British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Housing etc.- tax again (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/housing-etc-tax-again-527063/)

BlackCloud Apr 5th 2008 4:12 pm

Housing etc.- tax again

I know there are lots of questions re tax but I haven't seen these.

OK presently working for a local UAE employer paid in dhirams in a local bank. There could be a time when I see a job back in UK and go for it. It's unlikely to be convenient enough to fall at the beginning of a new tax year. Presumably that would mean I move back and become liable for tax on my work in the UAE in that tax year prior to commencing UK work.

1) I don't get payslips, only a credit to my bank. Does this mean you have to provide bank statements or something?

2) How is the housing allowance considered? This is paid direct to the landlord, I don't see it at all.

Old Lob Apr 5th 2008 4:55 pm

Re: Housing etc.- tax again

You might not have to pay tax on your 'last year' provided that you meet the non-residence requirements.

Your housing allowance is a benefit - in the UK it would be a taxable benefit. If you were to be taxed on your earnings you would pay tax on salary, housing, car or allowance, medical, flights back and coffee in the office if you did not contribute to it. The tax rate would be the marginal tax rate applicable to you.

In terms of proving your income - the onus is on you. You should get a payslip; everyone in the world gets one except, seemingly, you. The way to approach it is to tell the truth if HMRC asks you your income and to remember that they are not idiots. But as I say you may be eligible for non-resident tax status. Or alternatively - and which is likely, they change the rules and tax you anyway, on everything.

BlackCloud Apr 5th 2008 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Old Lob (Post 6163850)
You might not have to pay tax on your 'last year' provided that you meet the non-residence requirements.

In terms of proving your income - the onus is on you. You should get a payslip; everyone in the world gets one except, seemingly, you. .

Thanks for your advice. However can I just say that there are a number of us here working for a UAE Govt. dept that do not get payslips. Simply a proper contract and the money appears in the bank every month. Nothing underhand, I'm not a mercenary or anything, simply that is how it is. The only way I could see to prove this would be to show the credits to the bank.

Sam FTQ Apr 6th 2008 6:24 am

Originally Posted by BlackCloud (Post 6164332)
Thanks for your advice. However can I just say that there are a number of us here working for a UAE Govt. dept that do not get payslips. Simply a proper contract and the money appears in the bank every month. Nothing underhand, I'm not a mercenary or anything, simply that is how it is. The only way I could see to prove this would be to show the credits to the bank.

Funny you should mention it, I don't get payslips either. I just get an email notification that I have been paid, then the money appears in my account the following day. If I need proof of my income for any reason, then I just get a letter from work.

admon Apr 7th 2008 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Old Lob (Post 6163850)

Your housing allowance is a benefit - in the UK it would be a taxable benefit. If you were to be taxed on your earnings you would pay tax on salary, housing, car or allowance, medical, flights back and coffee in the office if you did not contribute to it. The tax rate would be the marginal tax rate applicable to you.

In terms of proving your income - the onus is on you. You should get a payslip; everyone in the world gets one except, seemingly, you. The way to approach it is to tell the truth if HMRC asks you your income and to remember that they are not idiots. But as I say you may be eligible for non-resident tax status. Or alternatively - and which is likely, they change the rules and tax you anyway, on everything.

Don't worry about old lob. He/she seems to consider that anyone mereley asking questions to do with anything outside his/her experience is 'up to something' or 'in the wrong'. I am a witness to this in a previous thread.

Since changing jobs last August, to probably one of Dubai's more prestigeous private employers, my wife hasn't even witnessed the faintest whisper of a pay slip.

Old Lob Apr 7th 2008 11:56 am

Good response but not antagonistic enough for me to bother about. I actually do believe you should get a payslip but as Sam says a contract will do as well as remittances from the bank statement. The payslip is stronger evidence to revenue of the veracity of your earnings and remember - behind all of this is preventing the revenue 'deeming' a salary and then taxing it if it is indeed taxable.

The payslip does also provide evidence to the legal system in Dubai which can be used to prove the extent of labour indemnity. When you start to pay tax you will certainly need one.

I have only heard of two - including your wifes, employers who don't give payslips in the ME. What it does show is that they are not using a payroll programme to calculate pay which may mean that they are trying to avoid recording termination benefits -the indemnity - or they are using a payroll but not issuing the payslip. Bit questionable.

That is the end of my thesis on payslips so you can now continue looking in my other posts to find yet more evidence of me undermining society. And how do you know it is outside of my experience - I sound pretty plausible don't I?

Border Reiver Apr 7th 2008 1:59 pm

There are lots of companies in Dubai that don't issue payslips- usually the smaller ones but surprisingly also some of the really big ones.