British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   HERE WE GO AGAIN... SCHOOLS... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/here-we-go-again-schools-875940/)

Bocat Apr 14th 2016 8:25 pm

HERE WE GO AGAIN... SCHOOLS...

Me again.

We are moving back to the UAE at the end of June after a brief spell back home in the UK. We lived in Abu Dhabi previously but this time we'll be in Dubai.

We're considering the following schools for our two children who will be entering Year 7 and Year 4 in September. Does anyone have any feedback (good or bad) on any of them...

1. Safa Community School.
2. Jebel Ali School.
3. Dubai British School.

Thank you!

Boat

Millhouse Apr 15th 2016 9:42 am

Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN... SCHOOLS...

DBS is a good school. I liked it. Too much homework in my opinion though.

Victor Meldrew Apr 15th 2016 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Bocat (Post 11923228)
Me again.

We are moving back to the UAE at the end of June after a brief spell back home in the UK. We lived in Abu Dhabi previously but this time we'll be in Dubai.

We're considering the following schools for our two children who will be entering Year 7 and Year 4 in September. Does anyone have any feedback (good or bad) on any of them...

1. Safa Community School.
2. Jebel Ali School.
3. Dubai British School.

Thank you!

Boat

Jebel Ali definite choice 1
DBS choice 2
Safa choice 3

Why have you specifically focused on these 3?

You will probably have difficulty registering onto a waiting list for the following but they are Premier League:
DESS
JESS Jumeirah
JESS Ranches

Bocat Apr 15th 2016 11:42 am

Thanks for your replies.

Specifically focusing on these three as they are as close as I can find to community type schools and within our price range. They were also recommended by two teacher friends who worked in Dubai previously.

JESS/DESS etc - tried these previously when we thought we were moving to Dubai (before Abu Dhabi) - could barely get someone to reply to our queries much less see around the school. (I've worked in Admissions so I know how crazily busy it is - but still...).

Also - having been in so called premier schools previously in Asia - my kids are much happier in a "normal" school.

Victor Meldrew Apr 16th 2016 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Bocat (Post 11923735)
Thanks for your replies.

Specifically focusing on these three as they are as close as I can find to community type schools and within our price range. They were also recommended by two teacher friends who worked in Dubai previously.

JESS/DESS etc - tried these previously when we thought we were moving to Dubai (before Abu Dhabi) - could barely get someone to reply to our queries much less see around the school. (I've worked in Admissions so I know how crazily busy it is - but still...).

Also - having been in so called premier schools previously in Asia - my kids are much happier in a "normal" school.

I know DESS are inundated with applications but they do have regular walks around school with prospective parents. When did you last enquire? They have had a change in reception personnel so you might get a more satisfactory response.

DESS is a nice school with more of a British feel and 'small school' feel than others. Parents are less pretentious than the other 2 I mentioned.

Of the ones you mention, Jebel Ali is probably the best but it is further out than most and on the way out to AD so it would depend where you were going to live.

Bocat Apr 16th 2016 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 11924493)
I know DESS are inundated with applications but they do have regular walks around school with prospective parents. When did you last enquire? They have had a change in reception personnel so you might get a more satisfactory response.

DESS is a nice school with more of a British feel and 'small school' feel than others. Parents are less pretentious than the other 2 I mentioned.

Of the ones you mention, Jebel Ali is probably the best but it is further out than most and on the way out to AD so it would depend where you were going to live.

Thanks Victor :). Just had a look at the DESS website but I see they only go up to Year 6. I have one going into Year 4 and one into Year 7 in September and I really want to have them in the same school if possible.

Victor Meldrew Apr 17th 2016 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Bocat (Post 11924786)
Thanks Victor :). Just had a look at the DESS website but I see they only go up to Year 6. I have one going into Year 4 and one into Year 7 in September and I really want to have them in the same school if possible.

DESS have a successful high school (DESC) which has been open for around 10 years now. Enthusiastic and able staff with good leadership. Different site altogether but they can be bussed from most places, or perhaps you will have a driver/car?

You would have 3 years of different sites but worth it in my opinion.

If your children go to DESS they automatically get a place at DESC.

Jebel Ali are currently still only Primary although I believe the plans to build a secondary are going ahead after a 8 year delay. (Unless thay have started building it already).

Brains1983 Apr 19th 2016 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 11924948)
Jebel Ali are currently still only Primary although I believe the plans to build a secondary are going ahead after a 8 year delay. (Unless thay have started building it already).

It's complete and they move in from September this year.