Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Help! So many questions so little time!

Help! So many questions so little time!

Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Veedub is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! So many questions so little time!

Hi All

I have just signed up to this very informative forum and found out answers to a number of my queries, but one thing I haven't found is an up to date and definative list of living expenses. I would love answers/confirmation on a postcard to the following!

Rent - 9-10k? Do apartments exist whereby you can pay monthly? Also a heads up on nice areas to live...

What should I budget for other bills such as water, elec, apartment tax, air con, telephone/internet and tv?

I am assuming that all healthcare is private and something I will be negotiating for both me and my girlfriend, but what are the costs worse case?

Food bills - I'm going for 1500 here?

Car rental for something half decent - 3k?

Also visa query - I will be getting a work visa through my employer but what about my other half as we are not yet married?

Another concern is shipping our little cat out and if anyone has done similar...

If the offer is all good we should be coming over in a month or 2 and I think I will earning 23-24k with my girlfriend finding work once we have relocated - Is this enough to live on. Oh and how much to ship out from UK to Dubai from a smallish 2 bed apartment?
Any help is much appreciated!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! So many questions so little time!

Originally Posted by Veedub
Hi All

I have just signed up to this very informative forum and found out answers to a number of my queries, but one thing I haven't found is an up to date and definative list of living expenses. I would love answers/confirmation on a postcard to the following!

Rent - 9-10k? Do apartments exist whereby you can pay monthly? Also a heads up on nice areas to live...

What should I budget for other bills such as water, elec, apartment tax, air con, telephone/internet and tv?

I am assuming that all healthcare is private and something I will be negotiating for both me and my girlfriend, but what are the costs worse case?

Also visa query - I will be getting a work visa through my employer but what about my other half as we are not yet married?

Another concern is shipping our little cat out and if anyone has done similar...

If the offer is all good we should be coming over in a month or 2 and I think I will earning 23-24k with my girlfriend finding work once we have relocated - Is this enough to live on. Oh and how much to ship out from UK to Dubai from a smallish 2 bed apartment?
Lord, what a lot to answer. I'll do a couple and leave the rest to others.

a) Visa for GF - sorry, mate, you can't sponsor her. She'll have to do the bi-monthly visa run (you need only drive over the border to Oman to renew her visa, takes about 90 mins from Dubai.) until she gets a job & her own sponsorship. Best not to let on to the landlord that you'll be co-habiting either.

b) Car rental - I had a godawful 1.2L mazda from budget when i first arrived, think I paid aed 300

c) Cat - yes, you can ship him over but do you really want to inflict that on the poor beast? How long are you planning to stay here - if it is a long time, then it is worth the risk. Animals suffer from relocation stress - not all survive.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

can only answer a couple of your questions

Rent - very few if any apartments will be monthly. At best you'll get to hand over 3 cheques at the start to be cashed during the year.

Visa - your girlfriend will have to find a company out here willing to sponsor her for a visa. Strictly speaking you are not allowed to cohabit but it happens a lot. Just dont piss off your neighbours in case they decide to report you.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Rent - very few if any apartments will be monthly. At best you'll get to hand over 3 cheques at the start to be cashed during the year.
Some villa-shares will let you pay monthly... Some expat property owners, too. But hard to find!!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond reputePaidtoplease has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Welcome Veedub...

Re location, do you know where you will be working ??? as this will help answer the property bit.

But you will either need to pay property in one cheque or sometimes they will accept 3 or 4 really depends but the only way I know of being able to pay monthly is to get a bank load and pay housing in full and then instalments to bank, unfortunatly you will not be able to get a bank loan until you have been here a period of time (unsure how long, perhaps 6 months ???)

Food Bill 1500 should be okay, again depends how much eating out etc

3k car rental, I pay 2200 for a small car, including all insurance and breakdown etc make sure you have an international driving licence

Don't think you can sponsor you partner as not married she will either need to get sponsership from a company or do the run to Oman to renew visit visa

Medical you should get from your company make sure complete cover both doctor visit and hospital inpatients, unsure of cost if you have to pay yourself.

I am sure others will add to this info but please let us know where you will be working (location)
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Food bills - how long is a piece of string? If you don't mind going to the fruit & veg markets, shopping at the fish & meat souks and eating at the "local" cafes, you can eat for next to nothing here (30dH a day for 2 people will fill your bellies plenty).

If you choose to buy imported foods from Spinneys & Choitrams, then you will be spending Sainsbury/Tesco type prices - so could be a few hundred dirhams a week.

Cut your cloth accordingly!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Food bills - how long is a piece of string? If you don't mind going to the fruit & veg markets, shopping at the fish & meat souks and eating at the "local" cafes, you can eat for next to nothing here (30dH a day for 2 people will fill your bellies plenty).

If you choose to buy imported foods from Spinneys & Choitrams, then you will be spending Sainsbury/Tesco type prices - so could be a few hundred dirhams a week.

Cut your cloth accordingly!
just eat at Ravi's.
18 dirhams and completely stuffed
Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:17 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

just eat at Ravi's.
18 dirhams and completely stuffed
it's the snot from the cook that is extra filling...
Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MataHari
it's the snot from the cook that is extra filling...
and highly nutritious
Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:20 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

and highly nutritious
plus it slides in very easy with minimum chewing effort...
Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MataHari
plus it slides in very easy with minimum chewing effort...
some people like mucousy, viscous matter sliding down their throats.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:23 pm
hmmmm...nice

true...but to pay for it is another matter
Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

you mean oysters!
Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

you mean oysters!
Naturally that is what I had in mind. Or escargot. Why MH would object to paying is beyond me - I can only imagine she has a coterie of admirers who pick up the tab for her.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Naturally that is what I had in mind. Or escargot. Why MH would object to paying is beyond me - I can only imagine she has a coterie of admirers who pick up the tab for her.
I do believe you are on the waiting list for that very honour!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.