Housing fee

Old Jul 4th 2007, 8:20 am
Just Joined

Chris Taylor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Housing fee

Hi All,

I am still relatively new to Dubai (came over on February 2007).

I was wondering if anybody could help with a query I have.

I currently rent an apartment where the annual rent is 135,000 AED.

If a housing fee is calculated to be 5% of your annual rent spread over 12 months, I would calculate this fee to be 562.5 AED per month ((135,000*0.05)/12months).

However I received my DEWA bill which included a housing fee of 495 AED (less than my calculation).

Taking this current housing fee of 495 AED would assume my annual rent should be 118,800 AED ((495*12)/0.05).

This would seem good as I am paying less housing fee as expected. However the suspicious side of me is wondering if I have been diddled on my rent. All my dealings were done with the agent, signing documents etc. Not one document had been counter signed by the landlord, however he has been named on the document.

Can any of you guys shed some light on this? Is this how the housing fee is calculated? Would It be wrong for me to assume that both myself and the landlord are been cheated out on moneys by the agent.

Any feedback would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 4th 2007, 8:26 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing fee

I really have no idea, I would have to ask my husband. 135 for an apartment, must be a nice one. And welcome!!
Old Jul 4th 2007, 8:34 am
Just Joined

Thanks Blue Cat.

It is a nice apartment, however still over priced.

That was the going rate at the time on Dubizzle web site.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 8:55 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris Taylor
Thanks Blue Cat.

It is a nice apartment, however still over priced.

That was the going rate at the time on Dubizzle web site.
where are you?
Old Jul 4th 2007, 9:05 am
Just Joined

I live in the Greens/Views, looking onto the construction that blocks out the view of Emirates Golf course.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 9:07 am
W10

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I really have no idea, I would have to ask my husband. 135 for an apartment, must be a nice one. And welcome!!
Nope - thats the going rate.

I heard that new tenants in my building are being charged around Dh40,000 more than me.

Old Jul 4th 2007, 9:11 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by W10
Nope - thats the going rate.

I heard that new tenants in my building are being charged around Dh40,000 more than me.
same with me, 35 more for new tennants and we only been here 10 months!
Old Jul 4th 2007, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
same with me, 35 more for new tennants and we only been here 10 months!
prices will probably drop now Salik has turned the area into a traffic jam
Old Jul 4th 2007, 9:32 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
prices will probably drop now Salik has turned the area into a traffic jam
they called the greens Dubai Traffic City this morning on the Radio! hilarious!
Old Jul 4th 2007, 10:43 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

I am still relatively new to Dubai (came over on February 2007).

I was wondering if anybody could help with a query I have.

I currently rent an apartment where the annual rent is 135,000 AED.

If a housing fee is calculated to be 5% of your annual rent spread over 12 months, I would calculate this fee to be 562.5 AED per month ((135,000*0.05)/12months).

However I received my DEWA bill which included a housing fee of 495 AED (less than my calculation).

Taking this current housing fee of 495 AED would assume my annual rent should be 118,800 AED ((495*12)/0.05).

This would seem good as I am paying less housing fee as expected. However the suspicious side of me is wondering if I have been diddled on my rent. All my dealings were done with the agent, signing documents etc. Not one document had been counter signed by the landlord, however he has been named on the document.

Can any of you guys shed some light on this? Is this how the housing fee is calculated? Would It be wrong for me to assume that both myself and the landlord are been cheated out on moneys by the agent.

Any feedback would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Sounds a bit odd - it would not be like DEWA to make a mistake. Do you have any contact details for the landlord at all?
Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:40 am
Just Joined

Only his printed name on the Tenancy Contract and the letter of intent
Old Jul 4th 2007, 12:09 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Probably does not help much.

Can I ask what the letter of intent says. My landlord is looking for me to sign one, so just wondering about the wording. Thanks.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 12:10 pm
Pog mo thoin

Just thought - maybe call DEWA and they can tell you how much the property is registered at with them.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
Just thought - maybe call DEWA and they can tell you how much the property is registered at with them.
The letter of intent contains the following

Property
Lease period
Yearly Rent
Made payable to (the agency in this case)
Terms of payment (1 cheque)
Security deposit (refundable)
DEWA (covered by tenant)
Landlord details (Printed name)
Tenant name
Documents required
Payment details

I could contact DEWA but if the problem is on their behalf they will probably require the difference on what has already been paid. I know it will not be much but it is a saving of approximately 120 pounds a year. However it may be worthwhile taking the risk if it identifies an agent of possible fraud.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 12:26 pm
Pog mo thoin

The letter of intent contains the following

Property
Lease period
Yearly Rent
Made payable to (the agency in this case)
Terms of payment (1 cheque)
Security deposit (refundable)
DEWA (covered by tenant)
Landlord details (Printed name)
Tenant name
Documents required
Payment details

I could contact DEWA but if the problem is on their behalf they will probably require the difference on what has already been paid. I know it will not be much but it is a saving of approximately 120 pounds a year. However it may be worthwhile taking the risk if it identifies an agent of possible fraud.
Thanks for that.

I think I would take the risk as there are lots of dodgy agents out there. If Dewa have the rent at a lower figure you have no need to do anything with them. You could just call them and ask how they worked out the tax (play dumb and act like you don't know that it is 5% of the annual rent).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.