British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Hotel v furnished (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/hotel-v-furnished-829898/)

Moo123 Mar 29th 2014 2:49 am

Hotel v furnished

Hi

Well, I am in a bit of a pickle. I've been offered a job in AD, however, I'll be honest I'm not sure whether I can stay long term. I thought I'll try it for six months and see how it goes.

I'll be earning about 6200 uk pounds a month or 425 plus extra AED.

Here is my issue, I don't want to invest in buying furniture etc if I don't know if this is for me. Started to look at furnished properties.

To cut a long story short I am stuck between two options

1) is 25 min away from work - walking, so will need to get taxi everyday. Which I'm sure will accumulate
2) it is very basic, not very nice tbh, but would include bills etc atenna, water, electricity etc. it's through an agent so sure it's more than 60k when u include fees.
3)For one bedroom in the centre it's about 50k for 6 months

The other is:

Rotana Hotel Apartments (Hala arjann), includes furniture. Most cheapest we are talking about

1)69k (for five months) and 13k if I stay till 6 month extra (80k including service charges etc), includes water etc etc
2) 10 min walking distance from work

I should add that I DO NOT drive...

I'm not sure whether it is just a waste...or whether I'm being conned...:) seems all a bit overpriced, both options, for what they are....esp first.

Not sure whether it's cheaper to get unfurnished....further away (85-95k unfurnished for a year), pay water, electricity etc, and buy furniture...not sure whether this would work out any cheaper.

Any advice or suggestions of nice hotel apartments near Abu Dhabi mall would be appreciated....thank u in advance

flares Mar 29th 2014 4:09 am

Re: Hotel v furnished

Big fan of the Jannah apartments at Eastern Mangrove.

They are huge. Stayed in one on our last night in Abu D. A 2 bed was 470++ a night. That was just for one night. Seemed very low.

It's a 10 min taxi from Abu Dhabi Mall but feels a world away from TCA

busybee2 Mar 29th 2014 4:32 am

rent is expensive here in ad.... and furnished hotel apartments even more so.... thats just the costs.... its cheaper to buy some cheap furniture and go for a normal lease,but they will be for 1 year upfront... thats why the hotels are more because they are more flexible and include facilities etc.

Bahtatboy Mar 29th 2014 8:36 am

You may be better off renting if you can find an apartment you like where the landlord will allow a break clause in the lease agreement--in my experience break clauses aren't common in AD, but it may be worth trying.

Why do you think you won't last? As far as the middle east goes, UAE is just about the softest option possible, and IMHO AD is a pleasant place to live (provided you're willing to overlook certain aspects).

Fossildog Mar 29th 2014 8:45 am

Is a flat share not an option? There are a few on Reem Island for between 5-7k a month, which will include bills. New buildings with facilities about 5 minutes taxi to AD Mall. Would be a cheaper option and far easier to pack up and leave early if Abu Dhabi is not for you.

Have a look on Dubizzle.

busybee2 Mar 29th 2014 12:49 pm

ad rentals dont often have break clauses in them as a matter of course. and flat share are illegal.

Millhouse Mar 29th 2014 2:40 pm

what about the mutt?

Fossildog Mar 29th 2014 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 11195715)
ad rentals dont often have break clauses in them as a matter of course. and flat share are illegal.

Flat sharing is widespread and would be the best option for the OP. The reality is that people share flats and as long as the Landlord is getting paid and no trouble is caused then everyone is happy. The only type of flat sharing that is clamped down on seems to be multiple 'bachelors' sharing flats in areas where families live. Western expats sharing a flat does happen and frankly nobody is bothered.

kittycat1 Mar 29th 2014 3:17 pm

good point millhouse- I don't think any hotel apartment will let poochy stay. But there is a pet hotel here.

busybee2 Mar 29th 2014 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Fossildog (Post 11195824)
Flat sharing is widespread and would be the best option for the OP. The reality is that people share flats and as long as the Landlord is getting paid and no trouble is caused then everyone is happy. The only type of flat sharing that is clamped down on seems to be multiple 'bachelors' sharing flats in areas where families live. Western expats sharing a flat does happen and frankly nobody is bothered.

flat sharing is allowed if owners permission. in dxb its more of the norm, but slightly more difficult in ad.

busybee2 Mar 29th 2014 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by kittycat1 (Post 11195827)
good point millhouse- I don't think any hotel apartment will let poochy stay. But there is a pet hotel here.

pet hotel is in kca and would prob cost more than the rent.;)

shiraz1 Mar 29th 2014 7:01 pm

The lack of sentimentality towards cats and dogs and the consequential reduction in animal shit in urban areas is definitely one of the major areas where the Middle East is superior to the UK

OleJanx Mar 29th 2014 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by shiraz1 (Post 11195987)
The lack of sentimentality towards cats and dogs and the consequential reduction in animal shit in urban areas is definitely one of the major areas where the Middle East is superior to the UK

The lack of empathy towards humans is common in the Middle East. Not a trait to admire, really.