British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Housing Allowance Dubai question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/housing-allowance-dubai-question-865520/)

MAM08 Sep 21st 2015 5:58 pm

Housing Allowance Dubai question

Hi

I have just been offered a position in Dubai for a certain salary but in the contract this is broken down into base salary and allowances. I was wondering if I *have* to use the allowance or if it will be paid in a lumpsum each month? I don't want to spend the amount they have allocated for transport and housing; I would rather save the money. Any help!

Dumbo Sep 22nd 2015 3:10 am

Re: Housing Allowance Dubai question

It is an 'allowance' paid monthly, so you can spend less, or more to suit yourself.

It would be unusual for a company to control what you spend on accommodation unless the accommodation is provided.

So save away. Good luck with the new position.

NorthernLad Sep 22nd 2015 5:04 am

Originally Posted by MAM08 (Post 11754375)
Hi

I have just been offered a position in Dubai for a certain salary but in the contract this is broken down into base salary and allowances. I was wondering if I *have* to use the allowance or if it will be paid in a lumpsum each month? I don't want to spend the amount they have allocated for transport and housing; I would rather save the money. Any help!

It varies - I know of some companies who pay the rent directly to landlord/estate agent (so use it or lose it), some pay monthly in your salary and some pay a one-off lump sum each year.

Inselaffen Sep 22nd 2015 6:20 am

in general the housing allowance, transport allowance etc are just ways of reducing your end of service benefits. Those then only get calculated on your base salary.

mentalist Sep 22nd 2015 6:32 am

Be mindful that apartment/house rents in Dubai are among the most expensive in the world, so I wouldn't expect to save much, if anything.

mission Sep 23rd 2015 5:47 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 11754656)
It varies - I know of some companies who pay the rent directly to landlord/estate agent (so use it or lose it), some pay monthly in your salary and some pay a one-off lump sum each year.

yep...true.

you need to establish with the company in what form the allowance is applied.

mission Sep 23rd 2015 5:48 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 11754682)
Be mindful that apartment/house rents in Dubai are among the most expensive in the world, so I wouldn't expect to save much, if anything.

actually rent is coming down.....slightly