Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Housing costs - AUH

Housing costs - AUH

Old Apr 30th 2008, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

BlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the rough
Default Housing costs - AUH

Appreciate this is a topic of discussion quite often...but I am still suprised to hear new people coming to my building in central Abu Dhabi are now paying 160k for a 2 bed, 200k for a 3 bed. That's around 80% rise in 18 months or around 3x in 2 years.

My employer has not reviewed the amount for around a year and allowances are way below these figures. The western people employed are all in key positions and considered 'professional experts'. Employer likely to review but even the new figure being talked about is already left behind. Salaries are ok but they are well out of touch with rents...

What are people seeing with colleagues coming out to join them in their companies? Many people I know want to live in the city, not miles out, no bars etc. What sort of rent allowances are companies paying to mid-professionals?

What's worse for me I am likely to be going home for a bit. maybe coming back after a few months or a year. These increases are scary. Weird though that if you are prepared to rough it a bit like many filipinas etc. you actually end up living right in the city!
Old Apr 30th 2008, 1:12 pm
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Housing costs - AUH

Originally Posted by BlackCloud
What sort of rent allowances are companies paying to mid-professionals?
Roughly around 180-240 AED.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 1:32 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam FTQ
Roughly around 180-240 AED.
Think that's a bit on the high side............
Old Apr 30th 2008, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

They are providing me with a 3 bed apartment in a compound with garden and pool so don't really know what the allowance would have been.

I know the apartment was about 250,000AED a year.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 1:37 pm
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eva
Think that's a bit on the high side............
Maybe. What is a 'mid-professional' anyway?
Old Apr 30th 2008, 1:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by benzonar
They are providing me with a 3 bed apartment in a compound with garden and pool so don't really know what the allowance would have been.

I know the apartment was about 250,000AED a year.
So, would you describe yourself as a 'mid-professional'?
Old Apr 30th 2008, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

So, would you describe yourself as a 'mid-professional'?
Not really, but then I don't know what one is either.

Maybe it is someone who is not quite at Director level, but not really a Manager.

Sort of Associate Director/Senior Management.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 3:13 pm
Banned

Not really, but then I don't know what one is either.

Maybe it is someone who is not quite at Director level, but not really a Manager.

Sort of Associate Director/Senior Management.
Yeah, I think you're right.

You married yet?
Old Apr 30th 2008, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

In July, all things being well.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 3:56 pm
Banned

In July, all things being well.
Mabrook! I think your wife will love it here...
Old Apr 30th 2008, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well the lack of rain will mean her Birkin can be used a lot more than it can here, so I'm guessing you could be right.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 4:17 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe. What is a 'mid-professional' anyway?
No idea either what a mid professional is .......

Sam and Benzonar-you two have the best deals I have heard of so all credit to ya for brokering them.

I know of someone recently arrived to head up a new 'business school' within ADU-he's top of his game -his allowance didn't hit the 200,000.Another guy,big mover in M. O. I-they trying to shove him into an apartment in Mussafah;another guy Managing Director of major business in AD-220,000

So its all a bit of a lottery.I really do think 200,000 is the entry level for reasonable accomodation in AD just now.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

BlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the roughBlackCloud is a jewel in the rough

Sorry, I made the post starting this thread. Was in a hurry so didn't explain too well. However, pretty much answered what I was after.

The employer I was thinking about, a major public employer, is looking at moving to 150,000 and thinks this is generous. Really they just need to bite the bullet and pay people what the going rate is. How will they attract people out here if they can't get a place...

Interesting the comment re MOI and Mussafah. The last thing I would want on my own is being posted miles out away from bars etc. I wouldn't come out here to that. Mussafah, or what I have seen of it is a crazy wild west place 99% men...

I seem to recall a comment recently of a 4 bedroom place over looking the Corniche at 140,000 dh? Was that a new tenancy or taking over an existing company rental on a place? Seems almost impossible in AD the last 2 years at that price?
Old Apr 30th 2008, 6:28 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=BlackCloud;6289049]
The employer I was thinking about, a major public employer, is looking at moving to 150,000 and thinks this is generous. Interesting the comment re MOI and Mussafah.

MOI- Are you employed by M.Interior? If not too direct.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 8:11 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

costs in Dubai are gone stupid as well. I heard of a recent case whereby a landlord wanted to increase the rent from 165k to 300k. talk about being greedy. he is clearly nuts and thinks he can get it as he has already lodged an appeal to have the tenant evicted at the end of the current tenancy