Homesickness

Old Sep 29th 2011, 5:40 am
  #121  
Perky but sarky
 
lullabelle's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Limboland
Posts: 608
lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness

Originally Posted by weasel decentral View Post
Don't think you are alone in industries where people get ****ed over, you ought to try construction for a while.
Interesting post by the way, but it seems to me more like you are floundering with the unfamiliar local ways and customs and hating your own inability to cope rather than hating the place.
I am feeling all analytical today
Ha! Floundering suggests I am waving my arms about in distress when the reality is that I am making a very definitive hand gesture which would put me in the Bur Dubai Hilton for a few weeks. I'm not in despair, I'm livid.

The ****ing over was done by westerners, mostly Brits. Who would all have copyright cases slapped on them if I was at home. I've yet to be ****ed over by unfamiliar locals and their unfamiliar ways. I must try it sometime.
lullabelle is offline  
Old Sep 29th 2011, 5:51 am
  #122  
BE Forum Addict
 
co durham boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,993
co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness

Originally Posted by lullabelle View Post
Ha! Floundering suggests I am waving my arms about in distress when the reality is that I am making a very definitive hand gesture which would put me in the Bur Dubai Hilton for a few weeks. I'm not in despair, I'm livid.

The ****ing over was done by westerners, mostly Brits. Who would all have copyright cases slapped on them if I was at home. I've yet to be ****ed over by unfamiliar locals and their unfamiliar ways. I must try it sometime.
The love / hate relationship with an expat existence . The minute you start to except the things that make you explode with rage and disgust you is the minute you've been institutionalized by your surroundings.

When you're surrounded by so much bullshit and wrongdoing you do wonder whether it's yourself that is going mad .

The grass is always greener on the other side until someone pisses on it
co durham boy is offline  
Old Sep 29th 2011, 6:19 am
  #123  
BE Forum Addict
 
Sandboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,094
Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness

I'm off to court again this morning - the 21st time for a case started in 2009

I know we'll win
I know they'll appeal
I know that'll delay it another 6 months
I know we probably won't get paid... ever

but I also know that the sun will shine tomorrow and I will be with good friends and unlimited cold beer and will feel ready to start again on Sunday morning provided Sunderland don't let me down on Saturday
Sandboy is offline  
Old Sep 29th 2011, 6:54 am
  #124  
BE Forum Addict
 
co durham boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,993
co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness

Originally Posted by Sandboy View Post
I'm off to court again this morning - the 21st time for a case started in 2009

I know we'll win
I know they'll appeal
I know that'll delay it another 6 months
I know we probably won't get paid... ever

but I also know that the sun will shine tomorrow and I will be with good friends and unlimited cold beer and will feel ready to start again on Sunday morning provided Sunderland don't let me down on Saturday
Welcome to my world , we struggle to get paid and these chimps here are apparently the richest nation on earth..?

You'll definitely feel bad Sunday morning if we get turned over by the Baggies , the writings on the wall for Mrs Doubtfire..!!!!
co durham boy is offline  
Old Sep 29th 2011, 12:26 pm
  #125  
Knee deep and rising
 
weasel decentral's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,924
weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness

Originally Posted by lullabelle View Post
Ha! Floundering suggests I am waving my arms about in distress when the reality is that I am making a very definitive hand gesture which would put me in the Bur Dubai Hilton for a few weeks. I'm not in despair, I'm livid.

The ****ing over was done by westerners, mostly Brits. Who would all have copyright cases slapped on them if I was at home. I've yet to be ****ed over by unfamiliar locals and their unfamiliar ways. I must try it sometime.
Floundering maybe a bad word here anyhow the point was the unfamiliar local working practices regardless of nationality and legality rather than the person who actually carried out the backstabbing.
Anyhow its something I have experienced that's why I made the comment about being angry with yourself, because its something we all have gone through.
Case in point, after meeting clients in my business and the post mortem that happens afterwards, there is a huge difference in opinion of how the meeting went (regardless of what the client actually said) and the chance of doing business with them. The shorter the period you have spent here the more likely you are to accept what they said at face value, the more experienced guys are much more aware of the realistic outcome.

anyhow getting side tracked here I hope things change for you (for the better of course)
weasel decentral is offline  
Old Sep 30th 2011, 5:51 am
  #126  
BE Forum Addict
 
Sandboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,094
Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness

Originally Posted by weasel decentral View Post
Case in point, after meeting clients in my business and the post mortem that happens afterwards, there is a huge difference in opinion of how the meeting went (regardless of what the client actually said) and the chance of doing business with them. The shorter the period you have spent here the more likely you are to accept what they said at face value, the more experienced guys are much more aware of the realistic outcome.

anyhow getting side tracked here I hope things change for you (for the better of course)

very true, my new boss arrived from Canada, first meeting was with Masdar, he was excited I told him he was wasting his time, he told me I was a cynical prick. His 2nd meeting was with the people developing Jumeriah Village ( think that was it's name, where they would flatten Satwa and Safa and build a new city ) he got the hump because I asked them the chances of it going ahead and us getting paid.

He's now back in Canada and I'm even more of a cynical prick
Sandboy is offline  
Old Sep 30th 2011, 10:51 am
  #127  
why ayeeeee man!
 
Spugsy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Disco Gardens...
Posts: 11,370
Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness

Originally Posted by Sandboy View Post
very true, my new boss arrived from Canada, first meeting was with Masdar, he was excited I told him he was wasting his time, he told me I was a cynical prick. His 2nd meeting was with the people developing Jumeriah Village ( think that was it's name, where they would flatten Satwa and Safa and build a new city ) he got the hump because I asked them the chances of it going ahead and us getting paid.

He's now back in Canada and I'm even more of a cynical prick
Aye always the same story. you have to just rise above it and not let it get you down, which it can. and as you say, lots of sun and beers and sunderland letting you down, it's not a bad life eh?
Spugsy is offline  
Old Sep 30th 2011, 1:12 pm
  #128  
BE Forum Addict
 
Sandboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,094
Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness

Originally Posted by Spugsy View Post
Aye always the same story. you have to just rise above it and not let it get you down, which it can. and as you say, lots of sun and beers and sunderland letting you down, it's not a bad life eh?

not at all - just venturing out now to hose the redbacks away and dust down the BBQ ready for the neeet, loading the soundtrack before I head out with a cold one
Sandboy is offline  
Old Sep 30th 2011, 5:10 pm
  #129  
Big Member
 
NorthernLad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,873
NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness

Originally Posted by Spugsy View Post
Aye always the same story. you have to just rise above it and not let it get you down, which it can. and as you say, lots of sun and beers and sunderland letting you down, it's not a bad life eh?
We've just gone through the '****** detesting this place' cycle. Being in Singapore/Thailand in the summer kicked this one off.

Bbq and cold beers on balcony watching sun go down fixed it...as well as chatting to friends back in the UK on Skype.

We're back to appreciating it here. Until we see Fenwicks windows at Christmas, that's going to be a tough one to deal with.
NorthernLad is offline  
Old Sep 30th 2011, 6:46 pm
  #130  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
OleJanx's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Windscale....
Posts: 5,712
OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness

Originally Posted by NorthernLad View Post
We've just gone through the '****** detesting this place' cycle. Being in Singapore/Thailand in the summer kicked this one off.

Bbq and cold beers on balcony watching sun go down fixed it...as well as chatting to friends back in the UK on Skype.

We're back to appreciating it here. Until we see Fenwicks windows at Christmas, that's going to be a tough one to deal with.
Just remember, if you come back late November/early December, It's bloody cold, windy and dark!

The joys of Christmas? One of the better Expat delusions....
OleJanx is offline  
Old Sep 30th 2011, 8:25 pm
  #131  
Token Scandinavian Bloke
 
norsk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 2,820
norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness

Originally Posted by OleJanx View Post
Just remember, if you come back late November/early December, It's bloody cold, windy and dark!

The joys of Christmas? One of the better Expat delusions....
I'm flying back to the UK in late November. Only consolation is I'm only staying for 1 day before hopping on a plane to Jamaica for 10 days all inclusive relaxation. On the way back we also stop in UK for 1 day before coming back to reasonable temperatures in Dubai.

Christmas is mostly overrated. Especially in Europe. As a kid I associated Christmas with arguing, everyone being stressed, people pretending to be happy and the disappointment of opening the shitty presents I used to get. Even though this means I am a bit of a 'bah humbug' man I must admit that Christmas has become a better experience for me after having kids...
norsk is offline  
Old Sep 30th 2011, 8:34 pm
  #132  
why ayeeeee man!
 
Spugsy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Disco Gardens...
Posts: 11,370
Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness

Originally Posted by NorthernLad View Post
We've just gone through the '****** detesting this place' cycle. Being in Singapore/Thailand in the summer kicked this one off.

Bbq and cold beers on balcony watching sun go down fixed it...as well as chatting to friends back in the UK on Skype.

We're back to appreciating it here. Until we see Fenwicks windows at Christmas, that's going to be a tough one to deal with.
Yeah it's hard, when home I think it's amazing, but after a week of shit weather and lots of people out of work I look forward to coming back to the sun and a good job and decent money - and try and forget about the idiot drivers and stupid laws.
Spugsy is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.