Reload this Page >

A housing allowance question

A housing allowance question

Old May 24th 2011, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

clodytz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A housing allowance question

Originally Posted by Bigtaff
Anyone know the rules on 2 people that are married receiving housing allowance in their individual packages? Is it allowed or can only one person in the marriage receive it? Also, if applicable, is the answer you give a UAE ruling or any other Emirate (i.e might it vary across the different Emirates)?
No problem, as long as at least 1 of you works for a private company. If both work for government companies, you might need to declare it.
Old May 25th 2011, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

John7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone know the rules on 2 people that are married receiving housing allowance in their individual packages? Is it allowed or can only one person in the marriage receive it? Also, if applicable, is the answer you give a UAE ruling or any other Emirate (i.e might it vary across the different Emirates)?
Both can have it, no doubt.

The only exception that if you both working in a government department, in that case you may still have your housing allowance, or it will be deducted from your salaries but in this case the government department will be issuing you a resident ( flat or a villa) based on grade
Old May 25th 2011, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of

We both work for non-Governmental companies. I'd really like to see this in a document of some kind. I've read the Labour Law and although it mentions everyone should get housing in one way or another it doesn't highlight when you are NOT entitled - like the Government side of things you're mentioning. It's a very important factor to my mind.
Old May 25th 2011, 6:59 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

We both work for non-Governmental companies. I'd really like to see this in a document of some kind. I've read the Labour Law and although it mentions everyone should get housing in one way or another it doesn't highlight when you are NOT entitled - like the Government side of things you're mentioning. It's a very important factor to my mind.

Labout law does not say that anyone is entitled to a housing allowance and you will not find the answer that you want written in any legal form. It all comes down to how your contracts are worded and your employers. This is a contract issue, not a labour law issue (which is exactly what I said earlier).
Old May 25th 2011, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Meow
Labout law does not say that anyone is entitled to a housing allowance and you will not find the answer that you want written in any legal form. It all comes down to how your contracts are worded and your employers. This is a contract issue, not a labour law issue (which is exactly what I said earlier).
I was relating more to this text, I didn't explain myself properly - apologies.
Attached Thumbnails A housing allowance question-salary.bmp  
Old May 25th 2011, 7:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Taffy could you not speak to one of your colleagues about this? surely one of them must be in the same situation.
Old May 25th 2011, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Taffy could you not speak to one of your colleagues about this? surely one of them must be in the same situation.
I have Chick and they all concur with Ms. Meow as I expected. What I want is hard evidence to push up someones nose when they try to cause trouble for my wife - which they will.
Old May 25th 2011, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Take them out to the desert and bury them up to their necks and cover their heads with honey
Old May 25th 2011, 7:25 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Take them out to the desert and bury them up to their necks and cover their heads with honey
Ooooh! I like evil kittycat!
Old May 25th 2011, 7:26 am
Bored liberal

I was relating more to this text, I didn't explain myself properly - apologies.
That's just a definition of 'wage'.

Good luck with getting it sorted. Sounds as if your wife works with some really rather unpleasant people.
Old May 25th 2011, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Meow
That's just a definition of 'wage'.

Good luck with getting it sorted. Sounds as if your wife works with some really rather unpleasant people.
What's your take on the Governmental side of things, Meow? Can a married couple who are Governmental workers both receive housing or not?
Old May 25th 2011, 7:43 am
Bored liberal

What's your take on the Governmental side of things, Meow? Can a married couple who are Governmental workers both receive housing or not?
It should depend on the wording of the contracts, but many government organisations here are not fully subject to UAE labour law, so seem to make up their own rules (which are rarely for the benefit of the employees). Even if you have acted in accordance with the employment contract, I'd want further clarification if working for government as you wouldn't get anywhere making a complaint against them if they acted against you. (It's wrong and unfair, but we can't fight everything.)
Old May 25th 2011, 8:50 am
Account Closed

Tillybean is an unknown quantity at this point

The first company I worked for here (private) would only give one lot of housing/flights/medical per married couple.

The company I work for now (semi-government) allows both you and your partner to claim if you work for different companies - and they give me my married allowance, ie, one flight a year for both me and my husband, medical etc even if he has the same under his own contract with his own company.

Each company works differently.
Old May 25th 2011, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

DustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really nice

My wife works for NBAD and has it written in her contract that if her spouse comes to work in UAE (which I have) then she must give up her housing allowance. She thinks it's a throwback to when NBAD was the government-owned Central Bank, but they dont enforce it by asking for proof of anything.

DB
Old May 25th 2011, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

we have a clause saying we will review any allowances / benefits if the spouse takes up a job

never invoked it, not really any of our business unless someone is being a twat and then I would

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.