How bad is Doha?

Old Feb 26th 2012, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

MrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really niceMrBAH is just really nice
Default Re: How bad is Doha?

Great response Mr Blast, particularly as Im looking to escape working in Manchester to get out to Qatar!
Old Feb 27th 2012, 4:58 am
Just Joined

byronesque is an unknown quantity at this point

3- 4 years in Atyrau I know it well bud. Also working out my move from KZ to UAE.

Originally Posted by mrblast
Ok, just wanted to give my point of view about Doha seeing as everyone is complaining about it.

I'm originally from Manchester, UK and I have been in Doha for six months. Prior to moving here, I worked in Kazakhstan for four years. I've really enjoyed my time here so far so I find it slightly odd when people claim it's a 'shit hole' and that it's 'boring'. Can people honestly claim that they have exhausted all of the various things there are to do in Doha to the extent that they are tired of them? What is it that people expect? Do people expect to have exactly the same facilities that we have in the UK? In the UK my free time was filled with going to the gym, going for meals, going to bars, going shopping, and going to the cinema. There are masses of options to do all of that here.

The weather is generally great here, I live in a fantastic apartment on the pearl that has it's own gym and pool, I've met some brilliant people (Expat and Qatari), I'm not quite sure what people expect really. Yes there are bad sides to living here, the weather does get very hot, there is a lot of construction taking place, but then there are bad sides to living everywhere. The fact is that we are all paid well to live here and it is a good lifestyle overall. If you can obtain a good packaged to come here, I'd recommend you do so.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, just wanted to give my point of view about Doha seeing as everyone is complaining about it.

I'm originally from Manchester, UK and I have been in Doha for six months. Prior to moving here, I worked in Kazakhstan for four years. I've really enjoyed my time here so far so I find it slightly odd when people claim it's a 'shit hole' and that it's 'boring'. Can people honestly claim that they have exhausted all of the various things there are to do in Doha to the extent that they are tired of them? What is it that people expect? Do people expect to have exactly the same facilities that we have in the UK? In the UK my free time was filled with going to the gym, going for meals, going to bars, going shopping, and going to the cinema. There are masses of options to do all of that here.

The weather is generally great here, I live in a fantastic apartment on the pearl that has it's own gym and pool, I've met some brilliant people (Expat and Qatari), I'm not quite sure what people expect really. Yes there are bad sides to living here, the weather does get very hot, there is a lot of construction taking place, but then there are bad sides to living everywhere. The fact is that we are all paid well to live here and it is a good lifestyle overall. If you can obtain a good packaged to come here, I'd recommend you do so.
I arrived in dusty Qatar last night after spending 5 days in the U.A.E and i can say hand on heart that it's as boring as ever and still looks like a shithole.

The end
Old Feb 27th 2012, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

amy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the rough

Well I love it here! We are no better off in England, but we have a MUCH better quality of life. No more 3 hour commutes for my hubby, so we spend a lot more time together. Much easier to make friends, so we have a good social life - way better than we had in the UK when we pretty much lived to work.

I am indulging in loads of my favourite hobbies such as sailing, diving, swimming and (hopefully soon) kite surfing.

I've got a gym and pool on my doorstep instead of having to drive 20 minutes in the freezing cold like I did in England.

I go to the beach EVERY day!

There are loads of nice restaurants, the weather is good most of the time (and even when it's cold like it is now, you appreciate it more).

Our house is lovely and way nicer than the 2-bed terrace we lived in UK commuter-belt-dullsville.

I have met a few whingers in Doha, but most people, including me, try and keep out of their way to be honest, so that they don't get dragged down themselves - in any case, as the old saying goes, only boring people get bored and I genuinely think that is true! This board does have a reputation locally as being very negative, and for that reason most Doha-ites do tend to stay away from it, so you don't tend to get a very representative view just from reading the threads on here.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amy77
Well I love it here! We are no better off in England, but we have a MUCH better quality of life. No more 3 hour commutes for my hubby, so we spend a lot more time together. Much easier to make friends, so we have a good social life - way better than we had in the UK when we pretty much lived to work.

I am indulging in loads of my favourite hobbies such as sailing, diving, swimming and (hopefully soon) kite surfing.

I've got a gym and pool on my doorstep instead of having to drive 20 minutes in the freezing cold like I did in England.

I go to the beach EVERY day!

There are loads of nice restaurants, the weather is good most of the time (and even when it's cold like it is now, you appreciate it more).

Our house is lovely and way nicer than the 2-bed terrace we lived in UK commuter-belt-dullsville.

I have met a few whingers in Doha, but most people, including me, try and keep out of their way to be honest, so that they don't get dragged down themselves - in any case, as the old saying goes, only boring people get bored and I genuinely think that is true! This board does have a reputation locally as being very negative, and for that reason most Doha-ites do tend to stay away from it, so you don't tend to get a very representative view just from reading the threads on here.

Why does this board have a reputation for being negative ? Is it because it's not like Expat woman Qatar which moderates it's threads so that it spins positive posts about Qatar and bars people who dare ask normal questions about the less than rosy aspects of life in Doha . I hear the only thing that's missing from the coffee mornings in the Villaggio is the cauldron ?

The reason i like this board is because it is representative and because you get the full on the money story with maybe a touch of irony thrown in . Thats maybe what people don't want to hear and it may spoil the dream but people make their own minds up in the end and that what counts.

I just tell it as i see it and give an objective view on it . Im glad you like it , that's cool but commuter belt dullsville c'mon Qatar is dullsville .
If there's something good here i'll nail it and tell it and if there's something shite then i'll tell it as i see it as well but i'm not going to put a spin on it . Expats can be very perochial and even more so in Doha which i can never understand as it has a very limited choices for a great lifestyle .

Ive been working overseas for nearly 20 years in good and bad places and an awful lot of that time spent in The Gulf and i too have the same lifestyle as you and probably a little bit more thrown in as well . What i do know is that i have enough hours on the clock to make an objective judgement about a place like Qatar and what it has to offer.

It also takes more than a swimming pool a rowing machine and a few dodgy beaches to impress me

Last edited by co durham boy; Feb 27th 2012 at 10:54 am.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 12:02 pm
Wub
Forum Regular

Wub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to behold

We worked in Doha for five years and for the most part, enjoyed our time there. Yes, it can get dull and yes, it can sometimes feel like groundhog day there but in that time we saved enough cash to pay off a mortgage back home and up grade some domestic stuff.

We also enjoyed some fabulous holidays - fully paid for and not on the credit card - something that we'd never been able to do back home.

Its not the UAE. It doesn't have the spark that other places in the gulf have but if you want to sort out your finances while living in a reasonable location its a good (temporary) move to make.
Old Feb 28th 2012, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

amy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the roughamy77 is a jewel in the rough

Co Durham Boy - I think because I lived in England until exactly 1 year ago today, perhaps this gives me a more positive outlook on Qatar. If you've worked overseas for the past 20 years, then it's entirely possible that despite regular visits back to the "homeland", you might not realise just how shitty life in England has become over the past few years.

I've found that with quite a few expats over here - they moan about the prices and commutes etc, but don't seem to realise how expensive England has become, or that there are 10 million more cars on the road now compared to when they left the UK and you work 200 days a year just to pay petrol/train fares and taxes etc etc.

A lot of it for me is to do with living near the sea as well, so that's a personal thing, since I am so into sea-based sports (scared to say watersports because of other implications )

And yes, Expatwoman is a very happy, clappy board, but I've met some really lovely people through it, who are all very positive about living here, which is nice to be around because it can be hard out here and you don't need to be dragged down by other people on top of all the other crap you have to put up with every day. And it's them who I have discussed this board with (and yes it has been noted by more than one person I've spoken to that there is a general downer about Qatar on here - you see it in every single Qatar thread!).

Personally, I stay away from coffee mornings, they bring me out in a severe rash (along with dinner parties), so can't comment on the cauldron, but I can imagine there is probably some truth in that!

Right, I'm off to the beach again!
Old Feb 28th 2012, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Personally, I stay away from coffee mornings, they bring me out in a severe rash
maybe it's the watersports giving you that rash
Old Feb 28th 2012, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Tony8310 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just progressing to interview and package offer, although not for a specific project (e.g. building). Looking forward to the oppertunity to remove myself from the UK duldrums for a while!
Old Feb 28th 2012, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Co Durham Boy - I think because I lived in England until exactly 1 year ago today, perhaps this gives me a more positive outlook on Qatar. If you've worked overseas for the past 20 years, then it's entirely possible that despite regular visits back to the "homeland", you might not realise just how shitty life in England has become over the past few years.

I've found that with quite a few expats over here - they moan about the prices and commutes etc, but don't seem to realise how expensive England has become, or that there are 10 million more cars on the road now compared to when they left the UK and you work 200 days a year just to pay petrol/train fares and taxes etc etc.

A lot of it for me is to do with living near the sea as well, so that's a personal thing, since I am so into sea-based sports (scared to say watersports because of other implications )

And yes, Expatwoman is a very happy, clappy board, but I've met some really lovely people through it, who are all very positive about living here, which is nice to be around because it can be hard out here and you don't need to be dragged down by other people on top of all the other crap you have to put up with every day. And it's them who I have discussed this board with (and yes it has been noted by more than one person I've spoken to that there is a general downer about Qatar on here - you see it in every single Qatar thread!).

Personally, I stay away from coffee mornings, they bring me out in a severe rash (along with dinner parties), so can't comment on the cauldron, but I can imagine there is probably some truth in that!

Right, I'm off to the beach again!
As i've said before if you enjoy it then cool and good for you . Qatar is just another dull boring mundane city in The Gulf , a little bit better than some and not as good as others , thats it . It's just a means to an end for everyone here as we've all got to leave sometime .Qatar will give me the ability to hang my boots up early and to slip away to a place where i can retire disgracefully , nothing more nothing less . I'll take the best the city has to offer and just jettison all the other bullshit .

Never put your total faith in your Arab paymasters as somewhere along the line they'll come true to form and you'll be back on the commute.

Being out here for a long time makes you look at the facts not the fiction and life is a little bit more complicated in Qatar than the bed of roses the lovely ladies from Expatwoman make out . For every thread about Canadian silk haberdashery and low sodium cookie mix i'll give you one about forced labour , violence and drug dealing in The Industrial area.

The only thing i want to take away from Qatar is money , the country has nothing to offer me that i cant i can't get elsewhere in a better environment except for the money .

Enjoy the beach and watch out for the dogshit

Last edited by co durham boy; Feb 28th 2012 at 10:15 am.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

mrblast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by co durham boy
As i've said before if you enjoy it then cool and good for you . Qatar is just another dull boring mundane city in The Gulf , a little bit better than some and not as good as others , thats it . It's just a means to an end for everyone here as we've all got to leave sometime .Qatar will give me the ability to hang my boots up early and to slip away to a place where i can retire disgracefully , nothing more nothing less . I'll take the best the city has to offer and just jettison all the other bullshit .

Never put your total faith in your Arab paymasters as somewhere along the line they'll come true to form and you'll be back on the commute.

Being out here for a long time makes you look at the facts not the fiction and life is a little bit more complicated in Qatar than the bed of roses the lovely ladies from Expatwoman make out . For every thread about Canadian silk haberdashery and low sodium cookie mix i'll give you one about forced labour , violence and drug dealing in The Industrial area.

The only thing i want to take away from Qatar is money , the country has nothing to offer me that i cant i can't get elsewhere in a better environment except for the money .

Enjoy the beach and watch out for the dogshit
Everyone is obviously entitled to their own view but what is it specifically that is unique about Qatar that makes you hate it so much? And where would be a viable alternative location for you to live and work that wouldn't have such issues?
Old Mar 1st 2012, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Everyone is obviously entitled to their own view but what is it specifically that is unique about Qatar that makes you hate it so much? And where would be a viable alternative location for you to live and work that wouldn't have such issues?
If i hated it i would leave , end of mate . Your completely missing my point . I'm here because of my work and to provide for my family , nothing else as thats my job in life . The thing that keeps me here is working for a good company and having a great financial incentive to stay and providing stability and a financial cushion for the future.

I can be totally objective in my opinion about any place i've worked in as i have no ties with any of them . Qatar doesn't offer me any rights as i'm under sponsorship on a working visa . I'm a temporary guest in this country and will be treated as such . I could profess unrequited love for the U.K but the HMRC stops me doing that .

The things i do not like about Qatar are probably the inherent racism , hypocrisy , lack of enforceable basic law , poor working conditions for labour , poor working business environment , below standard decision making , the ignorance and arrogance of certain members of society coupled with a sense of superiority based on birthright . I have arounnd 500 guys to look after on this project now comprising around 12 nationalities , seeing them dipped into varying depths of buckets of shit dependent on passport is indefensible . Does it happen in other Gulf countries , yes it does . Does that excuse it here , no it doesn't .

The best things would be a good hub for travel , a decent airline , good job , good financial benefits , good sporting facilities . Plenty scope for work and future projects plus i've met some good people here .

If i had a choice i'd go back to Hong Kong , Dubai , Singapore or Muscat but alas ive been and done the first three and work is thin on the ground in most of these locations .

I don't come to these places to immerse myself in the culture and find myself , i come because it makes my exit back to reality quicker .

Until that time comes i'll tell it as it is just as and be as cynical and scathing as ever when things are wrong and generous with praise when deserved just as i did when i was on this forum and working in Dubai .

Dont believe the hype lad

Last edited by co durham boy; Mar 1st 2012 at 7:36 am.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 10:12 am
Living the dream

abbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to allabbey08 is a name known to all

On the plus side I find the airport is usually reasonably empty when I fly out to somewhere else.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

gottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to allgottheTshirt is a name known to all

Originally Posted by co durham boy
. Qatar doesn't offer me any rights as i'm under sponsorship on a working visa . I'm a temporary guest in this country and will be treated as such . I could profess unrequited love for the U.K but the HMRC stops me doing that .

The things i do not like about Qatar are probably the inherent racism , hypocrisy , lack of enforceable basic law , poor working conditions for labour , poor working business environment , below standard decision making , the ignorance and arrogance of certain members of society coupled with a sense of superiority based on birthright

The best things would be a good hub for travel , a decent airline , good job , good financial benefits , good sporting facilities . Plenty scope for work and future projects plus i've met some good people here .

The dislikes apply to almost every country in the world. Racism is just as prevalent in India, Pakistan, the whole of Africa and most of Asia. Visas are required everywher not just Qatar. The dislikes are pretty mild compared to many places. The ignorance is all part of deal if the weren't ignorant we would not be here and we would not be coming back every ten years to sort out the mess.

The likes are positive - So what is wrong with Qatar: not a lot, it is certainly not shite - it is expensive, but that is relative. What matters is standard of living and what gets paid into the bank account. I have no complaints on any fronts.

The
Old Mar 1st 2012, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt
The dislikes apply to almost every country in the world. Racism is just as prevalent in India, Pakistan, the whole of Africa and most of Asia. Visas are required everywher not just Qatar. The dislikes are pretty mild compared to many places. The ignorance is all part of deal if the weren't ignorant we would not be here and we would not be coming back every ten years to sort out the mess.

The likes are positive - So what is wrong with Qatar: not a lot, it is certainly not shite - it is expensive, but that is relative. What matters is standard of living and what gets paid into the bank account. I have no complaints on any fronts.

The
So it's all ok because it happens elsewhere..........

yawn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.