Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Holiday spending Money

Holiday spending Money

Old Nov 23rd 2009, 3:18 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Holiday spending Money

Dubai does have a lot of shops, and the Dubai Mall is impressive.

But you will pay more than in the UK. If you wanted bargain shopping you should have gone to New York.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 3:27 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Dubai does have a lot of shops, and the Dubai Mall is impressive.

But you will pay more than in the UK. If you wanted bargain shopping you should have gone to New York.
Good point!
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 4:01 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bijilo123
Good point!
Or to Dragonmart.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 5:47 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Or to Dragonmart.
nice pants
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Mischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really nice

Most Foreign Exchange places now provide a VISA cashpoint card which you load up with cash before you go and then use it overseas to withdraw cash. It's not linked to your bank account therefore more secure from cloning etc etc but still works as a cashpoint card. Don't think you can use it for purchases but you can withdraw cash as you go without worrying about bank charges.

Edited to add... if you don't spend all the cash you've put on it you can then just withdraw it when you get home.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Do traveller's cheques still exist?

They could be a good compromise between carrying cash and safety.

I am never very confident that my cards will work when I am away from home. If they don't and you are relying on them, it could be a big problem.

You should phone the cred card/deb card companies up before departing to let them know, so as to at least avoid a stop being put on them for irregular use.
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 7:46 am

rowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond reputerowell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy

They could be a good compromise between carrying cash and safety.

I am never very confident that my cards will work when I am away from home. If they don't and you are relying on them, it could be a big problem.

You should phone the cred card/deb card companies up before departing to let them know, so as to at least avoid a stop being put on them for irregular use.
My friend brought travellers cheques from the UK and had one hell of a job cashing them here in Dubai at the banks, exchange took them eventually
Old Nov 28th 2009, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Timmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy

lol, Lloyds-TSB cards werent working in Doha last week. When I phone the bank on arrival back in Dubai, they confirmed it and blamed a computer upgrade as the cause of the problems..,

then they recomended NBD ATMs for future cash withdrawals, which I dont think exist in Doha.