Homesickness

Old Aug 15th 2011, 2:33 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness

Originally Posted by Paracletus
Same here, if not more infact. In any case, I have always found home where I have lived and tend to 'belong' there. I settle in new places quick. I only ever lived 1 place I hated, and left after a year..got the folks to send me 'home' to finish school.

Where do you feel you belong out of interest?
Sussex.

I know it's strange - I lived in a beautiful part of France for 7 years and loved it, fully integrated and it was definitely home, but when I'm down in Sussex, I just feel at peace. I also lived in Germany for a while and have travelled quite a bit. It'll be 3 years in Dubai next month, but I'll never be able to call it Home... quite possibly because there is no possibility of integration and so all you can ever get is a feeling of floating on the surface (unless you don't really mind that). For me, Dubai has sold out on its identity - a bit like the Costa Del Sol, and lord knows, that area doesn't appeal to me either!
Old Aug 16th 2011, 9:23 am
Just Joined

LisaMarie7711 is a jewel in the roughLisaMarie7711 is a jewel in the roughLisaMarie7711 is a jewel in the roughLisaMarie7711 is a jewel in the rough

I think its missing family and friends rather than the place itself to be honest.

Most of the time I am happy here but sometimes I start thinking about my friends and all the times we shared together & thats what sets me off!
Old Aug 16th 2011, 1:47 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LisaMarie7711
I think its missing family and friends rather than the place itself to be honest.

Most of the time I am happy here but sometimes I start thinking about my friends and all the times we shared together & thats what sets me off!
it will get easier
Old Aug 16th 2011, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

goonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud of

hola !

Apart from the obvious...family, friends, beer....for me its the sea and living on the coast. Home for me is the costa blanca (alicante) and I can spit into the med from my roof terrace, so my daily dog walking is along the amazing med coast and daily life is a real pleasure.

i'm sure those who have or do live by the coast - wherever in the world - will have similar feelings.

i'm filling up now.....
Old Aug 17th 2011, 1:09 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goonerseba
hola !

I can spit into the med from my roof terrace,
The big question is do you?
Old Aug 17th 2011, 5:03 am
Just Joined

LisaMarie7711 is a jewel in the roughLisaMarie7711 is a jewel in the roughLisaMarie7711 is a jewel in the roughLisaMarie7711 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
The big question is do you?
Haha XD
Old Aug 17th 2011, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

irich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really niceirich is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
you see, that's the funny thing, when I go back, I just focus on the positive and strangely enough, there's a lot of positive (including the freak-show at Asda).

I've been back for 6 weeks now and have crammed nearly every day full of amazing things... In fact, there are only 4 things that I genuinely miss about Dubai:
- Mr Kitty
- Mr Kitty
- Mr Kitty
- eat-as-much-as-you-like buffets. (I haven't forgotten about the BE brunch, btw!)
I agree. Despite my list I like to visit the UK. After a six month stint in KSA I've been known to fall to my knees and cry in the booze and pork pie isle in ASDA.

I also like 'green and damp' after 'bleached bone mercury arc welder light and dust'. I don't miss little england however.

I can understand about Dubai, it's always struck me as an artifical soulless place of little or no charm or beauty.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

goonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud ofgoonerseba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by irich
After a six month stint in KSA I've been known to fall to my knees and cry in the booze and pork pie isle in ASDA.

haha ! i can totally relate to that ! ahhhh...ASDA..mini scotch eggs, pepperamis, gingsters jumbo sausage rolls, twiglets...irn bru, stella,...heaven on earth !

sorry, very rude of me during daylight hours at this time of the year...

ciao..
Old Aug 17th 2011, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by irich
I agree. Despite my list I like to visit the UK. After a six month stint in KSA I've been known to fall to my knees and cry in the booze and pork pie isle in ASDA.

I also like 'green and damp' after 'bleached bone mercury arc welder light and dust'. I don't miss little england however.

I can understand about Dubai, it's always struck me as an artifical soulless place of little or no charm or beauty.
Yeah I think the same about Dubai, it is very artificial and soulless!
Old Aug 18th 2011, 5:55 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I think the same about Dubai, it is very artificial and soulless!
It is, but once you find some decent mates (can take a while) you'll be a lot more settled, it makes a big difference - and there are lots of great things to do out here.

One tip I would give it to try and get out of Dubai every few months, hatta fort, RAK, Oman - it makes a big difference getting out to somewhere more chilled without all the madness. I went to RAK on the weekend and was so chilled when I got back, away from the mad driving and everything.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 11:35 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Go on then, I'll bite, as it's Thursday afternoon. Why is Dubai so 'souless and artificial' ? Why does being new make it less valid than a new town anywhere else?

There is some history here and in the region, some good people and I am of the opinion that if someone's life is souless and artificial then that is of their own making as there is plenty to do here if you can be bothered.

Last edited by Meow; Aug 18th 2011 at 11:41 am.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
Sussex.

I know it's strange - I lived in a beautiful part of France for 7 years and loved it, fully integrated and it was definitely home, but when I'm down in Sussex, I just feel at peace. I also lived in Germany for a while and have travelled quite a bit. It'll be 3 years in Dubai next month, but I'll never be able to call it Home... quite possibly because there is no possibility of integration and so all you can ever get is a feeling of floating on the surface (unless you don't really mind that). For me, Dubai has sold out on its identity - a bit like the Costa Del Sol, and lord knows, that area doesn't appeal to me either!
I've not really lived anywhere more than 5 years at a stretch, and that's from being born to moving to a different continent. Having lived as part of the commoner and the privileged, I found it sometimes hard to integrate particularly where I was in a rather privileged position compared to the locals. It's been difficult settling back in the UK, so I had to go and don't think I could ever move back permanently. It's a strange feeling when you feel more foreign at 'home' than the place you reside. Perhaps rootless..perhaps some form of modern day gypsie? I'm not sure.
Old Aug 18th 2011, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Spugsy
It is, but once you find some decent mates (can take a while) you'll be a lot more settled, it makes a big difference - and there are lots of great things to do out here.

One tip I would give it to try and get out of Dubai every few months, hatta fort, RAK, Oman - it makes a big difference getting out to somewhere more chilled without all the madness. I went to RAK on the weekend and was so chilled when I got back, away from the mad driving and everything.
Sounds like a plan. Yeah, it'll probably take a while but thats to be expected
Old Aug 18th 2011, 4:19 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a plan. Yeah, it'll probably take a while but thats to be expected
Hand on heart, even moving over here with the missus, it took me 6 months before I was settled and happy here.

Didn't help that I started working for a local company and I was the only white lad there and everyone spoke Hindi or Arabic to each other.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Paracletus will become famous soon enoughParacletus will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Spugsy
Hand on heart, even moving over here with the missus, it took me 6 months before I was settled and happy here.

Didn't help that I started working for a local company and I was the only white lad there and everyone spoke Hindi or Arabic to each other.
I wouldn't say 6 months is that long or unheard off. I tend to find my feet properly about the 2 year mark. The first year, you just scratch the surface, the 2nd year..you begin to assimilate. Well..that's been my general experience. By the time I have felt totally comfortable however..it's time to move..lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.