Reload this Page >

Help needed- rental nightmare :(

Help needed- rental nightmare :(

Old Jan 13th 2010, 7:18 am
Just Joined

specialk83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help needed- rental nightmare :(

Hi everybody-

New to this forum! Feel a bit rubbish just joining and asking advice but I promise to be a regular contributor! Have been lurking for a while before taking the plunge and joining

I wonder if anyone can help me regarding an issue I am having at the moment
with my flat....

I am fairly new in Dubai, only arrived here 8 months ago. I didn't know anyone and decided to move in to a flat with 2 sisters and another girl. One of the sisters had the flat in her name and the rest of us were effectively subletting off her. She required a month's rent as a deposit and since the rent was paid quarterley, 3 months rent money upfront (which my company gave me to be deducted from my salary at monthly installments. My company gave me a year's worth of quarterley cheques and I paid each one into her account. The last one went in on the 31st of Dec and paid me up until the 31st March. She drew up a contract between us which said although I paid up front, either party could give one month's notice and have money returned.

Over the past month or so, things have soured quite considerably between myself and the 2 sisters- the 4th housemate left in early Dec as she was finding living with the pair of them a complete nightmare- screaming and shouting until 3/4 in the morning, weird behaviour etc etc. I don't want to go into it too much but over Christmas I made a conscious decision to move out and quickly found somewhere that starts on the 1st of Feb.

On the 1st of Jan, I gave her my month's notice and it didn't go down too well. Well, she was fine about me moving (albeit a little pettiness re: removing my toiletries from a shared bathroom immediately or I would find them wet, on my bed..) but I didn't take the bait. However, her sister was livid and sent me a few arsey texts. I discovered that her sister had been into my facebook and emails and had read private mails from me to my friends back home saying how I wasn't happy living there, that the two of them were nightmares etc etc. All hell broke loose- I was massively p*ssed off but couldn't do too much about it since one of them has 12,000dhs belonging to me (with a 4,000 deposit). I received a barrage of abuse off both of them and it all involved threatening me with losing my money.

I have until the 31st to live there. I said to the "landlord" sister that we should try to get on for the remainder of my tenancy and be civil but she "cannot" promise that her and her sister will be. I then decided to lie low for the next couple of weeks and stay at a friend's house during the week- I am fine dealing with them at weekends but can't stand the thought of living in that sort of environment during the week when I have been at work all day (one of the sisters does not work and is probably spoiling for a fight). I locked my bedroom door (for fear of having my personal belongings rummaged through once again) and was asked late afternoon yesterday to leave it unlocked for a viewing at 6pm. I knew I wouldn't be home in time so emailed back saying that I wouldn't be around and I was happy to unlock the room for viewings provided I have 24hrs notice.

This went down like a lead balloon and the upshot is that in future, if my room isn't left permanently left unlocked, she will force it open and I will lose my deposit if she doesn't fill it as according to the law, she doesn't owe me s*it and who can stop her opening the doors to her own flat? I told her I was fine opening it for her viewings, I just require notice. She told me that I'm going to lose my cash anyway cos I owe my company and it's nothing to do with her so ha ha....

I went back this morning and unlocked it but feel a bit "why should I?" but I think she's going to take all my cash anyway. Can she actually do this and where do I stand? With my deposit, surely she can just make stuff up and take it? What's to stop her keeping it?

Would really appreciate the advice because I'm really unsure what my position is....
Old Jan 13th 2010, 7:30 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help needed- rental nightmare :(

Originally Posted by specialk83
Hi everybody-

New to this forum! Feel a bit rubbish just joining and asking advice but I promise to be a regular contributor! Have been lurking for a while before taking the plunge and joining

with my flat....

I am fairly new in Dubai, only arrived here 8 months ago. I didn't know anyone and decided to move in to a flat with 2 sisters and another girl. One of the sisters had the flat in her name and the rest of us were effectively subletting off her. She required a month's rent as a deposit and since the rent was paid quarterley, 3 months rent money upfront (which my company gave me to be deducted from my salary at monthly installments. My company gave me a year's worth of quarterley cheques and I paid each one into her account. The last one went in on the 31st of Dec and paid me up until the 31st March. She drew up a contract between us which said although I paid up front, either party could give one month's notice and have money returned.

Over the past month or so, things have soured quite considerably between myself and the 2 sisters- the 4th housemate left in early Dec as she was finding living with the pair of them a complete nightmare- screaming and shouting until 3/4 in the morning, weird behaviour etc etc. I don't want to go into it too much but over Christmas I made a conscious decision to move out and quickly found somewhere that starts on the 1st of Feb.

On the 1st of Jan, I gave her my month's notice and it didn't go down too well. Well, she was fine about me moving (albeit a little pettiness re: removing my toiletries from a shared bathroom immediately or I would find them wet, on my bed..) but I didn't take the bait. However, her sister was livid and sent me a few arsey texts. I discovered that her sister had been into my facebook and emails and had read private mails from me to my friends back home saying how I wasn't happy living there, that the two of them were nightmares etc etc. All hell broke loose- I was massively p*ssed off but couldn't do too much about it since one of them has 12,000dhs belonging to me (with a 4,000 deposit). I received a barrage of abuse off both of them and it all involved threatening me with losing my money.

I have until the 31st to live there. I said to the "landlord" sister that we should try to get on for the remainder of my tenancy and be civil but she "cannot" promise that her and her sister will be. I then decided to lie low for the next couple of weeks and stay at a friend's house during the week- I am fine dealing with them at weekends but can't stand the thought of living in that sort of environment during the week when I have been at work all day (one of the sisters does not work and is probably spoiling for a fight). I locked my bedroom door (for fear of having my personal belongings rummaged through once again) and was asked late afternoon yesterday to leave it unlocked for a viewing at 6pm. I knew I wouldn't be home in time so emailed back saying that I wouldn't be around and I was happy to unlock the room for viewings provided I have 24hrs notice.

This went down like a lead balloon and the upshot is that in future, if my room isn't left permanently left unlocked, she will force it open and I will lose my deposit if she doesn't fill it as according to the law, she doesn't owe me s*it and who can stop her opening the doors to her own flat? I told her I was fine opening it for her viewings, I just require notice. She told me that I'm going to lose my cash anyway cos I owe my company and it's nothing to do with her so ha ha....

I went back this morning and unlocked it but feel a bit "why should I?" but I think she's going to take all my cash anyway. Can she actually do this and where do I stand? With my deposit, surely she can just make stuff up and take it? What's to stop her keeping it?

Would really appreciate the advice because I'm really unsure what my position is....
How about emptying the room of your personal belongings and moving them to your mates place? Then, when you want to stay over at the flat, you take an overnight bag with you..

As far as the 'contract', AFAIK it ain't worth the paper its written on. I'd start preparing to kiss that money goodbye...
Old Jan 13th 2010, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everybody-

with my flat....

Your rental agreement with her in reality stands for nothing and in actuality what you have is an agreement with her made 'in good faith'.

I've lived in similar situations and it's worked out well.....but you need to have decent people doing the right thing.
Sounds like you don't have that.

Best you can do is avoid any arguments and hope she will be fair about things at the end of it.

2 Facts:
Females are the worst landlords.
Multiple females are the worst to live with.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 7:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
How about emptying the room of your personal belongings and moving them to your mates place? Then, when you want to stay over at the flat, you take an overnight bag with you..

As far as the 'contract', AFAIK it ain't worth the paper its written on. I'd start preparing to kiss that money goodbye...
Hi,

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I guess I could move my personal stuff and leave it just for overnight stays. I was only leaving stuff for a few reasons- firstly I'm paid up so why shouldn't I leave my stuff in MY room and secondly, I want her to take out the cash on my day of leaving and THEN I will move my stuff. I thought as much regarding the contract to be honest- I doubt I really have any choice if she decides to keep it all although really she has obtained money fraudulently if that's the case...

Never again!
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:11 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

If you're actually co-habiting with women you're not related or married to you're actually breaking the law anyway so there's not a chance in hell of getting any sort of recognition of the contract you have with her.

Only ever share with people you know well or who come referred from people you know well. I've heard stories like this before and there's not a lot you can do but leave and expect to get nothing back.

Aren't studio and small one bedroom flats really cheap in most areas of Dubai now? Why would anyone want to rent a room with prices the way they are?

N.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Aren't studio and small one bedroom flats really cheap in most areas of Dubai now? Why would anyone want to rent a room with prices the way they are?

N.
Some people prefer to share with others rather than live alone.
Some people might like to maximise their savings (regardless of how 'cheap' rent is now and in real world terms it's still a rip-off).

If I was single i'd prefer to be sharing than coming home to an empty studio / 1 bed.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:21 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeeper
Some people prefer to share with others rather than live alone.
Some people might like to maximise their savings (regardless of how 'cheap' rent is now and in real world terms it's still a rip-off).

If I was single i'd prefer to be sharing than coming home to an empty studio / 1 bed.
...specially with 2/3 hot women!

Until it all goes bad.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, sorry this is happening to you.

Secondly as you are going to be packing up anyway, can you simply pack up and lock your things in locakble suitcases/locker box ready for the move, except for your essentials for the next three weeks? That way your stuff is secure and they can still have access to show your room.

Lastly, although it is a bitter pill to swallow, put your happiness and future first and leave early? Something similar happened to me years ago (my new housemates got into trouble with the police). I moved out immediately and lost my money. but at least I was relaxed and not stressed when at home. That is what really matters.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:01 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all your responses...

Well I'm 26 and didn't know anyone in Dubai so felt moving in with some likeminded people (so I thought) would be a good way to get to know people. I don't like living alone and even with new prices I can't really afford to go it alone...however, I do appreciate the comments and trust me, I won't be paying a load of rent upfront again on a sublet! My new place is month by month and only a 1,000 deposit.

As for leaving early- I have suggested to her that she pays me when I'm due and I will leave immediately (I would lose out on 3 weeks rent but I don't mind) and she refuses- I think she likes holding me over the barrel on cash. I would love to just leave and screw it but 12,000dhs is a lot to me and I can't afford to lose it. Also, I would leave and she'd get someone in immediately and yet yet more cash pro rata I imagine...
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:40 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your responses...

Well I'm 26 and didn't know anyone in Dubai so felt moving in with some likeminded people (so I thought) would be a good way to get to know people. I don't like living alone and even with new prices I can't really afford to go it alone...however, I do appreciate the comments and trust me, I won't be paying a load of rent upfront again on a sublet! My new place is month by month and only a 1,000 deposit.

As for leaving early- I have suggested to her that she pays me when I'm due and I will leave immediately (I would lose out on 3 weeks rent but I don't mind) and she refuses- I think she likes holding me over the barrel on cash. I would love to just leave and screw it but 12,000dhs is a lot to me and I can't afford to lose it. Also, I would leave and she'd get someone in immediately and yet yet more cash pro rata I imagine...
Stash some prawns around the flat and tell her. Only tell her where they are when she pays you.

Even better; leave all the toilet seats up; that really gets them mad. Or mix some colours with their whites when they do a washing.

Or break off all the lipsticks and stick 'em back in the tube so that when they try to apply, it falls on their new outfit.

Retune the telly and radio to crappy stations. Super-glue the fridge door shut. Take out the main fuse, turn off the water mains....

Or accept that you made a mistake and move on. personally, I like to cause trouble...
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm.............

Everyone is assuming specialk is male........... where does 'he' actually say that? Not that it matters, although that might be affecting the landlord's attitude somehow.

I'm also puzzled by the fact that only one sister is the landlord - surely she's not charging rent to her own sister? In other words..... are you paying more than your fair share anyway (effectively subsidising the other sister)??

Presumably the other tenant who left has not been replaced, so the landlord is out of pocket anyway (assuming she repaid the deposit etc to the one who left). She's desperate to keep your money, because she knows she can't replace that.

Stick to your guns on keeping the room locked - if she/they force it open, tell them you are informing the police (even if the contract you have with her is worthless, it might still carry some weight).

Not sure where I'm going with this reply (I know I'm rambling, sorry) but I'll give it some more thought and see what bright lights illuminate themselves.......
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:47 am
If I have to explain...

Originally Posted by The Dean
Hmmmm.............

Everyone is assuming specialk is male........... where does 'he' actually say that? Not that it matters, although that might be affecting the landlord's attitude somehow.

I'm also puzzled by the fact that only one sister is the landlord - surely she's not charging rent to her own sister? In other words..... are you paying more than your fair share anyway (effectively subsidising the other sister)??

Presumably the other tenant who left has not been replaced, so the landlord is out of pocket anyway (assuming she repaid the deposit etc to the one who left). She's desperate to keep your money, because she knows she can't replace that.

Stick to your guns on keeping the room locked - if she/they force it open, tell them you are informing the police (even if the contract you have with her is worthless, it might still carry some weight).

Not sure where I'm going with this reply (I know I'm rambling, sorry) but I'll give it some more thought and see what bright lights illuminate themselves.......
You're just spoiling the illusions....

Although...hmmmm..........
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Hmmmm.............

Everyone is assuming specialk is male..................

Are they?
I thought 'it' was a female....I think norms is the only reply that may be assuming Special K is a male.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Hmmmm.............

Hi,

No I am female! I wondered about the bit where someone said living with other women was illegal!

No her sister lives there rent free- I think my rent and the other girl's rent covered her sister's rent. They did replace the girl that left with someone else who moved in on the 1st of Jan but I've not really seen her (I think she is out with a boyfriend quite a bit and I don't know her at all)

I don't want to aggrevate her any further for fear of losing money BUT OMG I would absolutely love to do some of the things Roadking suggests (especially the lipstick idea!!!)....I don't think I am being unreasonable keeping my door locked unless I get notice of a viewing- then I am happy to come back and unlock it!

From what I have gathered from various people, my contract with her is worthless. OK,but she has subletted illegally...and has obtained my cash fraudulently! I really need to seek proper advice over this as surely, this is wrong. (however it IS the UAE so probs absolutely b*gger all I can do)
Old Jan 13th 2010, 10:14 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
If you're actually co-habiting with women you're not related or married to you're actually breaking the law anyway so there's not a chance in hell of getting any sort of recognition of the contract you have with her.
Did you honestly think that such a long description of emotional feuding and general bitchiness was written by a male? No way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.