Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Help needed- rental nightmare :(

Help needed- rental nightmare :(

Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help needed- rental nightmare :(

Originally Posted by lionheart
Did you honestly think that such a long description of emotional feuding and general bitchiness was written by a male? No way.
I thought it was a woman... A man would just move out.

(after wanking on all of their beds of course)
Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:00 am
Just Joined

specialk83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
I thought it was a woman... A man would just move out.

(after wanking on all of their beds of course)

Haha!

However I think if you're owed a load of cash that's yours I think you'd stay- regardless if you're male or female!
Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
Stash some prawns around the flat and tell her.

Or accept that you made a mistake and move on. personally, I like to cause trouble...
I'm with you here- I once rubbed hot chillie powder into the trouser crutch of an ex's best uniform trousers. he next wore them on the parade ground

The prawn option appeals - saw it in a film once.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by specialk83
Hi,

No I am female! I wondered about the bit where someone said living with other women was illegal!

No her sister lives there rent free- I think my rent and the other girl's rent covered her sister's rent. They did replace the girl that left with someone else who moved in on the 1st of Jan but I've not really seen her (I think she is out with a boyfriend quite a bit and I don't know her at all)

I don't want to aggrevate her any further for fear of losing money BUT OMG I would absolutely love to do some of the things Roadking suggests (especially the lipstick idea!!!)....I don't think I am being unreasonable keeping my door locked unless I get notice of a viewing- then I am happy to come back and unlock it!

From what I have gathered from various people, my contract with her is worthless. OK,but she has subletted illegally...and has obtained my cash fraudulently! I really need to seek proper advice over this as surely, this is wrong. (however it IS the UAE so probs absolutely b*gger all I can do)
No her sister lives there rent free- I think my rent and the other girl's rent covered her sister's rent

Ahhhhh................ sorry to rub it in, but that reduces somewhat my sympathy for you - that was very silly of you (why should you pay more than a quarter of the rent when four people are sharing??). I assume you knew that before you moved in?

I think it's down to combining Roadking's and Millhouse's advice.... wank all over their prawns, or whatever it was............
Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:16 am
Just Joined

specialk83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Dean
No her sister lives there rent free- I think my rent and the other girl's rent covered her sister's rent

Ahhhhh................ sorry to rub it in, but that reduces somewhat my sympathy for you - that was very silly of you (why should you pay more than a quarter of the rent when four people are sharing??). I assume you knew that before you moved in?

I think it's down to combining Roadking's and Millhouse's advice.... wank all over their prawns, or whatever it was............
Well it was fine to be honest, I didn't mind as the room was pretty good value for what I had and the location etc... comparative places were much more expensive! I'm not entirely sure how the sister didn't pay rent, I am only assuming that the "landlord" was covering both of them.

Yeah, a combination of the advice is imminent...might have to enlist some help for the w*nking part though...
Old Jan 13th 2010, 2:58 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

you mentioned she's subletting illegally... so there's actually another landlord lurking about. I wonder if he gave her permission to sublet?

The problem is, if you start wondering out loud about that in her presence, then it could either scare her into giving back some money (Ok, this is called blackmail) or she could just ignore you, knowing that although she is in the wrong, in the eyes of the law, so are you and so the contract that you have together is doubly unenforcable.

Or you could tell her that you are going to speak to RERA about it and that you hope all her actions have been legal, for her sake. Again, a huge bluff to play, cos in fact, going to RERA about it could land you in more trouble than it's worth.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Much as all this is a bit 'corry. You have lost the money, accept it. Dh12,000 is not much, and its gone.

You have one chance to get some of it back, threaten to go to the police/landlord, and report her for illegal subletting. There are three possible outcomes - you loose your money and she throws a pink fit; two she gives you your money back and throws a pink fit; three, the police turn up, arrest her, (possibly you too) and she gets deported (possibly you too).

Weigh up your chances of being deported, and figure out your course of action.

Your future is in your hands.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Prawns behind/under the fridge, inside the curtains (split the seam open at the bottom, and stuff them between the fabric and the lining.

How much time have you got? Switch the hot and cold inlet hoses for the washing machine.

I assume their toothbrushes are still in the bathroom? Perhaps the toilet needs a bit of scrubbing. Do let them know about that after you've moved out- text: notice how clean the toilet bowl is? Oh by the way, it's time to change your toothbrush. Actually no don't text anything.

And next to the toilets, there's a stopcock where you can stop the cistern from refilling. Do that just before you leave, and let them sort it out. Oh and switch the fridge off at the wall too, they'll have to empty it, clean it and refill it.

Pour milk all over the carpets, where it won't show. But it will stink for ever.

Squeeze some super glue into their locks, and some vaseline into yours to protect it from superglue.

And of course once you're clear, you can let the authorities know the're subletting.

How strong are you? Coz you can snap off the key when it's in the lock- the lock to the front door. That will cost them a locksmith's call-out fee. That's any key, it doesn't have to be the one they'll want back from you. If it's a Yale lock, or Union, or whatever, use a similar make. You need a very sharp blow to the part sticking out.

Last edited by seven seas; Jan 15th 2010 at 5:38 am.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Is anyone else worried about my previous response?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

TheDreamer is on a distinguished road

Do not leave without getting your money first:

1- Don't do anything childish like some adults suggested here!!
2- Don't pay her any more money and stay put until she pays back your deposit.
3- Seek free legal advice.
4- Threaten her that you will file against her
5- Find out who the real landlord is and then tell her you will complain to him about her as well as to the small claim court.
6- Stick to your guns solidly and you will find out that she will give in and return your money eventually.

Last but not least when you get your money back contact me and we'll go on a date together and spend the money

Good luck and please, please do not leave the place without getting your money first. Shame that I don't live in Dubai otherwise I would come over and get the money for you (seriously).

Last edited by TheDreamer; Jan 15th 2010 at 8:26 am. Reason: Correction!
Old Jan 15th 2010, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by seven seas
Not worried, just wont be approaching you to share apartments any time soon! Some good ideas in there though. My mate had a major fall out with a friend of his back home over a girl - no, Im not using the old "my mate" line to dodge admitting it was me - and decided to go round his house weekly and deposit dog excreta under the door handles of the car. Disgusting for sure but he found it hilarious!
Old Jan 15th 2010, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud ofBigtaff has much to be proud of

Are these sisters you share with British?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 7:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheDreamer
Do not leave without getting your money first:

1- Don't do anything childish like some adults suggested here!!
2- Don't pay her any more money and stay put until she pays back your deposit.
3- Seek free legal advice.
4- Threaten her that you will file against her
5- Find out who the real landlord is and then tell her you will complain to him about her as well as to the small claim court.
6- Stick to your guns solidly and you will find out that she will give in and return your money eventually.

Last but not least when you get your money back contact me and we'll go on date together and spend the money

Good luck and please, please do not leave the place without getting your money first. Shame that I don't live in Dubai otherwise I would come over and get the money for you (seriously).
I think she's already established that this route - the 'sensible approach' - isn't going to get her anywhere.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 8:29 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas
no, I think it's pretty thorough!

I shared student digs with 5 other young women - 4 of which never did any cleaning. One did, however, decide to start vacuuming and playing loud music at 2h, so I tripped the upstairs fuses. It was mildly amusing, considering her room was in the loft and she had no idea where the fuse-box was.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

TheDreamer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by The Dean
I think she's already established that this route - the 'sensible approach' - isn't going to get her anywhere.
The "insensible approach" will not help her cause either and may even create more problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.