Hopes and Dreams

Old Mar 4th 2008, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Matthew-C has a brilliant futureMatthew-C has a brilliant futureMatthew-C has a brilliant futureMatthew-C has a brilliant futureMatthew-C has a brilliant futureMatthew-C has a brilliant future
Default Hopes and Dreams

Hi there people

I am just about to become an Ex Pat for the first time in my life.

I am packing up all my hopes and dreams into one little bag. (Well maybe its not as dramatic as all that, but you get the idea).

Im moving to Dubai, an area called Oud Mertha. I have searched the net but cant seem to find a great deal of info about the area. And the building I am moving into is so new that it dosent even have a name yet, so I cant find much on that either.

Is there anyone currently living in this area, or in Dubai for that matter, who has some things to say about it, just to give me some idea of what I am about to let myself in for.

Cheers
Matt
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hopes and Dreams

Originally Posted by Matthew-C
Hi there people

I am just about to become an Ex Pat for the first time in my life.

I am packing up all my hopes and dreams into one little bag. (Well maybe its not as dramatic as all that, but you get the idea).

Im moving to Dubai, an area called Oud Mertha. I have searched the net but cant seem to find a great deal of info about the area. And the building I am moving into is so new that it dosent even have a name yet, so I cant find much on that either.

Is there anyone currently living in this area, or in Dubai for that matter, who has some things to say about it, just to give me some idea of what I am about to let myself in for.

Cheers
Matt
Hey Matt,

Oud Metha is on the Bur Dubai side of the Creek, close to the Maktoum bridge. It's a nice, central location - you'll be fine there. The Movenpick hotel is in that area, but you're within hitting distance of both Deira and Sheikh Zayed Road...

Good luck!
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

such a pity for him that Cyclone closed down!
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
such a pity for him that Cyclone closed down!
Yep. But he can still try to pick up 6th formers in Jimmy Dix.... Or stare at the vast emptiness of the dancefloor at the Lodge (altho I have heard it's revived in popularity of late?????)
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Yep. But he can still try to pick up 6th formers in Jimmy Dix.... Or stare at the vast emptiness of the dancefloor at the Lodge (altho I have heard it's revived in popularity of late?????)
If only I'd read that a couple of months ago
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Oud Metha is an area of relatively low rise apartment blocks close to Maktoum Bridge. It is where Lamcy Plaza and Wafi Mall are located, respectively bargain and upmarket malls. Also a few 'big name' hotels with usual facilities.

The key thing in Dubai is where you live in relation to where you will be working, as traffic congestion can be very bad on certain routes at peak times.

It is an area I looked at for living, but in the end preferred to be further 'north', nearer to the Creek and closer to the 'attractions' of Bur Dubai
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Can be a bit of a pain getting into that area due to the sharjah traffic.

lots of small restaurants and cafes there though so probably not a bad area to arrive in to.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Matthew-C has a brilliant futureMatthew-C has a brilliant futureMatthew-C has a brilliant futureMatthew-C has a brilliant futureMatthew-C has a brilliant futureMatthew-C has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy
Oud Metha is an area of relatively low rise apartment blocks close to Maktoum Bridge. It is where Lamcy Plaza and Wafi Mall are located, respectively bargain and upmarket malls. Also a few 'big name' hotels with usual facilities.

The key thing in Dubai is where you live in relation to where you will be working, as traffic congestion can be very bad on certain routes at peak times.

It is an area I looked at for living, but in the end preferred to be further 'north', nearer to the Creek and closer to the 'attractions' of Bur Dubai
I will be working in the Dubai Airport Free zone. At least I am lead to believe that is the name of the area (D.A.F.Z.A). Is that relativly near.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

By Dubai standards, a doddle. Across Maktoum bridge and around the top of the airport, then half way down the east side. If your are doing regular day hours you will be going opposite to the main traffic flow.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy
By Dubai standards, a doddle. Across Maktoum bridge and around the top of the airport, then half way down the east side. If your are doing regular day hours you will be going opposite to the main traffic flow.
Ahh good news. I wont be driving over there so it is kind od essential to be close to work. Not a big problem then. Plus i think there is a driver in with the deal, and I can use cabs too. From experiance they are reasonable on fares.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

I can use cabs too. From experiance they are reasonable on fares.
Fares are OK, but they can be a bit hard to find - Dubai is one of the few places in the world where you are not assaulted by taxi horns as you walk down the street - great if you are just out for a walk; not so good if you do need a taxi.

If it is a regular run, I think you could set up an advance booking arrangement with a taxi co.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh good news. I wont be driving over there so it is kind od essential to be close to work. Not a big problem then. Plus i think there is a driver in with the deal, and I can use cabs too. From experiance they are reasonable on fares.
getting hold of a cab here now is getting to be a mare at any time of day...and as for prebooking one, what a waste of time...

MM, xx
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
getting hold of a cab here now is getting to be a mare at any time of day...and as for prebooking one, what a waste of time...

MM, xx
Hmm thats a concern. Well I will have to cross that bridge when I get to it. Driving seems to be a nightmare over there. Every time I go over, there seem to be more and more cars on the road. Do you need an international drivers licence to drive over there? Seems like a stupid questions now that ive typed it.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:09 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa

MM, xx
its getting really bad isn't it? (listen to me, like an old time Dubai-er), its actually harder to get one since I got here, 6 weeks ago...

And most drivers stink of BO as well.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:11 pm