Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Hoping to move to Dubai or surrounding areas and need to know a few things???

Hoping to move to Dubai or surrounding areas and need to know a few things???

Old Apr 1st 2014, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Mechy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hoping to move to Dubai or surrounding areas and need to know a few things???

Hi Everyone,

I know this may sound like a bit of a crazy situation but I am a qualified teacher and would love the opportunity to live and work in Dubai or the surrounding areas. I just have a few little questions that I need to ask before i start applying for jobs etc.
First I am not married to my partner, will this be a problem us living together?
Second I have a child to a previous relationship, will this be a problem there?
Lastly my partner has a criminal record and has been to prison, will he have problems getting in to the country?

Would be grateful for any help or advice!

Thank you!
Old Apr 1st 2014, 3:19 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hoping to move to Dubai or surrounding areas and need to know a few things???

Originally Posted by Mechy
First I am not married to my partner, will this be a problem us living together?
Second I have a child to a previous relationship, will this be a problem there?
Lastly my partner has a criminal record and has been to prison, will he have problems getting in to the country?
I don't know if this is a wind up but here goes:
1) This is a muslim country, you are not allowed to live together unless married. However many couples do.
2) Possibly in attesting the birth certificate.
3) If he is going to find gainful employment then he is unlikely to find a company willing to employ him.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 3:33 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hoping to move to Dubai or surrounding areas and need to know a few things???

(1) Officially, yes. Unofficially, as long as he can get his own visa, don't tell anyone and refer to each other as husband & wife and you will be fine.
(2) No. Make sure the father has written an official document saying that he is fine with you taking your child out of the UK.
(3) That depends on where he applies for a job. Anywhere of national security, then yes it will be a problem. If he is just visiting and it is not drug or violent crime related, then it won't be a problem. If it is drugs or violent crime, then he may be refused entry but you won't know until you try.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 3:35 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
1) This is a muslim country, you are not allowed to live together unless married. However many couples do.
3) If he is going to find gainful employment then he is unlikely to find a company willing to employ him.
mike - some people really are naive. lots of photos of pregnant Kim Kardashian (unmarried mother) frolicking in Dubai, others drinking champagne on the "beaches".... don't know that this is dangerous behaviour.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 3:52 pm
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
mike - some people really are naive. lots of photos of pregnant Kim Kardashian (unmarried mother) frolicking in Dubai,
She has plenty of wasta Yanni!
Old Apr 1st 2014, 8:00 pm
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

How many companies here actually do criminal records checks as part of their hiring procedure? I'm not aware of anybody I know here having had to undergo one. Indeed, the UAE is a popular fallback for people who have been refused entry to countries with much more stringent checks, like Australia.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Eeyore
How many companies here actually do criminal records checks as part of their hiring procedure? I'm not aware of anybody I know here having had to undergo one. Indeed, the UAE is a popular fallback for people who have been refused entry to countries with much more stringent checks, like Australia.
There is a new requirement in some sectors (announced last month) to produce a home-country criminal records check, or police clearance statement, before one can get security clearance to employ someone here in Abu Dhabi. We're now having to notify our new-employment candidates of this issue - though, as far as I know, the exact requirement has still not been very clearly defined...
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 12:01 pm
Just Joined

I will ignore the wind up comment as nobody is perfect Mike. I ask these questions as both myself and my partner are professional, hardworking and honest people. I have been told so many different things about all of the rules and regulations there and just wanted some advice from people in the know.

Thank you!
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Thank you to all of the normal people for your help and advice. Would you suggest applying for working visa's before we start applying for jobs etc?

Thanks!
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 12:24 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you to all of the normal people for your help and advice. Would you suggest applying for working visa's before we start applying for jobs etc?

Thanks!
Suggesting that mikewot isn't normal?

Your visa is directly related to your job. No job = no visa and you cannot do anything much until you have a job.

Under the law it is illegal to cohabit, although many people do. Not a problem until you fall foul of the law when the consequences can be serious.

May I ask why you want to move to the UAE? It has its good points, but also bad ones and it isn't right for everyone.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 12:57 pm
Account Closed

I will ignore the wind up comment as nobody is perfect Mike.
First point is that it was April 1st and the second point is you were asking a question (cohabiting) which a single Google would have answered for you. Ergo it sounded like a wind up