British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Holiday (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/holiday-479584/)

Cham128 Sep 7th 2007 10:12 am

Holiday

Just a quick one... is 30+ days holiday unheard of when being offered a job in dubai?

arbroath_abroad Sep 7th 2007 10:32 am

Re: Holiday

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 5284102)
Just a quick one... is 30+ days holiday unheard of when being offered a job in dubai?

that is pretty standard.

Vimto Sep 7th 2007 10:46 am

One thing to have clarified is how many working days holiday are you entitled to, many employers count in calender days, 30 days is either 6 weeks or 4 weeks and 2 days depending on the counting method.

Cham128 Sep 7th 2007 10:49 am

ahh got in there just before I asked that... I'm always seeing a month's holiday... and was wondering if that's a month ie... 23 working days or 30-31 days...

Inselaffen Sep 7th 2007 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Vimto (Post 5284222)
One thing to have clarified is how many working days holiday are you entitled to, many employers count in calender days, 30 days is either 6 weeks or 4 weeks and 2 days depending on the counting method.

im going to be arguing over that with my company!
I dont know how companies can get away with the 4 weeks and 2 days counting when local laws say you have to have at least 1 day off a week anyway!!

Cham128 Sep 7th 2007 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5284636)
im going to be arguing over that with my company!
I dont know how companies can get away with the 4 weeks and 2 days counting when local laws say you have to have at least 1 day off a week anyway!!

no more 2 day weekend? :huh:

Inselaffen Sep 7th 2007 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 5284720)
no more 2 day weekend? :huh:

legally you are entitle to 1 day minimum!
most expats get 2. I had 2 with my first company out here then they unilaterally reduced it to 1. I was working 10-12 hour days anyway so I quit!

make sure everything is in order before you get here because company's can make life very difficult for you if you decide to quit before you've worked 1 year for them.

lionheart Sep 7th 2007 2:22 pm

From my experience of the Middle East, 30 days equals six weeks (ie. 5 days per week x 6 = 30days) plus Public Holidays, of course. If you work a 6 day week, however,you will get only 5 weeks off. Still much better than back home. Also, during the Holy Month of Ramadan, you should work no longer than six hours per day ( eg. 9am to 3pm).

Cham128 Sep 7th 2007 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5285086)
From my experience of the Middle East, 30 days equals six weeks (ie. 5 days per week x 6 = 30days) plus Public Holidays, of course. If you work a 6 day week, however,you will get only 5 weeks off. Still much better than back home. Also, during the Holy Month of Ramadan, you should work no longer than six hours per day ( eg. 9am to 3pm).

and i thought people were more relaxed out there lol...

Ins I have heard that a lot since i started researching... and I thought choosing a job wasn't going to be as difficult as here

Inselaffen Sep 7th 2007 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 5285196)
and i thought people were more relaxed out there lol...

Ins I have heard that a lot since i started researching... and I thought choosing a job wasn't going to be as difficult as here

think if you get a job with a reputable western company out here you are fine. If you are employed by a local company make sure you do your homework on them. I worked for an Indian owned business. i should have known better as Indian companies in my field of work, especially those in Dubai, have a bad reputation.
Am now working for Egyptians who have a good reputation in their field.

Whatever you do don't let them keep your passport! many companies will tell you its normal but dont do it!!

Cham128 Sep 7th 2007 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5285295)
think if you get a job with a reputable western company out here you are fine. If you are employed by a local company make sure you do your homework on them. I worked for an Indian owned business. i should have known better as Indian companies in my field of work, especially those in Dubai, have a bad reputation.
Am now working for Egyptians who have a good reputation in their field.

Whatever you do don't let them keep your passport! many companies will tell you its normal but dont do it!!

I thought it was normal for arab companies to do that? I know the same happens in saudi as well... hmmm cheers for the heads up on that. I also heard western companies don't give you ramadan times though either right?

oktoberon Sep 7th 2007 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Cham128 (Post 5285375)
I thought it was normal for arab companies to do that? I know the same happens in saudi as well... hmmm cheers for the heads up on that. I also heard western companies don't give you ramadan times though either right?

Retaining passports is illegal, check the holiday small print, most people get 30 working days, however, I've seen contracts that state calendar days.

The following link is an article in today's press:
http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayA...section=theuae

Paidtoplease Sep 9th 2007 5:51 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 5285086)

I thought the Ramadan working hours was only for Muslim workers ???

Inselaffen Sep 9th 2007 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Paidtoplease (Post 5290296)
I thought the Ramadan working hours was only for Muslim workers ???

not according to that article in the above link. It applies to everybody and companies discriminating between muslims and non-muslims will be fined.

Paidtoplease Sep 9th 2007 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5290322)
not according to that article in the above link. It applies to everybody and companies discriminating between muslims and non-muslims will be fined.

Phaaa, I work in a goverment service...Boooo Hooo :(