British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   holiday in dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/holiday-dubai-621746/)

collybabe24 Jul 23rd 2009 10:55 am

holiday in dubai

Hi guys we are moving back from oz in 2 weeks back to the uk and will be flying in to abu dhabi and transferring to dubai to stay at the legacy hotel for 4 nights, ive never been here before and would love to make the most of things, can anyone tell me how to get around, where the beaches are etc, i have 2 children 3 and 5 and im 5 months pregnant what activities are available for us to do, ive heard about going on a safari but then was told might not suit the kids, where is good to eat? and any experience of staying at the legacy, thanks for any advice :thumbsup:

sassie Jul 23rd 2009 11:42 am

Re: holiday in dubai

Originally Posted by collybabe24 (Post 7776888)
Hi guys we are moving back from oz in 2 weeks back to the uk and will be flying in to abu dhabi and transferring to dubai to stay at the legacy hotel for 4 nights, ive never been here before and would love to make the most of things, can anyone tell me how to get around, where the beaches are etc, i have 2 children 3 and 5 and im 5 months pregnant what activities are available for us to do, ive heard about going on a safari but then was told might not suit the kids, where is good to eat? and any experience of staying at the legacy, thanks for any advice :thumbsup:

Hi, I'm not too sure where the Legacy Hotel is, but the main beach area is Jumeirah Beach, about a 30 minute drive from the airport. We spent 7 days in Dubai a couple of months ago, and absolutely loved it, although the downside for us was the heat, low to mid 40's most days! We did the desert safari tour, but I wouldn't recommend it for young children, and especially not pregnant woman. I actually didnt' enjoy the safari bit at all, as i found it quite scary and it actually made me quite ill, however the rest of the tour was good, the camel rides, bbq, etc.

For things to do, it depends really. if you like shopping, then the souks are well worth a visit. I was blown away when we went to the gold souks, so much choice. If you get a chance take a trip out to the Atlantis Hotel on Palm Island. Although its a bit pricey, you can visit the Aquaadventure water park adjacent to the hotel, and also the Lost Chambers and underwater aquarium. We went to the water park on our last day and it was brilliant. For a cheaper option, Wadi Wadi World waterpark is worth a visit, so I've heard. If you visit the Mall of the Emirates there is an indoor ski slope although your kids might be too young to take advantage of that. You can also do a hop on hop off bus tour which is good value which also includes a river dhow cruise.

Just one piece of advice, if you use the taxis, make sure you use a metered taxi. We got caught out once and ended up being charged a fortune for only going a short distance.

As for places to eat, to be honest you'll be spoilt for choice. We did find eating out rather expensve. Although we did splash out a couple of times, we ended up eating mainly in the food courts at the malls. Shops are open until quite late as well, as it is too hot in the middle of the day, so things tend to come alive after the sun has gone down.

Not much more I can think of at the moment. Hope you have a great time.

Blue Cat Jul 23rd 2009 12:21 pm

The Legacy Hotel Apartments is in Al Barsha on the TECOM land. Very close to Mall of the Emirates and IBN Battuta shopping mall. Are you coming soon? it is very hot here at the minute, just thinking of the kid and the beach etc.

Kim67 Jul 23rd 2009 12:47 pm

Hire a car and drive out to Bab Al Sham for dinner one night. It's a resort in the desert and is lovely for a meal. My kids love it, you can go for the whole show or just have shwarma, pizza and beer on the rooftop.

Blue Cat Jul 23rd 2009 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 7777247)
Hire a car and drive out to Bab Al Sham for dinner one night. It's a resort in the desert and is lovely for a meal. My kids love it, you can go for the whole show or just have shwarma, pizza and beer on the rooftop.

I really couldn't recommend hiring a car here if you aren't used to the roads.

Euc- Jul 23rd 2009 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7777186)
The Legacy Hotel Apartments is in Al Barsha on the TECOM land. Very close to Mall of the Emirates and IBN Battuta shopping mall. Are you coming soon? it is very hot here at the minute, just thinking of the kid and the beach etc.

My dad (+ wife/3yr old todler) is planning to come around the middle of August. I told him it was bloody hot and humid, but he said it would be the same in Tunesia/Turkey/Morocco etc. That's his only possible vacation period, so he has to. And Dubai is surprisingly affordable around that time (cheap ass tickets, cheap hotels etc).

Well.. He'll find out for himself I guess :rofl:

MataHari Jul 23rd 2009 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Euc- (Post 7777384)
My dad (+ wife/3yr old todler) is planning to come around the middle of August. I told him it was bloody hot and humid, but he said it would be the same in Tunesia/Turkey/Morocco etc. That's his only possible vacation period, so he has to. And Dubai is surprisingly affordable around that time (cheap ass tickets, cheap hotels etc).

Well.. He'll find out for himself I guess :rofl:

lol...I'd never recommend anyone to come over this time of the year...and I'd say it's worse than those countries you mentioned...

Euc- Jul 23rd 2009 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7777389)
lol...I'd never recommend anyone to come over this time of the year...and I'd say it's worse than those countries you mentioned...

I tried to talk him out of it, to no avail I'm afraid.

MataHari Jul 23rd 2009 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Euc- (Post 7777399)
I tried to talk him out of it, to no avail I'm afraid.

no fool like an old fool...

Kim67 Jul 23rd 2009 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7777345)
I really couldn't recommend hiring a car here if you aren't used to the roads.

A lot of guys (especially if they've lived in Australia driving vast distances) can drive anywhere in the world. I'd been here about three days before my husband threw me the car keys. It's not that bad really.

Blue Cat Jul 23rd 2009 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 7777409)
A lot of guys (especially if they've lived in Australia driving vast distances) can drive anywhere in the world. I'd been here about three days before my husband threw me the car keys. It's not that bad really.

well personally I wouldn't advise it.

Kim67 Jul 23rd 2009 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7777415)
well personally I wouldn't advise it.

Yeah, I guess it's different for people from different places. In Australia you really need a car to get around, so you hire a car wherever you go on holidays. It's just come without thinking, we've always hired cars whatever country we've been in - don't even really think about it.

Blue Cat Jul 23rd 2009 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 7777428)
Yeah, I guess it's different for people from different places. In Australia you really need a car to get around, so you hire a car wherever you go on holidays. It's just come without thinking, we've always hired cars whatever country we've been in - don't even really think about it.

yes but you must agree the driving style here is quite unique and not like most countries. A pregnant woman and two little kids in a tin box hire car out here, no way.

Kim67 Jul 23rd 2009 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7777435)
yes but you must agree the driving style here is quite unique and not like most countries. A pregnant woman and two little kids in a tin box hire car out here, no way.

The driving style is unique, but when she said "we're moving back to the UK", I assumed her husband would be with her. If you hire a decent size car (with your own carseats fitted) I'd say it would be safer than traveling with taxi drivers and no carseats. But if her husband isn't with her, I agree with you.

collybabe24 Jul 23rd 2009 9:42 pm

Thanks guys for the replies, unfortunately we have heard how hot it will be we land the 11th of august and that was our settlement date on house to leave so no choice with the timing, im not sure about hiring a car to be honest i am slightly nervous about staying in dubai as i dont know a lot about the country we just got very cheap flights and accomodation and being pregnant needed a stop over, but i have heard how nice it is there and would love to see as much as possible.