Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

House sharing and car pooling

House sharing and car pooling

Old May 20th 2008, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Cry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to all
Default House sharing and car pooling

I am sitting in my 'living in sin' house in Rashidiya, waiting for an inspector to call. Whatsmore, I gave a mate a lift home from work and am having a G&T to calm my nerves. I've lost count of how many laws I am breaking right now.
Old May 20th 2008, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House sharing and car pooling

do you have a maid? thats another one
Old May 20th 2008, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cry haddock
I am sitting in my 'living in sin' house in Rashidiya, waiting for an inspector to call. Whatsmore, I gave a mate a lift home from work and am having a G&T to calm my nerves. I've lost count of how many laws I am breaking right now.
lol

just saw that on the news, i didn't know it was illegal to give colleagues a lift home, they'll all have to f*****g walk tomorrow
Old May 20th 2008, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

you forgot giving someone the "finger"

um what else?
Old May 20th 2008, 5:56 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Was your car clean enough to be on the road?
Old May 20th 2008, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Eva
Was your car clean enough to be on the road?
lol i keep on warning my OH re that one, he doesn't believe me
Old May 21st 2008, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

arbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond reputearbroath_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

there was a Echo doing 40KPH in the fast lane yesterday so i undertook him, and waived my flip flop at the driver...

lock me up...
Old May 21st 2008, 6:31 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

I wasnt aware that you couldnt give lifts to work mates?
People do it all the time!!! Surely thats not the law???
Who are you allowed to let in your car then???
Old May 21st 2008, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Cry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to allCry haddock is a name known to all

Originally Posted by twinkle-star
You can let anyone in, but you have to register your vehicle with the RTA first, then register the name of the people you want to take with you, wait for the Police to do background checks, wait for the RTA to send you your certificate and then away you go.
I understand they mean well - I certainly don't like the guys that stop and try and convince you get in their cars (remember what your mum taught you), but as ill-thought-out and entirely unenforcable laws go, this takes the biscuit.
The 103.8 nightline show was full of people laughing outloud at the stupidity of all this last night, until some RTA bloke rang in a said that obviously it would not work out like that. But rules is rules and it does annoy me how they make laws so draconian and then decide in each case how sternly to enforce them - effectively making individual coppers prosecution and judge.
Old May 21st 2008, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Live for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by twinkle-star
http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Traff.../10214453.html

At last they see sense
Old May 21st 2008, 7:03 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cry haddock
You can let anyone in, but you have to register your vehicle with the RTA first, then register the name of the people you want to take with you, wait for the Police to do background checks, wait for the RTA to send you your certificate and then away you go.
I understand they mean well - I certainly don't like the guys that stop and try and convince you get in their cars (remember what your mum taught you), but as ill-thought-out and entirely unenforcable laws go, this takes the biscuit.
The 103.8 nightline show was full of people laughing outloud at the stupidity of all this last night, until some RTA bloke rang in a said that obviously it would not work out like that. But rules is rules and it does annoy me how they make laws so draconian and then decide in each case how sternly to enforce them - effectively making individual coppers prosecution and judge.
I never knew of this, but it doesn't surprise me at all. Pure madness.
Old May 21st 2008, 7:15 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I never knew of this, but it doesn't surprise me at all. Pure madness.
There are plenty of little known rules and regulations to worry about over here. No cycling in public parks is one crazy one. The maid hiring business is another. Tinted glass on windows too...must not block more than 30% sunlight in...using mobile phones while driving...cigarette smoking in public...peeing at the side of the road...kissing your wife and kids in public...playing football on the beach...fishing without a licence...its endless.
Old May 21st 2008, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Border Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond reputeBorder Reiver has a reputation beyond repute

The car sharing rule is designed to eliminate unlicensed taxis. The "real" ones are bad enough, can you imagine the carnage if we had a load of unlicensed and unregulated ones running about? I really don't think the RTA would be that interested if you give your mates a lift home from work a couple of nights a week.
Old May 21st 2008, 7:23 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
There are plenty of little known rules and regulations to worry about over here. No cycling in public parks is one crazy one. The maid hiring business is another. Tinted glass on windows too...must not block more than 30% sunlight in...using mobile phones while driving...cigarette smoking in public...peeing at the side of the road...kissing your wife and kids in public...playing football on the beach...fishing without a licence...its endless.
it seems that way, I don't think I've ever seen anyoner NOT use their phone whilst driving, thats what they should crack down on, the amount ofcrashes on the road would get better I'm sure.
Old May 21st 2008, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

well I hope the news abt villa shares is a load of bollox. really can't be bothered with moving. not quite yet anyway

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.