Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

How to divorce my husband who lives in Abu Dhabi (and I don't)

How to divorce my husband who lives in Abu Dhabi (and I don't)

Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:55 pm
Just Joined

Jolie Gal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to divorce my husband who lives in Abu Dhabi (and I don't)

Hello all,

First time poster here. I am not British but I did my graduate degree in London so I hope it counts :-)

I turn to this online forum because I have no idea what else I can do. My husband and I have been married for almost 10 years. Since 2011 we have been living in different countries (he lives in Abu Dhabi). He is an American citizen (I'm not) and we got married in Europe. I cannot file for a divorce in the country I live in now because I have never registered the marriage to the civil court (our marriage license is an international one and totally legit, but it's the local law that I should have registered it).

I am not sure whether he keeps his residency in the United States or not so not sure whether he can file from the States (yea, we were that kind of couple who gave each other space...well, too much space now apparently).

So, the only option appears to be to file from UAE where he has his residency now.

Let's just say that I finally realise that the man I married 9-something years ago is a scumbag. I even have a written confession of him committing adultery in Abu Dhabi (the nerve! Don't they stone adulterous there???). I have enough and wants to get a divorce. We do not have kids so it should be simple and easy right? Wrong. I have looked on UAE judicial department website for information on the divorce procedure, sent him the link (and the information so he could not give me the excuse that he was too lazy to click on the link!). The last thing I heard from him was that he would find a lawyer. A lawyer? It should not be a contested divorce right? I have no proof but I know the man and I am sure he already has a girlfriend. I just want to put this behind me and move on with my life.

But whatever, a lawyer it is. I told him to have his lawyer call me because I was not willing to deal with his drama (by now, it is quite obvious that he has a problem with control, isn't it?). It's been a month, and no lawyer calling me. Please let me know if I'm wrong, it shouldn't be that hard to find a lawyer in Abu Dhabi right??? I mean, I have consulted three lawyers in less than a week hence I found out that I could not file here.

The problem here, he knows that I cannot file (my bad, too honest...well, I used to think he was my best friend) from here, so he is dragging this out. My question is: Is it possible for me to file for a divorce in the UAE even though I'm neither a citizen or a resident? The analytical side of my brain tells me that it is not possible. But the 'crazy' side of me tells me that it MAY be possible???? Any other ideas on what I can do to divorce him??? The more he is indulging in his power trip, the more I want to get rid of him like...yesterday.

Thank you.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to divorce my husband who lives in Abu Dhabi (and I don't)

Why get divorced. ?
Old Nov 16th 2013, 5:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

you sound bitter.

Unless you are looking to marry again, does it really matter?
Old Nov 16th 2013, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

sicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond reputesicklyman has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure that either of the two last replies have ever had to face the issue of divorce. That seems to be obvious from their simplistic (bordering on trite) replies. Psychologically it makes all the difference in the world whether you have the ability to divorce the person who has betrayed you by committing adultery. She didn't have control of his infidelity, now she has no control over the divorce. That's a very difficult place to be emotionally. You can clearly see from the post that she needs this to get on with her life.

My only suggestion is that as you are still married, you go ahead and register the marriage in your home country. Once that's done, could you then apply for a divorce there?

Bear in mind that getting a lawyer is a standard procedure for almost all divorces. It doesn't necessarily mean that your husband is contesting it. It may simply mean that he doesn't want to be bothered with the paperwork himself. One other option might be to get the name or contact details off your husband for his lawyer and then make contact yourself... assuming he actually has contacted a lawyer.

Sorry to hear of your predicament and hope that you can put this behind you as soon as possible.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 6:20 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Can you not file for divorce in the Country you were married in? I'd have thought that would be the easiest way.

When I got divorced the ex filed in the UK and it all went ahead really quickly, I didn't have a lawyer, just accepted it.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

i second registering it in your home country. Does he or you own any property? You could also file there? The first to file definitely has the upper hand so I'd get on it as quickly as you can. (I'm intrigued, how often did you see each other??)
Old Nov 18th 2013, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

trying to think how many of my american friends are whinging about the wife they married in Europe... Abu Dhabi is a small place...
Old Nov 18th 2013, 12:54 pm
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

What's the bets the OP won't be back?
Old Nov 18th 2013, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
What's the bets the OP won't be back?
I don't think Ladbrookes' book is still open.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

driftingaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done everybody. This forum is so very helpful sometimes.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 3:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by driftingaway
Well done everybody. This forum is so very helpful sometimes.
Balls! We're helpful in areas that we can help. The O.P. needs a lawyer aquinted with the unusual situation, not a bunch of Brits who don't get themselves into difficult situations.

Last edited by OleJanx; Nov 18th 2013 at 3:04 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 3:28 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jolie Gal
Hello all,

First time poster here. I am not British but I did my graduate degree in London so I hope it counts :-)

I turn to this online forum because I have no idea what else I can do. My husband and I have been married for almost 10 years. Since 2011 we have been living in different countries (he lives in Abu Dhabi). He is an American citizen (I'm not) and we got married in Europe. I cannot file for a divorce in the country I live in now because I have never registered the marriage to the civil court (our marriage license is an international one and totally legit, but it's the local law that I should have registered it).

I am not sure whether he keeps his residency in the United States or not so not sure whether he can file from the States (yea, we were that kind of couple who gave each other space...well, too much space now apparently).

So, the only option appears to be to file from UAE where he has his residency now.

Let's just say that I finally realise that the man I married 9-something years ago is a scumbag. I even have a written confession of him committing adultery in Abu Dhabi (the nerve! Don't they stone adulterous there???). I have enough and wants to get a divorce. We do not have kids so it should be simple and easy right? Wrong. I have looked on UAE judicial department website for information on the divorce procedure, sent him the link (and the information so he could not give me the excuse that he was too lazy to click on the link!). The last thing I heard from him was that he would find a lawyer. A lawyer? It should not be a contested divorce right? I have no proof but I know the man and I am sure he already has a girlfriend. I just want to put this behind me and move on with my life.

But whatever, a lawyer it is. I told him to have his lawyer call me because I was not willing to deal with his drama (by now, it is quite obvious that he has a problem with control, isn't it?). It's been a month, and no lawyer calling me. Please let me know if I'm wrong, it shouldn't be that hard to find a lawyer in Abu Dhabi right??? I mean, I have consulted three lawyers in less than a week hence I found out that I could not file here.

The problem here, he knows that I cannot file (my bad, too honest...well, I used to think he was my best friend) from here, so he is dragging this out. My question is: Is it possible for me to file for a divorce in the UAE even though I'm neither a citizen or a resident? The analytical side of my brain tells me that it is not possible. But the 'crazy' side of me tells me that it MAY be possible???? Any other ideas on what I can do to divorce him??? The more he is indulging in his power trip, the more I want to get rid of him like...yesterday.

Thank you.
Hi Jolie,

This may not be the best place to ask your questions as the majority of our members are either British, or are married to a British citizen. Suggest you contact someone in the legal profession who has experience with international divorces either in your current country of residence, or in the country where the marriage took place.

The best of luck with everything.

Thread Closed