Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Hints on teaching interviews

Hints on teaching interviews

Old Mar 29th 2008, 9:15 pm
Shazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

shazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to all
Default Hints on teaching interviews

I have an interview lined up for a teaching post in dubai, im not sure what the interview will entail. Has anyone had an interview for a teaching job for dubai in london recently? If so, is there like a standard format for an interview? Do they normally shortlist quite a few people?

What kind of questions do they ask? How many people generally sit in the interview and asks questions?

I havent had an interview for years and am a bit worried I might mess this up. This job looks really good and the school is one of the best in Dubai.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 6:30 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hints on teaching interviews

Originally Posted by shazia710
I have an interview lined up for a teaching post in dubai, im not sure what the interview will entail. Has anyone had an interview for a teaching job for dubai in london recently? If so, is there like a standard format for an interview? Do they normally shortlist quite a few people?

What kind of questions do they ask? How many people generally sit in the interview and asks questions?

I havent had an interview for years and am a bit worried I might mess this up. This job looks really good and the school is one of the best in Dubai.

aren't they all the best!!! good luck with your interview
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:17 am
Just Joined

jembo is an unknown quantity at this point

usually it will just be the Head/principle, having just gone through the interview cycle hey are very relaxed/friendly and my interviews were more informal chats about the industry/subject and then with some formal questions thrown in. i ended up with quite a few offers in the end and you have to remember its YOU that needs to make sure they are right for you. let me know which school as i might be able to give you the heads up.

Questions - It all depends on which school you are going for but these are my general tips:

'how you will change your teaching style for international students and high attainers' - this is almost a trick question as really as long as your doing your job well in the UK nothing should really change. you should already set high standards, differenciate and cater for all. slip in that you can quickly adapt to new environments and challenges.

'what challenges you will face teaching in an international school' - ensuring high attainment, higher level learning, being unbaised to all backgrounds etc

'what challenges do you think you'll face in dubai' - depends on who you are but the general pitch they are looking for is being able to adapt to a different culture and embrace it.

usually the first question - 'why dubai and why ???? school' - omments could range from: visited and loved the culture, family friendly environment, recommendations from friends/family/collegues, looking for a challenging career that would also allow you a different liftsyle. as for the school bit you'll need to gem yourself up using their website.

then it tends to be the usual uk based questions - what makes you a good teacher, where do you see yourselve in 5 years time, what areas do you feel you need to improve apon etc.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:24 am

shazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to allshazia710 is a name known to all

Hey thanks for the really informative reply jembo, it was really helpful.

Which school have u got ur job with?
I have an interview with Jumeirah English School.... I have read so many good things about the school and that its certainly one of the best in dubai.

Also, I have been contacted by Victoria English School in sharjah.

Did u just have the headteacher interviewing U?? That wud be great having just the 1 person but I thought they'd have about 2-3???

Thanks again for your help. Hope ur new job is going well.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:00 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

JESS is a great school! good luck with your interview!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:38 pm

Thanks....

I've got all the skills and experience needed for Jess... I just hope and pray I can show this on the interview day. I have heard great things about Jess and have my heart set on it.

Do u know roughly how many people are often shortlisted for the job?? How many people will I be competing against?
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:42 am
Just Luvin it!!!

PuRe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
I would avoid VES neva heard any good reports. In regards to shortlisted candidates that can vary in my subject for another school there was only one person who went for the job.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 9:34 am

Thanks for all your advice guys.

Is it wrong for me to have mentioned the school names on the thread? I'm quite new to this forum so not sure whats acceptable and what's not.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:10 pm
Just Luvin it!!!

Thanks for all your advice guys.

Is it wrong for me to have mentioned the school names on the thread? I'm quite new to this forum so not sure whats acceptable and what's not.
it is NOT TES!!
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

jembo is an unknown quantity at this point

not to put a downer on things but when i went for an interview for JESS they offer me a local contract. I got the impression they were tring to find multiskill people who could cover multiple subjects so maybe a question to ask
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:10 pm

Oh uve had an interview with Jess already.... what kind of things they ask U? The questions u already suggested? Did the head just interview you?
What is usually on offer on a local contract?

U turn the job opportunity down then? I'm surprised they offered u that as Ive heard and read rave reviews about that school.

Hope ur job is going well, whichever school u are teaching in. Are u enjoying it?

One more question, how long do the interviews generally tend to last? I have it in London.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:11 pm

PURE..... what do you mean by it is NOT TES???
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 5:58 am
Just Luvin it!!!

PURE..... what do you mean by it is NOT TES???
As you are aware on TES You can not name schools. You did pose a similar question on there. - I wish you well on your interview.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 7:30 am

Oh thanks for letting me know of that Pure, I really wasnt aware of that at all. Yikes! Is there anyway I can delete this thread then?