Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

How do I avoid paying UK income tax?

How do I avoid paying UK income tax?

Old Dec 19th 2004, 9:11 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute
Default How do I avoid paying UK income tax?

If I take the job I've been offered in Dubai, is it simply a matter of telling the Inland Revenue that I'm off and then staying out of the UK for at least 90 days each tax year if I want to be free of UK income tax? I've heard that if I move *after* April 1st 2005, I'll still be liable to pay UK income tax for the year - is this true?

Secondly, we'd want to be saving money for our eventual return to the UK - what would our best option be? To maintain a savings account with a British bank and transfer money every so often, or save locally and not convert the money into sterling until we actually repatriated?

I realise that these are questions best addressed to a proper tax/financial adviser, but we're still a way off getting to that stage and I'd be interested to hear the opinions/experiences of people round here first!
Old Dec 19th 2004, 9:15 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do I avoid paying UK income tax?

Originally Posted by GarethR
If I take the job I've been offered in Dubai, is it simply a matter of telling the Inland Revenue that I'm off and then staying out of the UK for at least 90 days each tax year if I want to be free of UK income tax? I've heard that if I move *after* April 1st 2005, I'll still be liable to pay UK income tax for the year - is this true?

Secondly, we'd want to be saving money for our eventual return to the UK - what would our best option be? To maintain a savings account with a British bank and transfer money every so often, or save locally and not convert the money into sterling until we actually repatriated?

I realise that these are questions best addressed to a proper tax/financial adviser, but we're still a way off getting to that stage and I'd be interested to hear the opinions/experiences of people round here first!
I think you need to speak to a relatively competent accountant......................Kristy...do you know any ??
Old Dec 19th 2004, 9:25 am
Troublemaker

kristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nicekristy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
I think you need to speak to a relatively competent accountant......................Kristy...do you know any ??
I know a very competent accountant but unfortunately she's no tax expert! I have a tax adviser, and I recommend people do this if they want to know the rules.

I believe you're supposed to be non-UK resident for a full tax year i.e. 6th April 2005 - 5th April 2006 to stop paying income tax on money you earn overseas. Not sure how many days you have to be out to count as non-UK resident.

I had to complete a form for leaving the UK and will be completing another form for re-entering the UK.

Try this link: http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/nonresidents/

I believe even as a non-resident you're still liable to pay tax on any income earned in the UK i.e. from renting out a property or interest earned. A lot of expats open offshore accounts.

Last edited by kristy; Dec 19th 2004 at 9:35 am.
Old Dec 19th 2004, 9:31 am
TA5
Banned (Always Correct)

TA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond reputeTA5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kristy
I know a very competent accountant but unfortunately she's no tax expert! I have a tax adviser, and I recommend people do this if they want to know the rules.

I believe you're supposed to be non-UK resident for a full tax year to stop paying income tax. Not sure how many days you have to be out to count as non-UK resident.
Yes, i agree, get a competent accountant or tax adviser (preferably tax attorney) from your home country, they can look into airtight ways to keep you tax free
Old Dec 19th 2004, 11:25 am
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice

Originally Posted by kristy

I believe you're supposed to be non-UK resident for a full tax year i.e. 6th April 2005 - 5th April 2006 to stop paying income tax on money you earn overseas. Not sure how many days you have to be out to count as non-UK resident.

I had to complete a form for leaving the UK and will be completing another form for re-entering the UK.

Try this link: http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/nonresidents/

I believe even as a non-resident you're still liable to pay tax on any income earned in the UK i.e. from renting out a property or interest earned. A lot of expats open offshore accounts.

I still have my business account in the UK but I can pay myself thru the business a/c into my offshore account and not be liable for work done thru the company accounts. it is a very very grey area area.

I am a company sec. of another company in the UK and live overseas. This is possible which i thought odd at first however am not liable for any tax.

Work abroad and keep the account overseas or offshore then Tony B can piss off.

You will be liable for all income such as rental income as the property is in the UK. So open up a business account and pay thru that.
Old Dec 19th 2004, 11:27 am
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice

Originally Posted by GarethR

u can open an offshore savings account in isle of Man and Tony B can kiss ur arse.

drop me an email if u need some data and names. A financial advisor will rip u off and not be too interested when they know ur leaving. I can put u touch with a stocks and shares man in dubai if ur interested in making a bit nore than a regualr savings account as well.

PS i never smile.
Old Dec 19th 2004, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

DubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud of

A good shag will get you very far
Old Dec 19th 2004, 11:36 am
The 5th Amendment

Originally Posted by DubaiExpat
A good shag will get you very far
soph.... this is about tax not the bondage of taxation.
Old Dec 19th 2004, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

DubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by joseph.creative
soph.... this is about tax not the bondage of taxation.
Oh sorry, I had just assumed!!
Old Dec 19th 2004, 12:20 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

Phone the Uk taxman....his advise is free and also very useful...worked for me the past few years. He'll also advise you of any monies u can claim back. Unfortunately even with the IR gateway u still can't file expat tax returns on line...paper copies only.... TS