Reload this Page >

home decor & lighting sector

home decor & lighting sector

Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

DORI DOE is an unknown quantity at this point
Question home decor & lighting sector

Good morning all

I'm doing some research into the home decor and lighting sector in the Middle East. Does anyone have any information to share about the trade fairs Gulf Bid or Index Dubai or these sectors in general? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dori
Old Feb 7th 2008, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: home decor & lighting sector

Originally Posted by DORI DOE
Good morning all

I'm doing some research into the home decor and lighting sector in the Middle East. Does anyone have any information to share about the trade fairs Gulf Bid or Index Dubai or these sectors in general? Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dori
try sending a pm to Mata Hari. I'm sure she will be able to assist
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

rebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nicerebeccadubai is just really nice

Good morning all

Thanks

Dori
Hi, I design exhibiton for trade shows here, what exactly do you need to know about them? or the interiors sector in general?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Rebecca
Thanks for your reply. Well first off I have the brochure and presentation dvd for Gulf bid. It's all very nice and positive but doesn't tell you really what to expect. How is this fair different from Index in Dubai other than location and time. Here are some of my initial thoughts.

How influential is this trade fair?
Is it looked at as being the major event in the home goods market in the middle east?
Do the major buyers in the region attend?
Do they place orders or is it more a make contacts and have a look ?.
Is it the sort of where you'd find a distributer or agent.? If not where's the best place to find one?

Specifically about lighting and home decor products, what are the major brands that you find in shops, boutiques, department stores and featured in the home/interior design magazines for the following:

1 scented products (room sprays, reed diffusers, candles and toiletries)
2 linens
3 decorative vases
4 lighting

Sorry for so many questions but I know next to nothing so any information would be a great help.

Thanks

Dori
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
try sending a pm to Mata Hari. I'm sure she will be able to assist
Will do. Thanks
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:55 am
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rebecca
Thanks for your reply. Well first off I have the brochure and presentation dvd for Gulf bid. It's all very nice and positive but doesn't tell you really what to expect. How is this fair different from Index in Dubai other than location and time. Here are some of my initial thoughts.

How influential is this trade fair?
Is it looked at as being the major event in the home goods market in the middle east?
Do the major buyers in the region attend?
Do they place orders or is it more a make contacts and have a look ?.
Is it the sort of where you'd find a distributer or agent.? If not where's the best place to find one?

Specifically about lighting and home decor products, what are the major brands that you find in shops, boutiques, department stores and featured in the home/interior design magazines for the following:

1 scented products (room sprays, reed diffusers, candles and toiletries)
2 linens
3 decorative vases
4 lighting

Sorry for so many questions but I know next to nothing so any information would be a great help.

Thanks

Dori
Are you looking to break in to the ME market? Are you looking at residential or commercial or both?

Most of these fares are a waste of time. Major players have their usual trusted suppliers and stick with them, esp in the commercial environment. Now and again you attend to check out what's new on the market so if you supply something 'different' then you will attract business.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
Are you looking to break in to the ME market? Are you looking at residential or commercial or both?

Most of these fares are a waste of time. Major players have their usual trusted suppliers and stick with them, esp in the commercial environment. Now and again you attend to check out what's new on the market so if you supply something 'different' then you will attract business.
Thank you for your thoughts. They 're just the sort of things I need to know. The comments you don't get from the marketing reports. My interest is commercial.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 6:02 pm
Pog mo thoin

Miss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Eck has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your thoughts. They 're just the sort of things I need to know. The comments you don't get from the marketing reports. My interest is commercial.
You have some nice stuff but probably no different to what designers can already get their hands on. Your best bet may be to try to sell goods to or through some of the shops here as set up costs are high here. Bear in mind that a lot of things are sourced from cheaper markets and often designers will buy products in bulk and just keep for various jobs.

Alternatively you should contact an elite design company or a top end designer who regularly uses such products in interior fit outs.

How much does it cost to exhibit at these events. I know they don't come cheap.

I will PM you some details shortly of a top designer in Dubai who may well be able to help or if not, at least he may be able to offer some further guidance.
Old Feb 10th 2008, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Eck
You have some nice stuff but probably no different to what designers can already get their hands on. Your best bet may be to try to sell goods to or through some of the shops here as set up costs are high here. Bear in mind that a lot of things are sourced from cheaper markets and often designers will buy products in bulk and just keep for various jobs.

Alternatively you should contact an elite design company or a top end designer who regularly uses such products in interior fit outs.

How much does it cost to exhibit at these events. I know they don't come cheap.

I will PM you some details shortly of a top designer in Dubai who may well be able to help or if not, at least he may be able to offer some further guidance.
I once shook the hand of Philippe Starck,2 years ago...I felt very creative and white...
Old Feb 10th 2008, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Confucius
I once shook the hand of Philippe Starck,2 years ago...I felt very creative and white...
but did you wash afterwards?
Old Feb 10th 2008, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
but did you wash afterwards?
No...Never again...