British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Help Please! Riyadh (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/help-please-riyadh-618973/)

loutom123 Jul 8th 2009 12:49 pm

Help Please! Riyadh

Hi everyone

My fiance and I are looking for work and I've been offered a job in Riyadh. I need to know a few things so if anyone can help I'd be most grateful)!

1. Do people reside together without being married?
2. It sounds like the cost of living is cheap. The company I may go to work with will provide me with house, car, flights...but what would people generally spend on groceries, phone, internet, public transport (my fiance doesn't drive) and other general cost of living. We don't have kids.
3. What is the dress code for men and women?
4. What sort of social life is there? Restaurants, cinema, parks etc...no boozing so what do people do?
5. Is it enjoyable?

Thanks in advance for your help.

hoofie2002 Jul 8th 2009 1:02 pm

Re: Help Please! Riyadh

Originally Posted by loutom123 (Post 7734162)
Hi everyone

My fiance and I are looking for work and I've been offered a job in Riyadh. I need to know a few things so if anyone can help I'd be most grateful)!

2. It sounds like the cost of living is cheap. The company I may go to work with will provide me with house, car, flights...but what would people generally spend on groceries, phone, internet, public transport (my fiance doesn't drive) and other general cost of living. We don't have kids.
4. What sort of social life is there? Restaurants, cinema, parks etc...no boozing so what do people do?
5. Is it enjoyable?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sorry but to be blunt you have no idea of Saudi do you ? Your fiance CANNOT go to Saudi; she will not be issued with a visa unless you are married and your employer sponsors her for a visa OR she is a nurse or similar and gets a job off her own back. Even then living together without at least a local marriage certificate is asking for serious trouble.

If she doesn't meet the above criteria then you will be on your own.

p.s. There are no cinemas or parks either [a park is of limited use when its 55 degrees outside] to speak of. Riyadh is a very restrictive place as it is the capital. Anything that smacks of being enjoyable is banned.

p.p.s. If you can look at it as a chance to make some good tax-free money and can put up with it them research it more. Oh and you can get pissed there; you just need to make your own booze, find a supplier or go to the embassies all the time.

Euc- Jul 8th 2009 1:05 pm

Not living in Saudi, but I think I can answer your questions. I do think you should do WAY more preparation, because if you have to ask these questions..

Originally Posted by loutom123 (Post 7734162)

Seeing that your fiancé wouldn't even be able to enter the country, no.

Take a look at The Ultimate Guide to Saudi Life

See 2.

See 3.

5. Is it enjoyable?

I think this depends on you, but don't really think people "enjoy" living in Saudi-Arabia as westerners. Its amazing to save a lot of money cause you don't have anything to spend it on.

Bob Jul 8th 2009 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Euc- (Post 7734196)
Not living in Saudi, but I think I can answer your questions. I do think you should do WAY more preparation, because if you have to ask these questions..

You do spend a fair chunk on holidays getting away it seems though :D

And to the OP, welcome to BE, but seriously, take a look at the wiki and past threads, there's plenty of info that looks like it'll be a eye opener for you.

edinburger Jul 8th 2009 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Euc- (Post 7734196)

"I think this depends on you, but don't really think people "enjoy" living in Saudi-Arabia as westerners. Its amazing to save a lot of money cause you don't have anything to spend it on."

Have to disagree with you there. Been here for 2 months so far and I really enjoy life here!

kellieb Jul 9th 2009 4:02 am

I am a female going back to Riyadh for the second time - and I loved every minute of it.