British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Homesickness (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/homesickness-728483/)

Hello.Kitty Aug 15th 2011 2:33 pm

Re: Homesickness

Originally Posted by Paracletus (Post 9560540)
Same here, if not more infact. In any case, I have always found home where I have lived and tend to 'belong' there. I settle in new places quick. I only ever lived 1 place I hated, and left after a year..got the folks to send me 'home' to finish school.

Where do you feel you belong out of interest?

Sussex.

I know it's strange - I lived in a beautiful part of France for 7 years and loved it, fully integrated and it was definitely home, but when I'm down in Sussex, I just feel at peace. I also lived in Germany for a while and have travelled quite a bit. It'll be 3 years in Dubai next month, but I'll never be able to call it Home... quite possibly because there is no possibility of integration and so all you can ever get is a feeling of floating on the surface (unless you don't really mind that). For me, Dubai has sold out on its identity - a bit like the Costa Del Sol, and lord knows, that area doesn't appeal to me either!

LisaMarie7711 Aug 16th 2011 9:23 am

I think its missing family and friends rather than the place itself to be honest.

Most of the time I am happy here but sometimes I start thinking about my friends and all the times we shared together & thats what sets me off!

Blue Cat Aug 16th 2011 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by LisaMarie7711 (Post 9562405)
I think its missing family and friends rather than the place itself to be honest.

Most of the time I am happy here but sometimes I start thinking about my friends and all the times we shared together & thats what sets me off!

it will get easier :)

goonerseba Aug 16th 2011 4:59 pm

hola !

Apart from the obvious...family, friends, beer....for me its the sea and living on the coast. Home for me is the costa blanca (alicante) and I can spit into the med from my roof terrace, so my daily dog walking is along the amazing med coast and daily life is a real pleasure.

i'm sure those who have or do live by the coast - wherever in the world - will have similar feelings.

i'm filling up now.....:(

Victor Meldrew Aug 17th 2011 1:09 am

Originally Posted by goonerseba (Post 9563308)
hola !

I can spit into the med from my roof terrace,
:(

The big question is do you?:eek:

LisaMarie7711 Aug 17th 2011 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 9563524)
The big question is do you?:eek:

Haha XD

irich Aug 17th 2011 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 9560452)
you see, that's the funny thing, when I go back, I just focus on the positive and strangely enough, there's a lot of positive (including the freak-show at Asda).

I've been back for 6 weeks now and have crammed nearly every day full of amazing things... In fact, there are only 4 things that I genuinely miss about Dubai:
- Mr Kitty
- Mr Kitty
- Mr Kitty
- eat-as-much-as-you-like buffets. (I haven't forgotten about the BE brunch, btw!)

I agree. Despite my list I like to visit the UK. After a six month stint in KSA I've been known to fall to my knees and cry in the booze and pork pie isle in ASDA.

I also like 'green and damp' after 'bleached bone mercury arc welder light and dust'. I don't miss little england however.

I can understand about Dubai, it's always struck me as an artifical soulless place of little or no charm or beauty.

goonerseba Aug 17th 2011 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by irich (Post 9563945)
After a six month stint in KSA I've been known to fall to my knees and cry in the booze and pork pie isle in ASDA.

:rofl:

haha ! i can totally relate to that ! ahhhh...ASDA..mini scotch eggs, pepperamis, gingsters jumbo sausage rolls, twiglets...irn bru, stella,...heaven on earth !

sorry, very rude of me during daylight hours at this time of the year...

ciao..;)

LisaMarie7711 Aug 17th 2011 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by irich (Post 9563945)
I agree. Despite my list I like to visit the UK. After a six month stint in KSA I've been known to fall to my knees and cry in the booze and pork pie isle in ASDA.

I also like 'green and damp' after 'bleached bone mercury arc welder light and dust'. I don't miss little england however.

I can understand about Dubai, it's always struck me as an artifical soulless place of little or no charm or beauty.

Yeah I think the same about Dubai, it is very artificial and soulless!

Spugsy Aug 18th 2011 5:55 am

Originally Posted by LisaMarie7711 (Post 9565195)
Yeah I think the same about Dubai, it is very artificial and soulless!

It is, but once you find some decent mates (can take a while) you'll be a lot more settled, it makes a big difference - and there are lots of great things to do out here.

One tip I would give it to try and get out of Dubai every few months, hatta fort, RAK, Oman - it makes a big difference getting out to somewhere more chilled without all the madness. I went to RAK on the weekend and was so chilled when I got back, away from the mad driving and everything.

Meow Aug 18th 2011 11:35 am

Go on then, I'll bite, as it's Thursday afternoon. Why is Dubai so 'souless and artificial' ? Why does being new make it less valid than a new town anywhere else? :rolleyes:

There is some history here and in the region, some good people and I am of the opinion that if someone's life is souless and artificial then that is of their own making as there is plenty to do here if you can be bothered.

Paracletus Aug 18th 2011 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 9560767)
Sussex.

I know it's strange - I lived in a beautiful part of France for 7 years and loved it, fully integrated and it was definitely home, but when I'm down in Sussex, I just feel at peace. I also lived in Germany for a while and have travelled quite a bit. It'll be 3 years in Dubai next month, but I'll never be able to call it Home... quite possibly because there is no possibility of integration and so all you can ever get is a feeling of floating on the surface (unless you don't really mind that). For me, Dubai has sold out on its identity - a bit like the Costa Del Sol, and lord knows, that area doesn't appeal to me either!

I've not really lived anywhere more than 5 years at a stretch, and that's from being born to moving to a different continent. Having lived as part of the commoner and the privileged, I found it sometimes hard to integrate particularly where I was in a rather privileged position compared to the locals. It's been difficult settling back in the UK, so I had to go and don't think I could ever move back permanently. It's a strange feeling when you feel more foreign at 'home' than the place you reside. Perhaps rootless..perhaps some form of modern day gypsie? I'm not sure.

LisaMarie7711 Aug 18th 2011 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9566223)
It is, but once you find some decent mates (can take a while) you'll be a lot more settled, it makes a big difference - and there are lots of great things to do out here.

One tip I would give it to try and get out of Dubai every few months, hatta fort, RAK, Oman - it makes a big difference getting out to somewhere more chilled without all the madness. I went to RAK on the weekend and was so chilled when I got back, away from the mad driving and everything.

Sounds like a plan. Yeah, it'll probably take a while but thats to be expected

Spugsy Aug 18th 2011 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by LisaMarie7711 (Post 9566958)
Sounds like a plan. Yeah, it'll probably take a while but thats to be expected

Hand on heart, even moving over here with the missus, it took me 6 months before I was settled and happy here.

Didn't help that I started working for a local company and I was the only white lad there and everyone spoke Hindi or Arabic to each other.

Paracletus Aug 19th 2011 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9567280)
Hand on heart, even moving over here with the missus, it took me 6 months before I was settled and happy here.

Didn't help that I started working for a local company and I was the only white lad there and everyone spoke Hindi or Arabic to each other.

I wouldn't say 6 months is that long or unheard off. I tend to find my feet properly about the 2 year mark. The first year, you just scratch the surface, the 2nd year..you begin to assimilate. Well..that's been my general experience. By the time I have felt totally comfortable however..it's time to move..lol.