British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   House Maid for a single Parent? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/house-maid-single-parent-810980/)

Dens911 Oct 2nd 2013 1:45 pm

House Maid for a single Parent?

Hoping to move to Abu Dhabi next year with my current employer. I am a single father with 2 school aged children who will be moving over with me. Is it possible to get a live in maid/nanny (Female) as a single father?
Are there alternatives like before/after school clubs etc?
Thanks for any help.

Patsy Stoned Oct 2nd 2013 2:00 pm

Re: House Maid for a single Parent?

Originally Posted by Dens911 (Post 10927356)
Hoping to move to Abu Dhabi next year with my current employer. I am a single father with 2 school aged children who will be moving over with me. Is it possible to get a live in maid/nanny (Female) as a single father?
Are there alternatives like before/after school clubs etc?
Thanks for any help.

As a single man you will not be able to hire a female housemaid, but you will be able to get a male helper. Other than that you could get an agency maid to do a few hours a day until you get home and once you build up a circle of friends you can arrange play dates etc.

Dens911 Oct 2nd 2013 2:08 pm

Thanks for that. I have 2 girls so wont be getting a male live in helper. The part time agency worker sounds like a good solution.
Are there no exceptions to the rule, I think I read on the uae embassy website there were exceptions to the rules. What about if my current auoair moved with us, would that make a difference, she is from Czech republic which I know is not on the approved countries list for maids etc.

Millhouse Oct 2nd 2013 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Dens911 (Post 10927392)
Thanks for that. I have 2 girls so wont be getting a male live in helper. The part time agency worker sounds like a good solution.
Are there no exceptions to the rule, I think I read on the uae embassy website there were exceptions to the rules. What about if my current auoair moved with us, would that make a difference, she is from Czech republic which I know is not on the approved countries list for maids etc.

watertight pre-nup and marry the maid.

Dens911 Oct 2nd 2013 2:16 pm

Thanks but thats not going to happen lol about a 30 year age gap. Happy enough with a part time agency helper if its a reliable arrangement. Thanks for the replies

OriginalSunshine Oct 2nd 2013 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10927399)
watertight pre-nup and marry the maid.

agreed - it's just a contract - no nookie required, in contract.

Dens911 Oct 2nd 2013 4:43 pm

I see what you're saying, might be worth a chat with her but can't see it happening. But thanks for the suggestion.

Millhouse Oct 2nd 2013 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Dens911 (Post 10927690)
I see what you're saying, might be worth a chat with her but can't see it happening. But thanks for the suggestion.

In seriousness, it's very difficult (read impossible) to sponsor the maid without being married to someone (or her). Also be warned about using agency maids (no consistency) or borrowing the neighbours (big fines as it's illegal).

good luck.

Dens911 Oct 2nd 2013 5:38 pm

Thanks for all the advice.

Arcadia Oct 2nd 2013 7:49 pm

Hi There.

Do you know which school your children will be going to?

Will you be available to pick them up from school?

Strange questions I know, but I knew a guy In AD who was a single Dad and he just employed a lady to meet his kids off the school bus, cook the evening meal, make sure homework was completed, bathed them and set out the uniforms for next day etc, then left when he came home.

Also babysat weekends so he could have some time out.

I could help you in that respect if all else fails, (not me personally) lol, just know a few Fillapina ladies.who were teaching assistants at the school I taught at,they are on Husbands visas so dont need sponsorship.

So if all else fails pm me and I could arrange something.

Dens911 Oct 2nd 2013 8:41 pm

Arcadia, That sounds like a perfect solution, thanks. Not sure which school yet as still waiting on confirmation of job offer. I hope they will get a place at either bsak or yasmina, is that spelt right lol. Yasmins is closer to where I would work though the kids like the look of living on Saadiyat island.
Have you any idea how much that kind of help would cost, as compared to a live in maid, which is what I had worked my cost out against.

Arcadia Oct 2nd 2013 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Dens911 (Post 10928116)
Arcadia, That sounds like a perfect solution, thanks. Not sure which school yet as still waiting on confirmation of job offer. I hope they will get a place at either bsak or yasmina, is that spelt right lol. Yasmins is closer to where I would work though the kids like the look of living on Saadiyat island.
Have you any idea how much that kind of help would cost, as compared to a live in maid, which is what I had worked my cost out against.

It would probably depend on how many hours she was needed, for example, what time the children finished school and what time you finished work.

I would say probably 3pm until 6 or 7pm..salary plus travel (taxi fare).

I think their is a minimum wage for a "legal" sponsored live in, plus you would have to pay for medical, flight home, visa etc, but with a part time on her Husbands sponsorship you would have none of that, which would be a huge saving.

Im not sure what the annual cost for a live in fillapina maid would be, but maybe 500
Dhs plus 100Dhs travel allowance a week for a part time???

Just remember..it is illegal for both of you, I know the stupid rules dont exactly make it easy for you, if nosesys at work asked..all you would say is "I have a helper"..end of.

Dens911 Oct 2nd 2013 9:23 pm

That all sounds good to me. Once I know more about when and where etc I will pm you. Thanks again for the help.

Arcadia Oct 2nd 2013 9:32 pm

Or, couldn't the Au pair just come to Abu Dhabi on a visit visa and do visa runs, she could live with you and to all outside it would look like you were just a married couple, she can wear a £20 wedding ring from Argos.

Dont worry about a 30 year age gap between you, it's the norm to see a 50 year old man with a 20 year old wife..nobody will bat an eyelid:rofl:

Dens911 Oct 2nd 2013 11:01 pm

I'm sure lol