Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

How Big is Football over in Dubai?

How Big is Football over in Dubai?

Old Apr 20th 2005, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice
Default Re: How Big is Football over in Dubai?

Originally Posted by Face81
Alot of the magpies were over in Dubai about 10 days ago.... they were even spotted at Scarlets. Heard they were staying at ET as well.

this talk soccer fella wants to train/play at local clubs.
I had the pleasure to dine alongside them at the Chinese place in Mina'A'Salam. They have been spending an awful lot of time in Dubai in the last two months. Alan was nice enough to have let me take a picture with my son and hubby when they had a training session at Emirates Golf Club.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 11:19 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Palm Tree
I had the pleasure to dine alongside them at the Chinese place in Mina'A'Salam. They have been spending an awful lot of time in Dubai in the last two months. Alan was nice enough to have let me take a picture with my son and hubby when they had a training session at Emirates Golf Club.
cool!
Old Apr 20th 2005, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice

This article might be of interest:

http://www.gulfnews.com/Articles/Spo...ticleID=160797
Old Apr 24th 2005, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

Talksoccer will become famous soon enough

Hey all,

Thanks for the help with this. I just came across this today and as much as i like Dubai, i dont want any person to buy Manchester United that involves the prince himself.

Arab bid Sheikh planning £900m takeover

MANCHESTER United are a takeover target for one of the world's richest men.

United are believed to be facing a £900million bid from a company controlled by Dubai's Crown Prince Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum and backed by the government of the oil-rich country.

Sheikh Mohammed, who owns a huge string of top racehorses, has become friendly with United boss Sir Alex Ferguson through their love of the sport.

Last month his company, Dubai International Capital (DIC), bought the Madame Tussauds Group which includes Alton Towers, Chessington World of Adventures and a one-third share in the London Eye for £1.6bn.

DIC have been analysing the club for the last few months and are believed to be ready to table a bid.

"One of their prime concerns is to ensure there wouldn't be opposition from board and fans," said a City analyst.

"There is growing interest in the Middle East in English clubs. We've just seen Emirates Airlines finance the new Arsenal stadium. But whoever comes looking for United is going to have to win over the fans."

DIC's chief executive Sameer Al Ansari said last night: "I cannot comment on this suggestion."
Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:49 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Talksoccer
Hey all,

Thanks for the help with this. I just came across this today and as much as i like Dubai, i dont want any person to buy Manchester United that involves the prince himself.
hmmmmmmmm............ well researched!

He is going around buying the oddest of things, isnt he????!!!! I mean if he went out and bought cars, that'd be fine, but buying up London? LOL
Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Face81
hmmmmmmmm............ well researched!

He is going around buying the oddest of things, isnt he????!!!! I mean if he went out and bought cars, that'd be fine, but buying up London? LOL
He might ALMOST sign for spurs you know
Old Apr 24th 2005, 10:41 pm
The Oracle

He might ALMOST sign for spurs you know
lolololol....... hope he doesnt put in a bid for the millennium dome next! LOL
Old Apr 24th 2005, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

Thats why Dubai>>>>UK

How on earth did we spend a billion pound altogether on the dome while Dubai are building fantastic landmarks for a lot less.

Old Apr 24th 2005, 10:45 pm
The Oracle

Thats why Dubai>>>>UK

How on earth did we spend a billion pound altogether on the dome while Dubai are building fantastic landmarks for a lot less.

hahahaha..........

dunno really. good question though!

the bloody 2 billion pound mono rail better be good when it opens in 2009!
Old Apr 24th 2005, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

Have you been over to Birmingham, they have spent a lot on there city centre and the bullring shopping complex but my word its well worth it. It is fantastic and really does give Birmingham a great image.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 10:52 pm
The Oracle

Have you been over to Birmingham, they have spent a lot on there city centre and the bullring shopping complex but my word its well worth it. It is fantastic and really does give Birmingham a great image.
havent been out of london, yet.

Havent got anytime left for this half of the year..... i head off back to Dubai in 3 days! woohoo!

I will be home for a 5 month summer break!

perhaps when I get back, I might consider travelling around the UK a bit. Infact, I will make sure I do.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

Ah im so jealous, your going to have a great time and the fact your going to be in the sun while im stuck in this awful weather makes me want to go too

What you looking forward to over there? Also keep me updated if you find any jobs involving football what so ever

Also have a good time

Old Apr 25th 2005, 6:18 am
The Oracle

Ah im so jealous, your going to have a great time and the fact your going to be in the sun while im stuck in this awful weather makes me want to go too

What you looking forward to over there? Also keep me updated if you find any jobs involving football what so ever

Also have a good time

Thanks buddy, I am certain that I will have a good time!

well, i'll have u know that the heat isnt something I am looking forward to. I love the cooler & wetter weather here in the UK.

I am hopin to secure a summer job actually, hopefully in a related field. i am sort of fedup of being unemployed, its time Face became part of the employed World.

Oh and here is something that appeared in this AM's papers back in Dubai....

Published: 25/4/2005, 08:01 (UAE)

Dubai denies plans to acquire Man United

By Robin Chatterjee, Sports Editor
Dubai:

A senior official has dismissed reports in a leading British tabloid that Manchester United was facing a £900 million (Dh6.5 billion) takeover bid from a Dubai-based company.

"The information is false. Dubai Holding or any of its units has not bid for any team," Mohammad Al Gergawi, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Dubai Holding, told Gulf News yesterday.

It was reported yesterday that Dubai International Capital (DIC), a unit of Dubai Holding, had reportedly expressed an interest in bidding for the English Premiership heavyweight, one of the world's richest soccer clubs.

There was further speculation that DIC had been analysing the club for the last few months and were ready to make a bid.

Emphatically denying that suggestion, Al Gergawi said: "The takeover bid is not within the strategy of Dubai Holding. We do not know where that information came from and why."

Last month, DIC bought the Madame Tussauds Group for a reported £1.6 billion (Dh11.37 billion).

On Saturday, Dubai Holding announced a Dh20 million sponsorship deal with the UAE Football Association, the richest in the nation's soccer history.

American millionaire Malcolm Glazer, who owns 26 per cent of Manchester United, has been in the news for hounding United shareholders with threats of a takeover.

The Dh18-billion Dubai Sports City is scheduled to house the Manchester United soccer academy upon completion in 2007.

now what do ya make of that? lol