Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Hi all and moving to Dubai question again.

Hi all and moving to Dubai question again.

Old Jan 15th 2008, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

angryninja86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi all and moving to Dubai question again.

Hello nice to find this forum, I have been reading posts and people are quite helpful here oh the user name I couldn't think of anything that stands out .
Guys I am 21 at the moment well nearly 22 I am doing distance learning degree in Law through a University in London. Now to become a lawyer here as you may already know I would need to do a legal practice course for a year full time then 2 years of training contract to become fully qualified rather then get the degree and thats it. I believe this is too complicated for people who cannot afford to take time out as we have bills to pay. I was thinking to start over fresh, move to another country. If someone can answer a few questions I will be very grateful as I tried calling the UAE Embassy and Ministry of Justice but I am rather disappointed .
After I finish my degree I want to move to Dubai and find any sort of job which will be good pay so I can also manage a family there after a year or two of moving, I don't know how useful my degree will be in other careers or how it works but sure with a British passport and British certified degree I must have some value? Maybe someone can advice me on a related job that are being offered? It seems to do law they want 6 years of experience mostly after being fully qualified in the UK . I don't why I would want to move then because after 6 years wages are highly likely to be triple of what is on the plate. I have worked at a money exchange for a year, got a diploma in Sports and Exercise Science and NVQ2 in gym instruction plus I am a security guard and so I shall be until I finish this Law degree. Please help,
Many thanks in advance.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 1:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi all and moving to Dubai question again.

Originally Posted by angryninja86
Hello nice to find this forum, I have been reading posts and people are quite helpful here oh the user name I couldn't think of anything that stands out .
Guys I am 21 at the moment well nearly 22 I am doing distance learning degree in Law through a University in London. Now to become a lawyer here as you may already know I would need to do a legal practice course for a year full time then 2 years of training contract to become fully qualified rather then get the degree and thats it. I believe this is too complicated for people who cannot afford to take time out as we have bills to pay. I was thinking to start over fresh, move to another country. If someone can answer a few questions I will be very grateful as I tried calling the UAE Embassy and Ministry of Justice but I am rather disappointed .
After I finish my degree I want to move to Dubai and find any sort of job which will be good pay so I can also manage a family there after a year or two of moving, I don't know how useful my degree will be in other careers or how it works but sure with a British passport and British certified degree I must have some value? Maybe someone can advice me on a related job that are being offered? It seems to do law they want 6 years of experience mostly after being fully qualified in the UK . I don't why I would want to move then because after 6 years wages are highly likely to be triple of what is on the plate. I have worked at a money exchange for a year, got a diploma in Sports and Exercise Science and NVQ2 in gym instruction plus I am a security guard and so I shall be until I finish this Law degree. Please help,
Many thanks in advance.
don't bank on it...they want degrees and experience usually. I think that without a definite job in mind, and no experience, it's unlikely you are going to get a well paid job here...and it's bleedin expensive, as you'll see if you read through some of the threads here...

MM, xx
Old Jan 15th 2008, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

Many thanks in advance.
personally if i was in your situation i'd stick with the law in the UK... there are plenty of fields you can move into that your degree gives you an advantage in however... if you really want to earn money in the long term then stick with it. my neighbours daughter has just completed her stint and starts a new job in september in the uk... the money she'll be on is ridiculous considering she's almost a completely fresh graduate.

in every field they want experience... but then how are you supposed to get it? really start looking for graduate open days etc...

huge service companies like accenture take people from every field and they do have use for people with legal qualifications... good company to work for as well... head down to one of their open days and see if you can get in...

i'm not sure you'll get much in dubai without relevant experience

really though you're 21 and you want a family settled etc by 23?
Old Jan 15th 2008, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

hey guys thanks for reply. Good advice about the graduation day n na family not yet really after my degree I am in the first year, by the time I am finished I will be about 24 and then 2-3 years after that . I see what you guys are saying problem is that everything is just so sensitive here if you know where I am coming from. There are so many barriers in life so many little laws which are just out of my understanding. Dubai, I was seeing it as a fresh start and law well lawyer here is not that much fun either because I already have a mortagage to pay off, bills lifestyle and all I don't even go out now to save up what ever I can which sounds a bit crazy but hey its life. But I do have many skills which are not appreciated here at all. As you can see law and sports do not have direct connections but I still am enjoying the qualifications. The biggest problem is security now because of all these threats and knive culture, drugs its very difficult to imagine kids in control then you have laws saying you can't decipline kids but if they are not deciplined you may be responsible . I just want to lead a simple life earn money spend it on good things and for once not pay 25% of my low wages on taxes!
Old Jan 15th 2008, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to beholdCham128 is a splendid one to behold

hey guys thanks for reply. Good advice about the graduation day n na family not yet really after my degree I am in the first year, by the time I am finished I will be about 24 and then 2-3 years after that . I see what you guys are saying problem is that everything is just so sensitive here if you know where I am coming from. There are so many barriers in life so many little laws which are just out of my understanding. Dubai, I was seeing it as a fresh start and law well lawyer here is not that much fun either because I already have a mortagage to pay off, bills lifestyle and all I don't even go out now to save up what ever I can which sounds a bit crazy but hey its life. But I do have many skills which are not appreciated here at all. As you can see law and sports do not have direct connections but I still am enjoying the qualifications. The biggest problem is security now because of all these threats and knive culture, drugs its very difficult to imagine kids in control then you have laws saying you can't decipline kids but if they are not deciplined you may be responsible . I just want to lead a simple life earn money spend it on good things and for once not pay 25% of my low wages on taxes!
well the one piece of advice i can give to you is always think long term... don't take a job for just the money... think about where it can get you... taking the wrong job can pigeon hole you at an early stage so be carefull.. besides just think about it, if you have experience in the uk you'll earn more than if you were going to dubai fresh and wet behind the ears
Old Jan 15th 2008, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Also seriously think about whether or not you really want to do law and whether you have a CV that is going to get you a Training contract.
I did the GDL in Leeds and then the LPC at Nottigham Law School and got Commendations on both. I also have 10 years commercial experience in the shipping industry, yet I couldnt get a TC with a decent size firm because my A'Levels weren't good enough. I didnt even get interviews with the major shipping law firms even though I probably know more about the shipping industry than the majority of partners in those firms. I wasnt going to go and work in some small high street firm so I came back to my old career which brought me out here.

The LPC is a lot of money!!
Old Jan 15th 2008, 2:18 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

My advice to everyone is to use proper punctuation. I struggle to read 'stream of consciousness' threads.

Thanks
Old Jan 15th 2008, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
My advice to everyone is to use proper punctuation. I struggle to read 'stream of consciousness' threads.

Thanks
we do it on purpose to confuse you!
Old Jan 15th 2008, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
we do it on purpose to confuse you!
she gets confused anyway... its what happens when you get further into life
Old Jan 15th 2008, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

wd_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Ninja!

I am 21 and turning 22 next month.

Stay at home and gain your work experience and then move to Dubai.. I, unfortunately, made a mistake coming to Dubai this early in my career Oh well, I'm heading back to the UK to be taxed like a #@#@#@#
Old Jan 15th 2008, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Hey wd_uk, well its a shame that the bad happened. Surely British passport holds alot of value in middle east. I have cusins who live there they have all studied here and got jobs because of a British degree. Well you will gather up experience I suppose. I have applied for G4S as a security guard and got the job they also operate in Dubai I don't know maybe you might want to try them as they have lots of vancies going at the moment in the UK.
To me its all about a new start. Although its great to live in her Majestry's country its such a shame that alot of people feel they cannot defend their selves or go out incase of getting robbed. I don't feel safe and secure anymore even though I am a martial artist myself. Its not about moving to a country believing it is gold rather moving there because of the strict justice system and safer environment.
Law itself well they have made it so difficult to get anywhere you would have to either have rich parents or no commitments in life which require full time attention too. Some countries will only take degrees to qualify but eventhe ministry of justice could not tell you how I can apply to work in the system, they said call the embassy
Call me paranoid if you like but I am studying law and even I am worried about making one silly mistake and end up with a poor credit rating or driving points or fine etc.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hey wd_uk, well its a shame that the bad happened. Surely British passport holds alot of value in middle east. I have cusins who live there they have all studied here and got jobs because of a British degree. Well you will gather up experience I suppose. I have applied for G4S as a security guard and got the job they also operate in Dubai I don't know maybe you might want to try them as they have lots of vancies going at the moment in the UK.
To me its all about a new start. Although its great to live in her Majestry's country its such a shame that alot of people feel they cannot defend their selves or go out incase of getting robbed. I don't feel safe and secure anymore even though I am a martial artist myself. Its not about moving to a country believing it is gold rather moving there because of the strict justice system and safer environment.
Law itself well they have made it so difficult to get anywhere you would have to either have rich parents or no commitments in life which require full time attention too. Some countries will only take degrees to qualify but eventhe ministry of justice could not tell you how I can apply to work in the system, they said call the embassy
Call me paranoid if you like but I am studying law and even I am worried about making one silly mistake and end up with a poor credit rating or driving points or fine etc.
driving fines/points etc will not be a problem for a legal career. Dishonesty crimes are the ones that would cause you a problem.
seriously, have a good talk to your University's careers people and Law Firm recruiters about your chances of getting a TC. I wasted 8.5K on the LPC and know a lot of people who didnt get TC's. If you went to the right school and a top University then you will have no problem. If you didnt then really do your research.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

well Inselaffen I get exactly where you are coming from the thing is though I am aging plus I have got so much commitments here specially bills and all I just want to get away from it all. We all work to better our selves in life and get the most of it. Me spending 8K on a course and to study it full time is way too much. Seriously I am now a mature student. Then TC. Well I am sure getting paid 15K (inclusive tax) a year I will be in court with a CCJ and won't be able to get proper work any how afterwards. I mean planning is everything. The system is too much for people who want to break in. Would it not be clever to combine LPC with the degree I mean we do go around the Law library looking for the right info. But then some pen pusher will not get a massage in Thai land. I know its earth and not heaven but theres only so much a person can take. As for crimes well some pretty silly stuff can get you in trouble i.e. going 32 miles per hour in 30 zone. Yep I manage to get four points for that. This was about 2 years ago hence my interest in a Law degree. But again your are correct and that is the master plan to do the Training contract really pay off the mortgage move to dubai after renting the house here or something. Wish I could do so without wasting three years going through a system which will harm my credit rating and mess up my house hold n stuff oh well
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

And your right points are no probs for legal career but it is for my insurance company who make the insurance more expense hence taking the left overs from me. crazy isn't it I know. Hence the plea for a fresh start but you have the truth there without training contract I will probably by a butler like Alfred (Batman movie). Erm I prefer the Training contract to that
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And your right points are no probs for legal career but it is for my insurance company who make the insurance more expense hence taking the left overs from me. crazy isn't it I know. Hence the plea for a fresh start but you have the truth there without training contract I will probably by a butler like Alfred (Batman movie). Erm I prefer the Training contract to that
Ageing! dont make me larf!
try and get a job out here. do some work and earn a few quid for a couple of years and then go and do the LPC. It wont do your CV any harm.

fyg I was 33 when I started the GDL. so age is not your problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.