British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Holidaying in UAE.. Questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/holidaying-uae-questions-646795/)

UK PM 81 Dec 31st 2009 4:36 pm

Holidaying in UAE.. Questions

Hi folks,

I am coming out to Dubai in early Feb 2010 for a holiday. :thumbsup:

I havent booked a hotel as i was hoping to book an apartment when i get there. My flight lands at 1am, so, my questions are;

(1) Should i pre book the apartment before flying out, considering the time of morning?
I have heard that if you book a hotel then the hotel make arrangements for a visa, if i am booking an apartment myself - (2) how do i go about arranging a visa? :confused:

Additionally what about money? (3) Is it best to get the currency exchanged from the UK and then fly out or is it better to get the money sorted out at Dubai Airport?

I was hoping to go to KSA for a short trip (2 nights) :fingerscrossed:, call it a short pilgrimage! (4) Can i get a visa on arrival at the airport with my british passport? or do i need to contact the KSA embassy before leaving the uk? I assume there are daily flights from Duabi to Jeddah?

Many thanks for your advice in advance.

Wishing you all the best for 2010! :D

Regards,
F

Tiger989 Dec 31st 2009 4:45 pm

Re: Holidaying in UAE.. Questions

Originally Posted by UK PM 81 (Post 8209226)
Hi folks,

I havent booked a hotel as i was hoping to book an apartment when i get there. My flight lands at 1am, so, my questions are;

(1) Should i pre book the apartment before flying out, considering the time of morning?
I have heard that if you book a hotel then the hotel make arrangements for a visa, if i am booking an apartment myself - (2) how do i go about arranging a visa? :confused:

Additionally what about money? (3) Is it best to get the currency exchanged from the UK and then fly out or is it better to get the money sorted out at Dubai Airport?

I was hoping to go to KSA for a short trip (2 nights) :fingerscrossed:, call it a short pilgrimage! (4) Can i get a visa on arrival at the airport with my british passport? or do i need to contact the KSA embassy before leaving the uk? I assume there are daily flights from Duabi to Jeddah?

Regards,
F

1) Make sure you book your accomidation well before travel, this ensures a cheaper rate and a better bargain, as last minute deals here can be pretty expensive.

2) Assuming you have the british passport, you get the visa at arrival, if not holding a british passport theere is two convinient ways a Visa can be obtained. First book through emirates airline, they will arrange the visa for you. This can be done while booking your flight. Second, if you book in a fancy 4 star above hotel, the hotel offers a visa service for you. See what suits you.

3) Get it exchanged in the UK, exchanging money in the airport is usually at different rates and can make a huge difference. Plus you need to pay a stupid service charge on top of the exchange which makes it very unworthy of your time.

4)You need a sponser to get you in to KSA, unless you are muslim, then you need to go to an Ommra or Haj travel agency in the UK and let them apply for an omra or haj visit visa. There is no such thing as getting in to the kingdom for tourisim purposes...

Let me know if u need any further info..

Happy New Year buddy...

The Dean Dec 31st 2009 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by UK PM 81 (Post 8209226)
Hi folks,

Regards,
F

That's a lot of questions on a night when not many people are on The Bored, apart from sad no-mates losers who have nothing better to do...... :o

If you are a UK passport holder, you don't need a visa in advance to enter the UAE but you DO need one for the Magic Kingdom (why do you want to go there, by the way? Is this a Muslim thing?).

More tomorrow................ HNY. :)

The Dean Dec 31st 2009 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8209246)
That's a lot of questions on a night when not many people are on The Bored, apart from sad no-mates losers who have nothing better to do...... :o

If you are a UK passport holder, you don't need a visa in advance to enter the UAE but you DO need one for the Magic Kingdom (why do you want to go there, by the way? Is this a Muslim thing?).

More tomorrow................ HNY. :)

Ahhh............... ignore me and read Tiger's reply - much more informative.

Tiger989 Dec 31st 2009 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8209246)

Erm... I'm currently onsite doing bugger all except standby for any emergencies on the system. As I'm the only sucker who is still young and single in the department, who happily accepts such work occasions :)

But good point...

Victor Meldrew Dec 31st 2009 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Tiger989 (Post 8209268)
Erm... I'm currently onsite doing bugger all except standby for any emergencies on the system. As I'm the only sucker who is still young and single in the department, who happily accepts such work occasions :)

But good point...

If you want somewhere relatively cheap, with nice rooms, good food, pool and near to major attractions, try:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...use-Dubai.html

I have been there, met the owners/chef. It is a great deal and a very different experience to the usual 'bling bling' plastic experience you will get at the higher profile places.

By the way I dont have any connection with this place, just think it is really good.

Patsy Stoned Jan 1st 2010 6:44 am

Change your money here. The rates are better and there is no commission charge.
I guess chooosing a place to stay depends on a. your budget and b. you expectations. Lots to choose from at all different levels
Happy New Year.

Victor Meldrew Jan 1st 2010 6:55 am

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 8209394)
If you want somewhere relatively cheap, with nice rooms, good food, pool and near to major attractions, try:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_R...use-Dubai.html

I have been there, met the owners/chef. It is a great deal and a very different experience to the usual 'bling bling' plastic experience you will get at the higher profile places.

By the way I dont have any connection with this place, just think it is really good.

.... and I forgot to mention the price - around £50 a night including breakfast. Bedrooms are nicely furnished and all en-suite.[/B]