Reload this Page >

Help - Moving to Dubai

Help - Moving to Dubai

Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

B0bbyd62 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help - Moving to Dubai

Hi Guys,

I've been offered a job in Dubai and being female I'm a bit hesitant to accept as I've never visited the UAE. Anybody have any advice to share on how it is day to day? Anything I need to be aware of?

Regards,
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - Moving to Dubai

Do a search......look at the wiki at the top of the page.......beware of Confucius
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B0bbyd62
Hi Guys,

I've been offered a job in Dubai and being female I'm a bit hesitant to accept as I've never visited the UAE. Anybody have any advice to share on how it is day to day? Anything I need to be aware of?

Regards,
Hi BobbyD,

Congrats on the job offer; welcome to the site....

There are loads of single expat females working in Dubai - it's really no big issue.

What is important is whether you would like the country (it works for some people, not for others) - and package & accomodation (your rent, if not provided by your co, will be by far your biggest expense).

As for what it's like day to day.... what kind of stuff do you like? There's a good social/nightlife scene, lots of sports stuff, beachlife etc, etc. Arts & culture scene not that great but improving.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

agree with syb...but i would have thought you need to visit to check it out for yourself before moving here, it's a very personal thing, some love dubai, some don't...nothing to do with their sex or marital status...

MM, xx
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Hi BobbyD,

Congrats on the job offer; welcome to the site....

There are loads of single expat females working in Dubai - it's really no big issue.

What is important is whether you would like the country (it works for some people, not for others) - and package & accomodation (your rent, if not provided by your co, will be by far your biggest expense).

As for what it's like day to day.... what kind of stuff do you like? There's a good social/nightlife scene, lots of sports stuff, beachlife etc, etc. Arts & culture scene not that great but improving.
Down boy!!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

shakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond reputeshakh your bootie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
Down boy!!
Just bein' neighbourly, like......

.... didn't even ask for dimensions, age and experience....
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

B0bbyd62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
agree with syb...but i would have thought you need to visit to check it out for yourself before moving here, it's a very personal thing, some love dubai, some don't...nothing to do with their sex or marital status...

MM, xx
Thanks for the response.
I'm pretty used to arriving somewhere and just getting on with the job, as I've done it in a number of countries, just not in this area. My concerns are from a cultural aspect, and around practical issues such as living somewhere secure etc. I see that the greens comes up quite often, is this a good basis to go on?
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B0bbyd62
Thanks for the response.
I'm pretty used to arriving somewhere and just getting on with the job, as I've done it in a number of countries, just not in this area. My concerns are from a cultural aspect, and around practical issues such as living somewhere secure etc. I see that the greens comes up quite often, is this a good basis to go on?
but isn't that exactly what you need to see for yourself...?

anyway, it's safe, fun and loads to do here...accomodation will depend on budget and where you are working...

MM, xx
Old Apr 9th 2008, 3:31 pm
Account Closed

Emerald_Eyes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bobbyd,

I was pretty similar to you before I decided to take the job. I had all these preconceptions of what life was like here without having ever actually come here before. Fortunately, my company flew me over for the second interview and to be frank I wouldn't have taken the job unless they had done that. When I got here I just knew that I could live here and having actually seen where I was going to be working and who with, it really helped. If you can I would suggest you do the same.

I live in the Greens and I really love it. If you're on your own (like me) you probably want to be somewhere with a busy, friendly, safe atmosphere. I found my place through an agent called Hunter and Hunter - they have loads of flats in the Greens and the surrounding areas. Clearly where you live will depend on where you work. I decided to commute a bit longer but be nearer to my friends and the social area of Dubai.

Good luck and PM me if you have any questions.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 3:33 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

ohhhhhh...to be a single female in Dubai....
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MataHari
well I like it!!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:09 pm
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned
well I like it!!
so would I...lol
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:14 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
it was a great time
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie
Hi BobbyD,

There are loads of single expat females working in Dubai -

I'm sold!