Homesickness

Old Aug 22nd 2011, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Homesickness

A word of advice. You hardly ever end up remaining friends with the first people you meet anywhere. Just consider them more of a springboard. But I've found that expats tend to be very welcoming if they are approached. Perhaps it's due to the fact there is some sympathy/understanding of the situation you're in. It might be hard to get with it initially if you haven't lived outside of your comfort zone before..but give it a few months and you should be rolling.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 11:59 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paracletus
A word of advice. You hardly ever end up remaining friends with the first people you meet anywhere. Just consider them more of a springboard. But I've found that expats tend to be very welcoming if they are approached. Perhaps it's due to the fact there is some sympathy/understanding of the situation you're in. It might be hard to get with it initially if you haven't lived outside of your comfort zone before..but give it a few months and you should be rolling.
Aye, agree with all of that. You need a thick skin sometimes out here.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

hearthrob13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LisaMarie7711
How often do you feel homesick? And how do you deal with it?
Iam very home sick now!!!!!
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:47 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

It's a strange feeling when you feel more foreign at 'home' than the place you reside. Perhaps rootless..perhaps some form of modern day gypsie? I'm not sure.
Absolutely! When I moved back to uni from France I really had very little in common with my British peers - I spoke differently (pure Radio 4!), acted differently (didn't see the point in binge drinking) and had a very different outlook on life (had travelled)... fortunately, Mr Kitty was in a very similar situation and looking at our long-standing friends, we're all a bunch of misfits!

The feeling of being rootless has messed with a lot of expat children's minds - I can definitely trace certain issues directly to it.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

irich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really nice

Originally Posted by Spugsy
Nice reply.

Just because you've seen horrific things doesn't mean that somebody else might be having a rough time, they haven't seen the things you've seen.

So drop the superiority complex and don't say anything unless it's going to help.
Ironical. You're the one that started with the personal insults, asshole.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
Absolutely! When I moved back to uni from France I really had very little in common with my British peers - I spoke differently (pure Radio 4!), acted differently (didn't see the point in binge drinking) and had a very different outlook on life (had travelled)... fortunately, Mr Kitty was in a very similar situation and looking at our long-standing friends, we're all a bunch of misfits!

The feeling of being rootless has messed with a lot of expat children's minds - I can definitely trace certain issues directly to it.
Being 'rootless' has never actually bothered me. My brother tries to get me to show more allegiance to the queen or whatever, but I can't be arsed. Wish I could just get myself some international travel documents and give up any allegiance/passport to any country. Not sure how that would work with work visa's though...
Old Aug 24th 2011, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Being 'rootless' has never actually bothered me. My brother tries to get me to show more allegiance to the queen or whatever, but I can't be arsed. Wish I could just get myself some international travel documents and give up any allegiance/passport to any country. Not sure how that would work with work visa's though...
Sounds as if a United Nations passport would suit you.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 5:18 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irich
The point still stands.
Old Aug 24th 2011, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ironical
Old Aug 25th 2011, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Sounds as if a United Nations passport would suit you.
Had one for awhile..not sure why..neither of my folks worked for them but we some how all got them issued. They were pretty rad. But then we attained some sort of pseudo diplomatic status..I always hated the diplobrats...especially the the Yankee ones on their compounds with their commissary and fresh milk and softball games. The $1 dollar packs of fags were ok though, as they were of import quality and not the local psychedelic kind.

Still pleased I never have to say my parents worked in the embassy or were in the military..it always seems to confuse people even further as to my moving around so much at a young age.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

irich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really nice

Originally Posted by Spugsy
The point still stands.
The point is this: Being a UK Ex Pat in many countries of the world exposes the individual to hardships and risk that are not encountered at home. This includes much of the Middle East.

I recognise that is probably an alien concept to you, given that your experience seems to be confined to Dubai, but that's the truth here for many.

I generally try to assist posters here with well meaning advice and based on my experience from 10 years overseas in KSA and the Caribbean. However, I might be less than sympathetic to some posters from time to time, or god forbid, tease a member or two.

So why don't you butt out, keep your insults to yourself, and take your defender-in-shining-armour act somewhere else.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

The point is this: Being a UK Ex Pat in many countries of the world exposes the individual to hardships and risk that are not encountered at home. This includes much of the Middle East.

I recognise that is probably an alien concept to you, given that your experience seems to be confined to Dubai, but that's the truth here for many.

I generally try to assist posters here with well meaning advice and based on my experience from 10 years overseas in KSA and the Caribbean. However, I might be less than sympathetic to some posters from time to time, or god forbid, tease a member or two.

So why don't you butt out, keep your insults to yourself, and take your defender-in-shining-armour act somewhere else.
Don't be a tw*t , your original comments were a bit off , you came across as a bully , don't be a brave lad whilst sitting behind your keyboard , especially to a woman who is asking for a bit of advice.

I don't care if you've had 10 yrs experience in Timbuktu , i've had double that plus more .

What may be second nature to some isn't always a bed of roses to others mate , we all tick differently and just because you think you've got a few years under your belt doesn't give you the right to dictate .

It's not a pissing contest to see who's been out here the longest and if it was i'm pissing a lot further than you !
Old Aug 25th 2011, 10:42 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I am always mildly amused by those who claim to have had a 'more real expat experience' because they chose to live and work somewhere awful. So the UAE is no longer a hardship posting - this is not a bad thing.

Everyone is different, everyone's experience is different. Some of us are tough and hardhearted about these things, others never settle away from their homes. Just the way it is.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 10:47 am
Viva la revolucion..

zamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to behold

this is the best thread ever!!
Old Aug 25th 2011, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Don't be a tw*t , your original comments were a bit off , you came across as a bully , don't be a brave lad whilst sitting behind your keyboard , especially to a woman who is asking for a bit of advice.

I don't care if you've had 10 yrs experience in Timbuktu , i've had double that plus more .

What may be second nature to some isn't always a bed of roses to others mate , we all tick differently and just because you think you've got a few years under your belt doesn't give you the right to dictate .

It's not a pissing contest to see who's been out here the longest and if it was i'm pissing a lot further than you !
another asshole with the personal insults. stereo assholes, in fact.

kindly show me the post where I bullied the woman. if you mean the post where i tried to point out that life could be a lot worse (ie put her troubles in perspective) then I'd say you have misinterpreted my post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.