Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Hmmm, Qatar costs?

Hmmm, Qatar costs?

Old May 11th 2009, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

harrywebb is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Hmmm, Qatar costs?

Hello all, well, I came on here a few months back looking at landing a position in UAE in the petrochemicals industry seeing as the UK industry has just about died. And, after several promising leads I've failed, so far.

I have, however, got a good strong approach about a 2 year single status job, Doha based but working in Ras Laffan. It seems OK but I need a bit of advice with likely living costs to see if the deal is a good one or not.

The deal is 12 weeks/2 weeks rotation for 2 years. Rotation flights and medical insurance is paid. They offer US$4800 a month that is supposed to cover apartment, car, utilities etc... Is this enough for Doha? It doesn't sound a lot to me.

I'm haggling over day rate, it looks like somewhere between US$600 and US$750 a day is likely. Thanks for the help and advice!
Old May 12th 2009, 4:22 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hmmm, Qatar costs?

Originally Posted by harrywebb
Hello all, well, I came on here a few months back looking at landing a position in UAE in the petrochemicals industry seeing as the UK industry has just about died. And, after several promising leads I've failed, so far.

I have, however, got a good strong approach about a 2 year single status job, Doha based but working in Ras Laffan. It seems OK but I need a bit of advice with likely living costs to see if the deal is a good one or not.

The deal is 12 weeks/2 weeks rotation for 2 years. Rotation flights and medical insurance is paid. They offer US$4800 a month that is supposed to cover apartment, car, utilities etc... Is this enough for Doha? It doesn't sound a lot to me.

I'm haggling over day rate, it looks like somewhere between US$600 and US$750 a day is likely. Thanks for the help and advice!
They're having your eyes out, mate. They should be providing accommodation on that kind of job. Is the $4800 over and above your salary? Plus the drive from Doha to Ras Laffan sucks big style. It's an hour each way at least, depending on where you get a place, and guess what: It's expensive at the right end (West Bay).
Old May 12th 2009, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
They're having your eyes out, mate. They should be providing accommodation on that kind of job. Is the $4800 over and above your salary? Plus the drive from Doha to Ras Laffan sucks big style. It's an hour each way at least, depending on where you get a place, and guess what: It's expensive at the right end (West Bay).
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, $4800 is extra to the day rate and is supposed to cover flat, utilities, car etc.. I guess it's not enough? Qatar seems pretty low pay these days? Same day rates as UK it seems, or even less.
Old May 12th 2009, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrywebb
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, $4800 is extra to the day rate and is supposed to cover flat, utilities, car etc.. I guess it's not enough? Qatar seems pretty low pay these days? Same day rates as UK it seems, or even less.
From what I know, a decent flat, one bed,costs about 6000 QR per month. You can find cheaper, but you get what you pay for. Don't know anything about salaries in your line of work.....sorry.
Old May 12th 2009, 7:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Alexa
From what I know, a decent flat, one bed,costs about 6000 QR per month. You can find cheaper, but you get what you pay for. Don't know anything about salaries in your line of work.....sorry.
Thank you, finding reliable info on costs on the web away from here is very difficult since things seem to go out of date so quickly. That's about US$1650 a month then. That leaves US$3200 a month for the other things, car etc... Hmmm, not bad.

Thanks a lot