British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   This hits the nail on the head. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/hits-nail-head-622699/)

NorthernLad Jul 29th 2009 5:22 am

This hits the nail on the head.

"Now that they have gone, it feels like a return to the good old days. It reminds me why I liked about Dubai in the first place. Once again I’m living in a city where everyone is just trying to do whatever it is they do to get by."

http://www.timeoutdubai.com/aroundto...wnturn-upsides

BurpusMe Jul 29th 2009 5:49 am

Re: This hits the nail on the head.

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 7793506)
"Now that they have gone, it feels like a return to the good old days. It reminds me why I liked about Dubai in the first place. Once again I’m living in a city where everyone is just trying to do whatever it is they do to get by."

Barasti was a Chav-fest last time I was there.
I'll have to check in again sometime soon!

As I recall, the last recession delivered a similar slap of sobriety... sadly it's effect only lasted a few years.
Oh well - let's enjoy it while it lasts?

Blue Cat Jul 29th 2009 6:41 am

perfect :thumbup:

soukie Jul 29th 2009 6:47 am

Excellent - although I do think there are a few more in AD these days. Let's hope they are not here for long and move on to other places.

Emerald_Eyes Jul 29th 2009 6:57 am

I'm afraid I wasn't here "before", but I'm loving the traffic free roads and the cheap rents!

banter64 Jul 29th 2009 8:17 am

Last time I was in barasti is was very young and very local :eek:

commander Jul 29th 2009 8:30 am

spot on, i have been quite vocal about what i thought of Barastis...hopefully it will go back to the way it was..

As for AD Soukie, really? i have not noticed the chavfest to the extent of Dubai??, where can one go to witness and scorn these muppets

Grace O Malley Jul 29th 2009 10:29 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7793821)
spot on, i have been quite vocal about what i thought of Barastis...hopefully it will go back to the way it was..

As for AD Soukie, really? i have not noticed the chavfest to the extent of Dubai??, where can one go to witness and scorn these muppets

Emirates Palace , Oceans, Sax bar

soukie Jul 29th 2009 10:32 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7793821)

There were a group in PJ's last time we were there and also there were some orange inappropriately dressed chav types in Spinneys in Khalidia stocking up for a BBQ talking about "Abu Darbi" - you know what I mean. We don't do clubs now but I expect they are there.

Spugsy Jul 29th 2009 10:33 am

Originally Posted by BurpusMe (Post 7793539)
Barasti was a Chav-fest last time I was there.
I'll have to check in again sometime soon!

As I recall, the last recession delivered a similar slap of sobriety... sadly it's effect only lasted a few years.
Oh well - let's enjoy it while it lasts?

aye it can be, danny dyer was in there a while ago.

commander Jul 29th 2009 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 7794091)
Emirates Palace , Oceans, Sax bar

never been to any of these places..dont think ill bother..

more of a captains arms kinda guy..

commander Jul 29th 2009 10:35 am

Originally Posted by soukie (Post 7794099)
There were a group in PJ's last time we were there and also there were some orange inappropriately dressed chav types in Spinneys in Khalidia stocking up for a BBQ talking about "Abu Darbi" - you know what I mean. We don't do clubs now but I expect they are there.

most guys i have seen in PJ's are old school alcoholic expats whose wife's are in a different timezone..its only a hop, skip and then a jump from the Ally Pally..

I dont do clubs either..apart from free nights in 49'ers:D

Grace O Malley Jul 29th 2009 11:03 am

Originally Posted by soukie (Post 7794099)

oh spinneys is always full of them these days, leathered, sun scorched women dressed so badly.

PJ's used to be great years ago. The American Bar in the the meridian was prob the best bar ever in AD or the one where the tables used to turn, that used to be so funny.

Grace O Malley Jul 29th 2009 11:06 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7794102)
never been to any of these places..dont think ill bother..

more of a captains arms kinda guy..

Captains is great in the summer, when you can sit outside

no dont bother going to them, the Jazz bar is the only decent place to go. Heroes is way too smoky and they jam everyone in, bleeding health hazard

Whats the shangri la like these days

commander Jul 29th 2009 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley (Post 7794177)
Captains is great in the summer, when you can sit outside

no dont bother going to them, the Jazz bar is the only decent place to go. Heroes is way too smoky and they jam everyone in, bleeding health hazard

Whats the shangri la like these days

dunno really, i was at the main bar in the hotel a month or so back it was ok. I took the guys at work for a bit of post work dinner at the officers club a few weeks ago. After we went into the left bank and it was dead. I went with the wife to so cho's and that was alright. totally different to the one in Dubai...bloody expensive though