Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Help!!!!Where to go?

Help!!!!Where to go?

Old Feb 4th 2008, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

steelertom is just really nicesteelertom is just really nicesteelertom is just really nicesteelertom is just really nicesteelertom is just really nicesteelertom is just really nicesteelertom is just really nicesteelertom is just really nice
Default Help!!!!Where to go?

Hi guys, Just joined so be gentle.

Me and my wife have been studying this forum for the past 6 months looking at posts after a talk about emigrating,
we have met some families who live in dubai over the past few years but never kept in touch, and after hearing what they have said are relly interested in what dubai has to offer us
Sarah my wife is a qualified Nursery Teacher and I work in Sales for an IT company in the UK
We have decided that over the next few months we are going to visit dubai to have a look at the place, this will be our first visit, however, it wont be ideal as we will not be coming out for too long and we want to see the comunities on offer, if possible sarah would like to visit a school to see what the teaching is like in dubai and it would be great to meet up with a family who have made the move.

please please please, if you have any advice for us we would be very grateful
things we are looking for are where to stay in dubai when we come to visit if there is anyone we could contact to view properties what would be available if we made the move, and what to do to make it a sucessful recci visit.

Thanks for all your help
also if there are any other good websites for us to look at

Cheers

Tom
Old Feb 5th 2008, 3:16 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help!!!!Where to go?

well...if you have been studiying the forum you are pretty much up to date with all the info there is...

Good idea to come out and have a look first...even if it's only a short visit you'd at least get a feel for the place. As far as actually viewing properties....that won't be much use since where you will live will probably be related to where your work will be...plus what is available now, won't be available when you move....but of course you can have a look in certain neighbourhoods/areas to see if it's your kind of thing...

you will have read that Dubai isn't that cheap to live anymore, and you'll know the rents are really high, so keep that in mind....you'll need to have a pretty good package to make it worth moving over here...again, plenty of info on that on the forum...

Bit concerned about your jobs....nursery teachers here don't earn a lot of money and certainly won't get any additional allowances on their salary, not sure about the IT Sales job...but I am sure others will be able to comment on that...
Old Feb 5th 2008, 4:48 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I agree MH, your wife will probably earn in the region of 5000 dhs a month by working in a nursery, there are plenty here and I don't see her having a problem getting work. The main issue here is rent, you would need to secure a good package to make life work out here and that should be your main issue. There is a wikipedia with lists of all the recruitment agencies. Send your CV to them and see what feedback you get from them.

Places to stay - plenty of them. I suggest you get a package deal from the UK with Emirates as getting separate flights and accomdation can be pretty pricey. I always recommend www.arabianparkhoteldubai.com, as it is new, clean and reasonably priced and in the centre of town. There is MASS construction nearby though.

If you do manage to get a trip sorted out I am more than willing to speak to your other half about life here. When you get your PM facility sorted please feel free to contact me.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

there's a hotel in Jumeirah that someone has just told me about and it's meant to be gorgeous...at about 600dhs for a standard room it doesn't seem too pricey either... http://www.lamaisondhotesdubai.com/rooms.htm

MM, xx
Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
there's a hotel in Jumeirah that someone has just told me about and it's meant to be gorgeous...at about 600dhs for a standard room it doesn't seem too pricey either... http://www.lamaisondhotesdubai.com/rooms.htm

MM, xx
but its a dry hotel! no booze
Old Feb 5th 2008, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
but its a dry hotel! no booze
oh i know...but it's a great location and cheap...most of the ones with a licence are more pricey aren't they...??

MM, xx
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:16 am
Just Joined

steelertom is just really nicesteelertom is just really nicesteelertom is just really nicesteelertom is just really nicesteelertom is just really nicesteelertom is just really nicesteelertom is just really nicesteelertom is just really nice

Thanks for this guys,
just a little more info for you
My Missus is Nursery Teacher in the UK ,However she is qualified to teach any age up to secondry/high school
and I would look at any job really as long as i was bringing some cash in haha

I can imagine from reading the forum its not as cheap as it used to be but I guess its the lifestyle would would enjoy, but again this is why we have to come out and look for our selves

just for the record can I ask on average what would you say a half decent salary would be in UAD and what would that be in English. you know a salary you could get by on.

Thanks for your help.

PS. How do you get the PM Working
Old Feb 5th 2008, 8:29 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

you need to post 5 times to get the PM to work. Salaries are a tricky one, and what you need to live on as everyone is different but as a rough guideline

20 - 15 k salary
180 k housing (maybe more)
medical, flights, schooling

I aint got a clue what that is in pounds, divide by 7

Local school looking for supply teachers at 500 Dhs a day
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:09 am
Just Joined

sorry B.C im at work at min just had a quick look at your last reply
can you break that down as i didnt quite get what you ment
by the 180k part.
cheers
sorry to be a pain.
Tom
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

most companies give expats a housing allowance.
180k is the annual housing allowance.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:24 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
most companies give expats a housing allowance.
180k is the annual housing allowance.
yes you need to negotiate either an annual housing allowance or a larger basic salary. Remember most land lords here want six months rent in advance at least.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:46 am
Just Joined

I see, I get you now.
and included in this allowence you take into account other things like medical expeses etc.

B.C - I saw your post about supply teachers are you in teaching yourself
was just thinking it might be worth getting my missus to get intouch
i know there are some things she wants to know.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:51 am
Concierge

I am not in teaching but my daughters school are looking for supply teachers, they are a nice crowd of ladies. Do a search on the Regent International School and contact them via the site. Also GEMS Education are recruiting at the minute, new school opening very soon. There is huge demand for teachers out here. It might be better for her to get a job. I know that GEMS recruit Internationally and you would get an apartment in with the job, in my building!!! not sure if that is good or bad

180,000 PLUS medical, flights etc etc
Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:30 am
Just Joined

well thats our thoughts at the min, maybe if sarah could get a job cos of the high demand but come out together and me search for a job when we get there.

whats your thoughts good or bad idea?

where abouts in dubai are you based B.C (Just so i could have a look ont tinterweb)

Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 10:33 am
Concierge

I do actually think that is a good idea. GEMS are offering 14k a month plus an apartment, flights and medical. You couldnt manage on this alone but if you get a job then you should be ok. The 14k is manageable for a singly but not a family. do you have children??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.