Homesickness

Old Aug 20th 2011, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

irich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really nice
Default Re: Homesickness

Originally Posted by Meow
Go on then, I'll bite, as it's Thursday afternoon. Why is Dubai so 'souless and artificial' ? Why does being new make it less valid than a new town anywhere else?

There is some history here and in the region, some good people and I am of the opinion that if someone's life is souless and artificial then that is of their own making as there is plenty to do here if you can be bothered.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mXsmyLtpxlA
hey, chill out dude, it's just my opinion as an occasional visitor. I'm sure if you live there you'll have a different perspective.

As a traveller from Rehab, I tend to regard it rather puritanically as a cross between Milton Keynes and Sodom, with a twist of Moscow.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 8:37 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
Go on then, I'll bite, as it's Thursday afternoon. Why is Dubai so 'souless and artificial' ? Why does being new make it less valid than a new town anywhere else?

There is some history here and in the region, some good people and I am of the opinion that if someone's life is souless and artificial then that is of their own making as there is plenty to do here if you can be bothered.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mXsmyLtpxlA
There is no doubt Dubai at the moment is a hell of a lot better than many places to live but also in my opinion not the best place Ive been to, I agree that Dubai is to a certain extent souless and def artificial, as indeed are a lot of people but again that goes for many places. You are right Meow there is some history here and if you get talking to some of the more friendly locals they can be very very interesting, you are also right "life is what you make it"
Old Aug 20th 2011, 1:55 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

August is a shit month, never mind the fact it is Ramadan which just inflames the misery. We have made the best of it, I am not driving at the minute so have spent more time in the house reading etc, quite enjoyed that side of it.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

RBaybee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi LisaMarie,

I completely understand what you are going through, am single, in my late twenties and have been here for 3weeks and yeah, I am finding it just as difficult... I knew it would be for a few months but never thought it would be this hard...

In my case, I have moved from London,where I have such a great family and network of friends to Dubai and not knowing a soul..But what keeps me going, what actually motivates me is the money am gonna be earning and hopefully saving.. thinking of the lifestyle i could hopefully have here compared to London, keeps me in check, helps me dry my eyes and soldier on. Friends I know will come in time, right now I am just being careful, priority is to sort myself out, friends later, or along the way

Went furniture hunting last week at mall of emirates, home center etc, came back to the hotel in tears cause i felt everyone was staring at me, single chic, furniture shopping all by her self. Why can't i buy it all online anyway?? then when i calmed down i realized it was just me, i felt self conscious, everyone else out shopping seemed to be either couples or friends.. i felt lonely and if my passport wasn't with my employer for visa processing, i think i would have found myself at DXB.

So chin up hun, i think it is a right of passage we have to pass through it will definitely get better (I pray),we also picked the worst month i think to move (Ramadan!), but I feel, if i can get through this, then bring it on! and if you want, we can talk from time to time and hopefully meet up someday.. Just message me and we can take it from there...
Old Aug 20th 2011, 8:06 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RBaybee
Hi LisaMarie,

I completely understand what you are going through, am single, in my late twenties and have been here for 3weeks and yeah, I am finding it just as difficult... I knew it would be for a few months but never thought it would be this hard...

In my case, I have moved from London,where I have such a great family and network of friends to Dubai and not knowing a soul..But what keeps me going, what actually motivates me is the money am gonna be earning and hopefully saving.. thinking of the lifestyle i could hopefully have here compared to London, keeps me in check, helps me dry my eyes and soldier on. Friends I know will come in time, right now I am just being careful, priority is to sort myself out, friends later, or along the way

Went furniture hunting last week at mall of emirates, home center etc, came back to the hotel in tears cause i felt everyone was staring at me, single chic, furniture shopping all by her self. Why can't i buy it all online anyway?? then when i calmed down i realized it was just me, i felt self conscious, everyone else out shopping seemed to be either couples or friends.. i felt lonely and if my passport wasn't with my employer for visa processing, i think i would have found myself at DXB.

So chin up hun, i think it is a right of passage we have to pass through it will definitely get better (I pray),we also picked the worst month i think to move (Ramadan!), but I feel, if i can get through this, then bring it on! and if you want, we can talk from time to time and hopefully meet up someday.. Just message me and we can take it from there...
I might be in a cynical place right now (also the 6 pints I have drunk help), but get a *****ing grip! Surely it isn't that bad and if you get depressed at having to shop furniture on your own you've got some issues that are unrelated to being an expat for the first time..
Old Aug 20th 2011, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

RBaybee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by norsk
I might be in a cynical place right now (also the 6 pints I have drunk help), but get a *****ing grip! Surely it isn't that bad and if you get depressed at having to shop furniture on your own you've got some issues that are unrelated to being an expat for the first time..
You know since i joined this forum, I have been hesistant to post anything because i see the slating some of the older posters give to newbies on here. But I read Lisa Marie's thread and thought, yeah, i can relate to that...hmmm Norsk, even with your stupid comments am still glad i did!

FYI... I never said i was depressed shopping for furniture on my own, it was the fact that looking around at everyone else, i suddenly felt lonely and wish i had someone here with me or even had a friend here...so yeah i agree with you,the alcohol has got to your brain and it is you who needs to get a f'ing grip!
Old Aug 21st 2011, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by RBaybee
You know since i joined this forum, I have been hesistant to post anything because i see the slating some of the older posters give to newbies on here. But I read Lisa Marie's thread and thought, yeah, i can relate to that...hmmm Norsk, even with your stupid comments am still glad i did!

FYI... I never said i was depressed shopping for furniture on my own, it was the fact that looking around at everyone else, i suddenly felt lonely and wish i had someone here with me or even had a friend here...so yeah i agree with you,the alcohol has got to your brain and it is you who needs to get a f'ing grip!
We are born and die alone. I'm going to agree with Norsk. Feeling comfortable in your own company is key to survival. ****..I've been to some hell holes alone, never once felt sorry for myself. I'm infact saddened that you are purely motivated by the cash incentive. Seriously..? I'd never do that for cash..life is a bit more crucial. I hope you do make some friends and stop being incensed by posts on this forum.

I left the nest at a young age and was always raised to be independent, perhaps why I never have these thoughts. Having someone around is a bonus and a luxury, not standard.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

irich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really nice

Hold on, I've got a photo of one of the bomb attacks in Riyadh back in 2004 somewhere, I'll dig it out.

That will put your mall woes in perspective.

The sweat makes us sour, you know. grr. woof.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

The girls having a hard time , what may be insignificant to you might be a life changing decision to her .
Old Aug 21st 2011, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by co durham boy
The girls having a hard time , what may be insignificant to you might be a life changing decision to her .
Don't let empathy get in the way of a good dog pile

hey RBaybee, I'll be your friend.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irich
Don't let empathy get in the way of a good dog pile

hey RBaybee, I'll be your friend.
Don't be a bully fella
Old Aug 21st 2011, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Rbaybee- Ignore the boys, I cried on a daily basis for the first 6 months and I am not a cryer at all. You're a woman, you're in a new place and probably feeling somewhat overwhelmed and vulnerable so it is expected that you might be a bit emotional. The boys on here have little emotions and those that they have are only shown when it comes to football.

Get out and meet some friends and it becomes a lot easier.

I have cried at far smaller things than furniture! Hanging a curtain pole was a complete trauma and nearly resulted in me getting on the next plane! If you're having a particularly bad day I would recommend having a good cry, an early night and waking up ina better mood. Try not to overthink things and just bare in mind it does get easier. Good luck!

You should both come to the BE drinks in Sept- people may come across as utter ******s on here but they are mostly lovely people when you meet them
Old Aug 21st 2011, 8:22 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
You should both come to the BE drinks in Sept- people may come across as utter ******s on here but they are mostly lovely people when you meet them

Ain't that the truth!!

Ladies - do come and meet some of us (folks - please can it be the evening of 15th as I can't do other dates). We are really quite nice and helpful. Honestly.

Old Aug 21st 2011, 8:32 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irich
Hold on, I've got a photo of one of the bomb attacks in Riyadh back in 2004 somewhere, I'll dig it out.

That will put your mall woes in perspective.

The sweat makes us sour, you know. grr. woof.
I believe it was May (12th?) 2003

These kind of events do help put your life into perspective but don't always prevent menial irritations still applying as time goes on. It's only human nature
Old Aug 21st 2011, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
I believe it was May (12th?) 2003

These kind of events do help put your life into perspective but don't always prevent menial irritations still applying as time goes on. It's only human nature
Indeed. I'm getting really aggrievated by the life expectancy of lightbulbs here at the moment.

Mohaya compound, November 2003.

Photos deleted

Last edited by irich; Aug 21st 2011 at 9:14 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.