount of the deposit (funny that) so I won't be getting a penny.

What a surprise. Guess I learnt my lesson and should have insisted on an inspection in the presence of the landlord and agent BEFORE I left and had the place painted and cleaned myself for 500 dirham.

Gits. I want to go home.
I just view the deposit as part of the rent. You don't get it back, I won't even be trying when I move out.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 11:32 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
I just view the deposit as part of the rent. You don't get it back, I won't even be trying when I move out.
I didn't even pay a deposit to rent my fully furnished all inclusive apartment in Bahrain, so there they must have done the right thing and just included maintenance in the rent from the word go..

For the villa I used to rent in Saudi however I am getting the full amount back (as far as I'm aware - picking cheque up this afternoon insha'allah), as the law states that the landlord can't enter the accommodation unless I have returned the key until 2 months have passed and obviously 2 months rent is more than my deposit..
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:07 pm

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

I think that’s a bit negative, you should at least ask. We rented 3 different villas in Dxb and got deposits back every time and all relatively easily. Worst case was we had to wait a couple of days from presentation of final settlement bills with DEWA and Etisalat to when we received the actual funds back.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 1:36 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

We got all of ours back. Estate Agent sent us this:

Our Estimation Engineer has visited the property and has noticed that you have taken good care of the property. He has given a report that only painting need to done at the apartment. The amount that will be charged by us for painting of the apartment is detailed below

1. Painting - Villa needs complete internal painting & Crack correction
in certain areas

2 painters x 2 days x AED 200 per day 800
2 helpers x 2 days x AED 150 per day 600
1 mason x 1 day x AED 200 per day 200
Paint material 1,500

2. Supervision overheads for engineer:
1 engineer x 1 day x AED 300 per day 300

3. Driver cost for transporting labour
2 days x 2 trips per day x AED 50/- per trip 200

Total Cost for Repair: 3,600

This is for a 2000 sq ft apartment, at this point I lost it completely. First I rang estate agent, he kept telling me it was in the contract. It wasn't.

I then went to estate agents office and told him if I didn't get full deposit back I would raise case with both RERA and the police the next day, as it was breach of contract and tantamount to theft.

I got the full amount back 2 days later.

Landlords have had years of shafting tenants here, now the market has gone against them they don't appreciate us returning the favour. To be honest, I could have done without the hassle of getting the deposit back, but as we looked after the apartment and is was in perfectly livable condition (we took photos once we left and had it cleaned) I wasn't willing to back down.

The deposit was money we paid to guarantee we would look after the place - which we did. And to me "refundable deposit" means just that.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:01 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Flipping cheek! Rental law says that tenants do not have to pay to repaint a property when handing it back, simply that it should be in good order. Some wear and tear is expected.

We got our deposit back in full when we moved last year.

-
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

You have protection in Dubai that we don't...

also, you don't know what I've done this flat...
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

also, you don't know what I've done this flat...
aww...and you always seem like such a nice boy...

MM, xx
Old Apr 12th 2010, 3:54 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shandolier

Gits. I want to go home.
I got done for 5k last year, so 2k isn't so bad mate.

I was furious, pissed off, ready to go mad - this went on for 6 months and I've just forgotten (almost) about it now.

Sometimes you have to move on.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 4:21 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, you've learned one thing now. Emiratis are bastards who can't be trusted when it comes to money. Sure there's a few decent ones around but most aren't.

Never hand over the keys until you get the deposit back. Always threaten to go to RERA and imply that you've had a conversation with so and so at RERA if they try to stand firm.