Reload this Page >

Hi All - Another Riyadh Newbie

Hi All - Another Riyadh Newbie

Old Sep 5th 2009, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Cloutman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi All - Another Riyadh Newbie

Hi everyone -
Like so many others it seems, I have just started working full time in Riyadh.
I have my accommodation sorted (in Olaya) and have transport sorted - so, sorry, no 'where can I live' questions (been through all that!) Now I just need to get my life sorted!

I'm living & working here while my family is in the UK and so I would welcome advice on getting to know others in a similar position.
Also, what is the story on getting 'registered' with the Embassy here? How do you do that? (I have logged into the FCO locator but that's no use for social contacts)
Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Lastly - don't suppose there's anyone else in Riyadh interested in Archery?

Looking forward to 'meeting' with many of you.
Thanks.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 6:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi All - Another Riyadh Newbie

Originally Posted by Cloutman
Hi everyone -
I have my accommodation sorted (in Olaya) and have transport sorted - so, sorry, no 'where can I live' questions (been through all that!) Now I just need to get my life sorted!

I'm living & working here while my family is in the UK and so I would welcome advice on getting to know others in a similar position.
Also, what is the story on getting 'registered' with the Embassy here? How do you do that? (I have logged into the FCO locator but that's no use for social contacts)

Thanks.
Hi Cloutman,

Archery? Will almost certainly be a few - ask at the Embassy after you register. The best way to do that is quite simply to go there, and they will mention other contacts that are relevant to you.

Also this lot are good ( http://www.rgbb.org/ ) and they meet regularly.

Good luck.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Danajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really niceDanajj is just really nice

Hi Cloutman - there's a few of us new arrivals that are starting to get together - always welcome to join.
Old Sep 5th 2009, 7:56 pm
Northerner - Obhur

Spurss is on a distinguished road

Cloutman, Welcome to Riyadh & Ramadan Kareem
Old Sep 6th 2009, 7:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Dean
Hi Cloutman,

Archery? Will almost certainly be a few - ask at the Embassy after you register. The best way to do that is quite simply to go there, and they will mention other contacts that are relevant to you.

Also this lot are good ( http://www.rgbb.org/ ) and they meet regularly.

Good luck.
Thanks for the quick reply and the pointers. I appreciate it.
I have already talked with the Embassy on the phone and they were lees than enthusiastic . . . just wanted me to register through the locate system which I have already done. but I will get connected to the RGBB group - which the Embassy also pointed me at.

As for the Archery, well, we'll see what I can find out!

Regards.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 7:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Danajj
Hi Cloutman - there's a few of us new arrivals that are starting to get together - always welcome to join.
Hi Danajj - thanks for your comments. I'd be happy to participate in any get-togethers. Particularly with other new arrivals that are going through the learning phase!

I've not found the Private Message facility on the Forum (bound to be one, just need to spend some time looking!) but if can send me a message then I can provide a contact number.

Look forward to participating with your group.

Regards.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 1:18 pm
Just Joined

LofA is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone -

Thanks.

Hi Cloutman

Welcome to riyadh. Think you may need an indoor archery court/pitch/green/ what is it called? As weather too hot here most of the year for outside sports. Good luck.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the quick reply and the pointers. I appreciate it.
I have already talked with the Embassy on the phone and they were lees than enthusiastic . . . just wanted me to register through the locate system which I have already done. but I will get connected to the RGBB group - which the Embassy also pointed me at.

As for the Archery, well, we'll see what I can find out!

Regards.
I see you've already encountered "Pathetic Embassy Normal Incompetence Syndrome" (P.E.N.I.S.).

First rule of working abroad: Never rely on the British Embassy for anything - they regard their tour of duty as an extended paid holiday, and your needs represent an unwelcome interruption.

Use them unashamedly (drinking their beer etc), but please God never actually need them.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Dean
I see you've already encountered "Pathetic Embassy Normal Incompetence Syndrome" (P.E.N.I.S.).

First rule of working abroad: Never rely on the British Embassy for anything - they regard their tour of duty as an extended paid holiday, and your needs represent an unwelcome interruption.

Use them unashamedly (drinking their beer etc), but please God never actually need them.
Yes - I kind of got that impression. Now, taking your advice, all I need to find out is how to access their beer

Thanks.
Old Sep 6th 2009, 6:04 pm
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future

Hi Cloutman,
where are you working? do you play golf? there is also a keen desert hash group of brits (too hot for my liking) who meet regularly. The social side of the embassy comes with meeting people who get in regularly or actually work there.
Welcome to Riyadh, been here seven weeks now and loving it.
Regards Kenny
Old Sep 6th 2009, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kenny and Moe
Hi Cloutman,
where are you working? do you play golf? there is also a keen desert hash group of brits (too hot for my liking) who meet regularly. The social side of the embassy comes with meeting people who get in regularly or actually work there.
Welcome to Riyadh, been here seven weeks now and loving it.
Regards Kenny
Hi Kenny - thanks for the post.
I'm working in Olaya, just by the Kingdom Tower, and living nearby as well.
Unfortunately I don't play golf . . .but it sounds like maybe I should!
Not sure what Desert Hashing is but it sounds like hard work. If you knwo more and can give me a contact then I'll follow it up.
Glad to know that you have settled in well. D'you work anywhere around the area I'm in? Happy to buy a coffee some time (when things are more back to 'normal' I guess)
Sounds like I'm going to have to track down some emnbassy types. Could be a new pastime!

All the best.

All the bes
Old Sep 7th 2009, 5:03 am
Not Dun Roaming Just Yet

Kenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant futureKenny and Moe has a brilliant future

Hi Cloutman,
I work up in Khasm Al Aan with the Saudi Arabia National Guard (SANG) but live in Cordoba compound. I get down to Olaya often as we do a bit of business in various locations there, yep maybe a coffee after Eid. There are quite a few brits do the desert hash thing, no doubt someone will come forward with information shortly
regards
Old Sep 7th 2009, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Riyadh and to the Board.

Golf might a good activity to get into, the nearest golf course is Arizona compound AFAIK.

The Hash thing is a group of people who meet - usually weekly - and go for a walk ( or run ! ) in the local desert / countryside. There is usually an organiser for these things, and they tend to meet on a Thursday afternoon, the one's I've been on are quite well organised and seem to be well run affairs. Good way to get to meet people and of course, to get out of the city now and again.

Or you could just go out and buy a Harley Davidson ( Exit 5 off the ring road ) and join up with the local riders tearing up the town?
Old Sep 8th 2009, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
Welcome to Riyadh and to the Board.

Golf might a good activity to get into, the nearest golf course is Arizona compound AFAIK.

The Hash thing is a group of people who meet - usually weekly - and go for a walk ( or run ! ) in the local desert / countryside. There is usually an organiser for these things, and they tend to meet on a Thursday afternoon, the one's I've been on are quite well organised and seem to be well run affairs. Good way to get to meet people and of course, to get out of the city now and again.

Or you could just go out and buy a Harley Davidson ( Exit 5 off the ring road ) and join up with the local riders tearing up the town?

Thanks Nottmbantam -
Not sure the Harley is an option for me (good as it sounds) but getting some excercise out of the city could be good. How do you get connected with the Hash organisers - or find out where / when these things kick off?
If it's easier to send me a PM on this then please do so.
Regards.
Old Sep 8th 2009, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't got the contact details for the Riyadh people, as I just used to tag along with a few other guy's here on the compound. I've been on the Jeddah Hash a few times, and their details are on Facebook, so in the first instance, I would suggest trying that?

I've sent a message to my contact in Jeddah to ask if he knows anyone in Riyadh HHH, so as soon as I've heard from him, will let you know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.