Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

A housing allowance question

A housing allowance question

Old May 13th 2011, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of
Default A housing allowance question

Anyone know the rules on 2 people that are married receiving housing allowance in their individual packages? Is it allowed or can only one person in the marriage receive it? Also, if applicable, is the answer you give a UAE ruling or any other Emirate (i.e might it vary across the different Emirates)?
Old May 14th 2011, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A housing allowance question

Two people working for the same employer?
Old May 14th 2011, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of

No, in different trades (not that it matters) for different employers. Also, just FYI and maybe not important but, one with a Dubai visa and one with a RAK visa - just to cover all bases
Old May 14th 2011, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

My understanding is that your housing allowance is just part of your salary- if you don't spend it all you don't have to pay it back to the company, so I would say no problem at all.
Old May 14th 2011, 2:35 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
My understanding is that your housing allowance is just part of your salary- if you don't spend it all you don't have to pay it back to the company, so I would say no problem at all.
it depends, some companies just give you a lump sum and send you on your way, others will give you an allowance but unless you can prove it is being spent on accomodation it has to be returned. Then there are the likes of us who get a villa included, so if I worked and attained any housing I would just pocket it. There are no set rules it is up to the employer
Old May 14th 2011, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
it depends, some companies just give you a lump sum and send you on your way, others will give you an allowance but unless you can prove it is being spent on accomodation it has to be returned. Then there are the likes of us who get a villa included, so if I worked and attained any housing I would just pocket it. There are no set rules it is up to the employer
Is that a 100% there are no set rules or a as far as you know there isn't? I can't find any information from an official source so just hoping you can kind of substantiate it somehow. More because I want to make sure I don't get in trouble rather than I doubt what you're saying
Old May 15th 2011, 4:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bigtaff
Is that a 100% there are no set rules or a as far as you know there isn't? I can't find any information from an official source so just hoping you can kind of substantiate it somehow. More because I want to make sure I don't get in trouble rather than I doubt what you're saying
Bluecat is 100% spot on. Depends on the employer.

Some will say, here is a budget, go and find your place and we'll pay it directly, if it's less you don't get to keep the difference.

Personally, it's just part of my package, x,000 per month for living allowances - so it's down to me to pay as much or as little as I want.

Very much depends on the firm. At the moment it's easier and slightly cheaper to bundle it all into one big figure and send you on your way.

Legally out here - I don't think there are any problems with two housing allowances under one roof unless most people are living illegally!!
Old May 15th 2011, 4:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scamp
Legally out here - I don't think there are any problems with two housing allowances under one roof unless most people are living illegally!!
Legally is what I'm after. We are married so no problem with being under same roof and I realise companies have different policies on housing allowances. I need to know what the law is so we aren't breaking it by accepting 2 housing incomes. As with most things here in the UAE, there never seems to be a clear answer until it's too late!!!
Old May 15th 2011, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

There are no set rules, it is down to the company. If they include a housing allowance as part of your package that is fine. If they supply or pay for your housing themselves then they will pay direct.
There is no need to tell them that both partners get an allowance..nothing to do with them.
Old May 15th 2011, 4:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Legally is what I'm after. We are married so no problem with being under same roof and I realise companies have different policies on housing allowances. I need to know what the law is so we aren't breaking it by accepting 2 housing incomes. As with most things here in the UAE, there never seems to be a clear answer until it's too late!!!
In that case, I wouldn't worry.

There won't be anything in the law to state you can't take two housing allowances.
Old May 15th 2011, 5:23 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

I get my house provided by the company. If my missus (heaven help) got a job, we would push for a housing allowance rather than have the company provide accommodation for obvious reasons.

If her company insisted on a copy of the lease (as my previous company did) then we would have an issue.

If her company simply gave her an allowance (with no requirement to provide proof of expenditure (i,e a tenancy contract) then we would simply pocket it.

Just make sure you do what is correct as per your respective companies.
Old May 15th 2011, 6:47 am
Down and out

ctfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond reputectfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmnn.. I've seen a similar situation a few times and whilst there is no specific law most Emirati owners at least take the view that you should only receive one allowance.

My firm will give housing allowance to married women but will cut other allowances if their husband is working - which is pretty outrageous to westerners but that's the way it is.

I would not raise the question, take the money and if you're of a nervous disposition keep it in a bank account until you move somewhere else.
Old May 15th 2011, 12:38 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

if you are given a housing allowance, to spend as you wish, then it is fine, if you have to produce a tenancy agreement that is a different issue. I have friends in this position only the other way round to yours. He has a company villa supplied with his job, she is given 60k a year housing which they use for holidays etc. Her Company have no objection to this as it is in her contract.
Old May 15th 2011, 12:45 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

There is no legal reason to prevent this, but it is down to the employer and how they word a contract.
Old May 15th 2011, 12:48 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
In that case, I wouldn't worry.

There won't be anything in the law to state you can't take two housing allowances.
Correct. There isn't.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.