British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Hire Car Companies in Abu Dhabi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/hire-car-companies-abu-dhabi-810264/)

tombridge Sep 25th 2013 4:48 am

Hire Car Companies in Abu Dhabi

Hi,
My husband and I are waiting for a company car loan to come through but this might not be done til Deecember.
Can anyone recommend a reliable company to hire cars from for either a week (we have friends coming to stay and need a car) or perhaps a longer period of time if we feel necessary?
As we are new to living here any advice is much appreciated. Insurance (my husbands ID is being completed and then we can geta drivers licence), cars with sat nav etc.
Thanks

busybee2 Sep 25th 2013 12:52 pm

Re: Hire Car Companies in Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by tombridge (Post 10916720)
Hi,
My husband and I are waiting for a company car loan to come through but this might not be done til Deecember.
Can anyone recommend a reliable company to hire cars from for either a week (we have friends coming to stay and need a car) or perhaps a longer period of time if we feel necessary?
As we are new to living here any advice is much appreciated. Insurance (my husbands ID is being completed and then we can geta drivers licence), cars with sat nav etc.
Thanks

there are loads dimondlease, europcar, fast rentacar, thrifty and lots of local ones.... just remember when your visa comes thru you must exchange your licence otherwise illegal to drive

tombridge Sep 25th 2013 3:24 pm

Thanks Busybee. My husband has his visa through and is due to sort his licence so that is what we will do until mine comes through.

busybee2 Sep 25th 2013 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by tombridge (Post 10917531)
Thanks Busybee. My husband has his visa through and is due to sort his licence so that is what we will do until mine comes through.

once visa in passport you should not drive until you have uae driving licence.

tombridge Sep 26th 2013 3:22 am

Thanks busy bee. I'm aware of the legalities and of course we wouldn't drive until everything is legal.
Mostly keen to find out though if anyone has any experience of using car rental companies. There are so many out there I'm keen to know if any are better than others.... I have some quotes from a few. It's just if anyone had thoughts/reccomendations.

csdf Sep 26th 2013 4:37 am

I use DiamondLease. No problems whatsoever. Crap range of cars though.

tombridge Sep 26th 2013 4:57 am

I'll have a look on their website, thanks so much. Good to have positive feedback on a company.

lullabelle Sep 26th 2013 11:41 am

I used prestige - they were fine and you can get a variety of cars from them. I used them for about 8 months. They provided Oman insurance whenever I needed it for a little extra which was the main draw for using them.