Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Hotel/Resort Recommendations?

Hotel/Resort Recommendations?

Old Apr 8th 2008, 7:29 am
Just Joined

DaNVeR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hotel/Resort Recommendations?

Looking for a hotel/hotel apartment/resort in Dubai with Family Suites for a three night visit. We have three teenage children, two girls who could share a room and one boy. Can anyone recommend a place that is nice and reasonably priced? Would prefer something that is fairly centrally located, easy to get to the beach and shopping. Thanks in advance.

Dan

Last edited by DaNVeR; Apr 8th 2008 at 7:58 am.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hotel/Resort Recommendations?

Originally Posted by DaNVeR
Looking for a hotel/hotel apartment/resort with Family Suites for a three night visit. We have three teenage children, two girls who could share a room and one boy. Can anyone recommend a place that is nice and reasonably priced? Would prefer something that is fairly centrally located, easy to get to the beach and shopping. Thanks in advance.

Dan
Dan,

In Abu Dhabi or Dubai?
Old Apr 8th 2008, 7:58 am
Just Joined

Sorry. In Dubai. I edited my original post so people wouldn't be confused.

Thanks
Old Apr 8th 2008, 8:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry. In Dubai. I edited my original post so people wouldn't be confused.

Thanks
No problemo bud. Sorry I can't help with Dubai - Abu Dhabi is my thing. There are loadsa of the Dubai'ians on here who will help you out.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 8:05 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

As suggested on previous similar threads, you may find the southtravels.com web-site useful as they do apartments also. Right now, they are quoting US$69 for a night at the Panorama Hotel, for example.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the linky. I'm perusing it as we speak.

Mainly I am trying to avoid taking my family to a dive. We plan to do things around town and the surrounding area, so the hotel doesn't need to be a big all inclusive resort style place. Just suitable and clean. We took an overnight visa run with the kids a couple months ago to Bahrain and found a reasonably priced, clean, serviced apartment, but the concierge desk left a lot to be desired. They were not helpful at all. They were supposed to send a taxi to pick us up at the airport, but forgot about it. We wanted water and stuff brought to the room and they didn't have that either. And then when we tried to ask about different stuff in the area later in the day they didn't know much about the area. And then we asked them to get us a taxi and they said we could just walk to the main road and flag one down.

I just don't want to go in completely blind again, and end up at a place like the last one.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:16 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Mainly I am trying to avoid taking my family to a dive. We plan to do things around town and the surrounding area, so the hotel doesn't need to be a big all inclusive resort style place. Just suitable and clean. We took an overnight visa run with the kids a couple months ago to Bahrain and found a reasonably priced, clean, serviced apartment, but the concierge desk left a lot to be desired. They were not helpful at all. They were supposed to send a taxi to pick us up at the airport, but forgot about it. We wanted water and stuff brought to the room and they didn't have that either. And then when we tried to ask about different stuff in the area later in the day they didn't know much about the area. And then we asked them to get us a taxi and they said we could just walk to the main road and flag one down.

I just don't want to go in completely blind again, and end up at a place like the last one.
I wasn't implying that you take your family to the Panorama, merely using the example to indicate their competitive rates. As for your concierge experience, you just take pot luck in this town. If you want to be sure and have plenty of dosh to spend, treat them to the Oasis Beach Towers apartment complex. Nice if you can afford it.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

jvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond reputejvr20 has a reputation beyond repute

For suitable and clean, some of the Bur Dubia hotels are in fact *not* also brothels... I've stayed at the Ambassador, for example - just a stone's throw from the hustle and bustle of the bus station, at the top of the beach road, and handy for electronic shopping on Bank St. Also a very short walk from the abra station, textile souq, over the creek (via abra) from the spice and gold souqs.

Not sure about suites, but two rooms next to each other is the same effect, no

Again not sure about airport pickup, but a taxi is easy enough.