Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Help needed- rental nightmare :(

Help needed- rental nightmare :(

Old Jan 19th 2010, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help needed- rental nightmare :(

Originally Posted by admon
gees is this Mrs Haps or Busybee reincarnated...

I can see how you appeal to the human side.
excuse me.....! what is that meant to mean?.... definately not me and not something i would do, slander... take it back
Old Jan 19th 2010, 7:41 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

ahhh... yes, the Epsom Salts in the kettle trick. I did that at uni once. It only took about 5 mins to kick in (it was half the pack after all) and the poor chap was in the communal toilet block for hours... happy days.

The day you leave, try to make sure they're all out and just go around turning off the water heaters, turning off the water at the stop-cock if there is one and trip the fuses in the fuse box. If they're clued up, it'll take them an hour or so to find out what's happened... if they're not, they could be in darkness until they call out a technician!
Old Jan 19th 2010, 10:23 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

it's a world gone mad...I really don't get the whole revenge thing
Old Jan 19th 2010, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
it's a world gone mad...I really don't get the whole revenge thing
I agree, but it's the last resort for someone who feels genuine justice has been denied them.

On a slightly more dramatic scale, it's why I oppose the death penalty - if I kill you, that's bad, but if the state then kills me, that's justice?

No - it's revenge..................
Old Jan 19th 2010, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

TheDreamer is on a distinguished road

Threatening to Talk to her landlord is still your best option - she won't have the balls (not literally) not to pay you.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 10:06 am
Just Joined

DubaiPete has a brilliant futureDubaiPete has a brilliant futureDubaiPete has a brilliant futureDubaiPete has a brilliant futureDubaiPete has a brilliant futureDubaiPete has a brilliant futureDubaiPete has a brilliant future

Like the prawns idea........but, tuna is far easier!!

Whack it up in the Air Con ducts, pop open the ceiling tiles and dump a load up there, and, the best, unscrew the plug socket and fill it up [might be a good idea to trip the fuses first!!!]

Tuna has a far wider radius, for a fraction of the cost!

Good luck on whatever you do to them!
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

specialk83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey everyone,

Update on what happened:

The last week or two of living there was pretty awful- had really annoying incidents like my washing being taken out of the washing machine and dumped on my bed, had to listen to screaming guests at 3/4am when I had work the next day. It was a nightmare! I my feelings to myself though since I had 12K riding on me keeping my mouth shut.

On the 30th of Jan, I had an email off the landlord sister asking me how much she owed me and when I was leaving. She knew the answers to both of these questions though as we have been through it many times! I am paid up til the 6th of Feb although secretly I intended to be out on the 1st when my new tenancy begins. I wasn't going to give her the satisfaction of thinking she can get me out ahead of time and move someone in so she can effectively claim double rent! Anyway, I replied with the same response: 12K and the 6th of Feb. MAYBE sooner. She came back and told me the new girl gets booted out on the 31st and that the new girl will have to sleep on the sofa until I move. I came back with a deal- if she gives me my full amount I will leave on the 1st. She agreed.

On the 31st I had the money in my account (minus 200dhs for non existent bills for which she could never provide evidence of..and the place is supposed to be bills included!) but for the sake of 200dhs I let it go. I packed up my stuff yesterday and lifted all of their booze on the way out to the value of 200dhs.

I handed back the keys to the horrible sister (not the landlord one) and gave her a few home truths. Nothing with raised voices, just more of a "you're completely pathetic" kind of thing. Left the flat safe in the knowledge that I had moved out, got (most) of the money back and have plenty of booze to see me through Feb!!!

I hope everyone considers my story when renting out here. I have moved into a month by month flat and I pay the landlord directly when he comes to collect the rent at the start of the month. Much more convenient and no-one in the house is the "main tenant". We are all equal. With rents coming down so much here you can afford to be a bit chooiser when it comes to selecting the people you live with!

Thanks for all your comments
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 12:30 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

glad you got it all sorted!! love how you nicked the booze
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Well done.
Patience is a virtue (one I unfortunately don't posses).
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

TheDreamer is on a distinguished road

I knew all along they wouldn't dare not pay you - never listen to those negative chickens who wouldn't stand up for their rights, this is specially to the person who called me a "dreamer", I am The Dreamer and not a dreamer and I dream big!!

The moral of the story is fight for your rights even if you think you have a slim chance of winning but in this case you had a big chance of winning, which did happen and not only that, you even had a bonus on top ... some booze at half price .. enjoy
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Well done = I wonder when they will discover their "beverages" are missing!