used local agencies
17.65%
Am still looking !!..........
17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

How did you get your job in Dubai

Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:15 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default How did you get your job in Dubai

Am a little bored so i thought id do a poll.

so how did you lot get your jobs...was it UK/US secondment, did you set up your own company or use local recruitment companies
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did you get your job in Dubai

Me too, so I thought I'd reply

How have you been? Are you back in Dubai?

Cheers
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:26 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

can you please Put Wasta in that Poll??
Old Jan 9th 2006, 11:31 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Am a little bored so i thought id do a poll.

so how did you lot get your jobs...was it UK/US secondment, did you set up your own company or use local recruitment companies
Hmmm... local recruitment were crap in my experience. None of the above. Closed my UK (self employed) company. Came here with no job. Spent 6 weeks of meetings / networking / cold calling etc... found the job in Gulf News of all places...
Old Jan 9th 2006, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Autonomy
Hmmm... local recruitment were crap in my experience. None of the above. Closed my UK (self employed) company. Came here with no job. Spent 6 weeks of meetings / networking / cold calling etc... found the job in Gulf News of all places...

Oh, even I got it through Gulf news, but the advert was put by a recruitment agency.

Changing jobs is also a pain - when my resume went to another employer, my boss came to know about it the same evening

It is a very unprofessional set up here
Old Jan 13th 2006, 9:43 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

was a chance thing, u know that.... now on the look out for something else. Have to keep myself occupied till Sept.

Anyone looking for newbie?
Old Jan 14th 2006, 4:50 am
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute

None of the above... the company I originally came out here to work for was relocating from London to Dubai, and I was asked to send them a showreel (I was working for a different company in London at the time).

EDIT - Hmmm... should check to see if it's me or the missus logged in before I reply!
Old Jan 14th 2006, 7:00 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Zannie
EDIT - Hmmm... should check to see if it's me or the missus logged in before I reply!

heh heh heh heh/
Old Jan 14th 2006, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Benson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to beholdBenson is a splendid one to behold

I knew a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy who had a place! Isn't that how most people get jobs? Found the agencies were useless. Still have my name on a few of them from years back nearly 7 and still no replies. You gotta get your name out to say you need a job.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 9:15 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benson
I knew a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy who had a place! Isn't that how most people get jobs? Found the agencies were useless. Still have my name on a few of them from years back nearly 7 and still no replies. You gotta get your name out to say you need a job.

point to be noted.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 9:41 am
The Oracle

Originally Posted by Benson
well thats not how I got my first job.... they found me.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 7:47 pm
aka Mr. X

eclectic-x has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic-x has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic-x has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic-x has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic-x has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic-x has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic-x has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic-x has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic-x has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic-x has a reputation beyond reputeeclectic-x has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Face81
well thats not how I got my first job.... they found me.
Still, it was through a guy you met that knew another guy. Seems to be a pattern here, unless you're JD and sought after by many.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 7:58 pm
The Oracle

Originally Posted by eclectic-x
Still, it was through a guy you met that knew another guy. Seems to be a pattern here, unless you're JD and sought after by many.
actually, no.... My boss really did find and hire me.
Old Jan 15th 2006, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Daz7 is a jewel in the roughDaz7 is a jewel in the roughDaz7 is a jewel in the roughDaz7 is a jewel in the roughDaz7 is a jewel in the rough

I currently work as an Account Manager for one of the big mobile networks in the UK where I manage a portfolio of corporate accounts.

I'm looking for work in Dubai and have registered with about 15 agencies but have had nothing back from any of them yet.

Like you say it's who you know so I was just going to ask if anybody knows of any opportunites I would be very grateful.

Cheers

Darren
Old Jan 16th 2006, 6:42 am
The Oracle

Originally Posted by Daz7
I currently work as an Account Manager for one of the big mobile networks in the UK where I manage a portfolio of corporate accounts.

I'm looking for work in Dubai and have registered with about 15 agencies but have had nothing back from any of them yet.

Like you say it's who you know so I was just going to ask if anybody knows of any opportunites I would be very grateful.

Cheers

Darren
Hello Darren....

The best advice I would give you as I have given to counte=less other forumers is that you need to get yourself here to show the agencies that you are committed. Even if it is for a couple of days, if you fly out, set up meetings and organise interviews, it makes their job alot easier as there are literally hundreds of thousands of people trying to get into Dubai at the mo and they mainly focus on the people that are in town as its easier to work with them.

Hope that helps.