Reload this Page >

Housing the twins in Doha!

Housing the twins in Doha!

Old May 30th 2009, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

KJMT is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Housing the twins in Doha!

Hello,

I have been offered a position in Doha and will be bringing my wife and twins (10 months old) to live with me later in the year. I believe the best type of accommodation would be a villa compound.
What is the best way to go about finding a suitable compound and do you know the names and rents per month of these? (preferably somewhere with a pool and grassy area for them to crawl around)
Will it be easy for my wife to move about the city with the twins?
Are there any twins clubs?
I need to be close enough to the airport where I'm working.
Thanks
KJMT
Old May 30th 2009, 4:55 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing the twins in Doha!

Can't really speak for Doha, cos my experience is just in Dubai, but if the 2 cities are anything similar then firstly, for accessibility with a twin buggy, I'd suggest a Phil'n'Teds or similar - side-by-side buggies could easily be a challenge, not just in terms of doorways, but also pavement widths, drop-curbs (lack of), etc... Also, I got one of those "Protect-a-bub" canopy things, that blocks out UV rays - and found it a godsend. There are lots of different brands and variations on the market, but anyhow, it's the same idea.

Secondly, if there isn't a twins club, then your wife could always set one up - it's not that hard to create an informal coffee morning or some such. Get her online looking at some of the more mother-and-baby orientated sites/forums. There may be a relevant group on Facebook too.
Old May 30th 2009, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJMT
Hello,

I have been offered a position in Doha and will be bringing my wife and twins (10 months old) to live with me later in the year. I believe the best type of accommodation would be a villa compound.
What is the best way to go about finding a suitable compound and do you know the names and rents per month of these? (preferably somewhere with a pool and grassy area for them to crawl around)
Will it be easy for my wife to move about the city with the twins?
Are there any twins clubs?
I need to be close enough to the airport where I'm working.
Thanks
KJMT
Hello,

accom..... a decent 3 bed villa in a compound will cost you about 16 to 20 000 QR per month. there are cheaper places available, but the quality is not good, it all depends on your budget and what you want. Will your company help you to find housing?

To get around town, your wife will need a car. Taxis are available, but not reliable. I would not suggest for your wife to attempt to walk around with a pram...the sidewalks are either atrocious or not available, plus walking around can be uncomfortable due to staring etc. from certain individuals.

Many compounds have play areas for kids, there most probably will be a pool, gym, basketball court etc. Depends on the quality of the compound.

Right now it is very hot, about 48 degrees celsius, and it will get worse until October, then it will cool down and it will be nice until April, so being outside is not recommended right now, especially for small children

I don't know about twin clubs, never heard of it, sorry.

I really can't tell you names of compounds, as there are new ones built almost every day....

Your wife could log on to www.expatwoman.com, they have a section for Doha, and there are many ladies with small children, ready to help.

There is also www.qatarliving.com , where you can find a lot of info about Doha.

Good luck!
Old May 30th 2009, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

twinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant future

My twins were 18 months old when we moved to Doha. I left my mammoth twin pram at home and just bought the twin stroller with me. I regretted it because space isn't an issue in Doha. You can forget waking around the streets really. Pavements are not common. There are quite a few where I live but more often than not they are being dug up and the stares that you will draw just make it not worth it. So, if you can find a large compound that is good for walking around it is that and the shopping malls really. I guess there's also the corniche, zoo or aspire park too. Does your wife drive? She will really need to. Taxi's are very unreliable. If she can't (or doesn't want to drive), I would consider employing a driver even for a few days a week to keep her sanity. There isn't a twins club here but as the previous poster said, you could always start one?

Will you be provided with accomodation or given an allowance? There really is a huge variety of prices and standards but I wouldn't want to have less than 15000 per month for rent. Some of the better compounds (with kids pools, playgrounds etc) are closer to 23000 per month too.

Good luck with your move. Am happy to help with any other questions you or your wife may have.
Old May 30th 2009, 7:14 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, misunderstood the 'twins' reference....

As you were..
Old May 30th 2009, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for these prompt replies.
I am visiting Doha this week (and my wife the week after) for a familiarisation visit and I will need to renegotiate the accommodation allowance based on this as this is the single most important factor for us.

Would anyone be able to suggest decent compounds in the 23,000 per month bracket that I could look at (Close to airport) and also how you get to view them? I am on a whirlwind visit this week and only have one day (Tuesday) where I can do this - so info is vitally urgent. My wife will have two days the following week.

Good information re:driving - I think my wife will relish the driving challenge and yes I will also have to factor a second car in the deal. don't want to rely on taxis due to having no baby car seats.
How much would a driver cost - sounds expensive.

'Twinmum' my wife would love to ask you more questions too to compare the war stories of moving home with such young children. She is at a spa for the weekend and I have the twins what joy! but she may post later this week when I'm away.
Old May 30th 2009, 9:09 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

*at a spa for the weekend* with(out) 10 month old twins?! I have to have words with Mr Kitty - I haven't had that opportunity since, well... waaaay too long! Way before my 20 month old was born, certainly.

Old May 31st 2009, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

twinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant future

The first one that springs to mind would be Al Fardan Gardens. It's in spitting distance of the airport and is a large compound with nice houses and a lovely kids pool. (Remember though that there are numbers 1,2 and 3. 2 being a long way out of town and 3 being a much smaller compound. They all have good facilities though.) Hmmm, the majority of compounds tend to be in the Al Waab area which isn't exactly close to the airport but nothing in Doha is too far away. There are some nice compounds around there though so may be worth looking at. I'd be thinking Green Village or Beverley Hills. There are probably lots more good ones but it's been a while since we were villa hunting. Let me see if my DH knows who you need to speak to...
Old May 31st 2009, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by twinmum
The first one that springs to mind would be Al Fardan Gardens. It's in spitting distance of the airport and is a large compound with nice houses and a lovely kids pool. (Remember though that there are numbers 1,2 and 3. 2 being a long way out of town and 3 being a much smaller compound. They all have good facilities though.) Hmmm, the majority of compounds tend to be in the Al Waab area which isn't exactly close to the airport but nothing in Doha is too far away. There are some nice compounds around there though so may be worth looking at. I'd be thinking Green Village or Beverley Hills. There are probably lots more good ones but it's been a while since we were villa hunting. Let me see if my DH knows who you need to speak to...
Thanks twinmum that will be great..
Old May 31st 2009, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Have sent you a pm.