British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Help! Move to Abu D- Job offer received-time to decide if it’s a good offer! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/help-move-abu-d-job-offer-received-time-decide-if-%E2%80%99s-good-offer-914131/)

Paul Davies in Spain Jun 24th 2018 6:13 am

Re: Help! Move to Abu D- Job offer received-time to decide if it’s a good offer!

Think your comment at 22k is bang on , my comment of 'Doable' was about the travel, Not sure how big this family is but like i said 30k in Al Ain would be a min to survive (only)

The comment of the potential boss is a bit typical, the issue though when your employee realises after 6 months hes here for nothing and 'he does one' there's a load of cash wasted by the company let alone starting again to replace

That brings another point of course, the penalties for visas and travel reimbursement of you bail out !!!!

Rebecca, Suggest you check this in the contract if you do decide to go, it may save you a lot if heartache later if it didn't work out and home again was the option

PD

Bluelionesse Jun 24th 2018 7:42 am

Re: Help! Move to Abu D- Job offer received-time to decide if it’s a good offer!

If you have cash to bring out with you for housing, schools, a second hand car, set up etc then it is doable. That being said, you won't save much.

Rents are falling and you should be able to get a good 2 bed flat for 45-50k. Have a look on ADCP website - they take 3 cheques in payment which spreads the cost.

there are a multitude of fb pages advertising furniture for sale so you can furnish quite cheaply.

Whatever you do, don't get into debt here. You might like to google why.

good luck!

Bluelionesse Jun 24th 2018 8:03 am

One further point. Different nationalities/cultures have different spending and saving priorities. I believe the recruiter, if from say India or the Levant, when he says he can save a lot.

if you want I can put you in touch with a sports scientist in Abu Dhabi - pm me.

reddiva Jun 24th 2018 8:22 am

I will give you the breakdown for my costs in Dubai ( 1 person) I earn slightly more than that by myself however get monthly commissions, annual bonus and have no kids

Rent 1 bed AED7000 ( You will get a 2 bed in Al Ain for that)
Uilities AED550 ( Includes housing but i do not pay district cooling as many do)
Internet and TV AED500 ( i have a low TV package as i ahem use a firestick etc
Mobile phone AED100 ( Purely for whats app and FB etc no calls
Food AED1500 per month ( I use carefour, cook alot and eat well)
Petrol and Salik AED500 per month

Now AED10,000 has gone before i even start on hairdressers, mani pedi, going out, car insurance and registration ( I own my car outright) travel, holidays, incidentals and then savings. I am not out all the time maybe a couple times a month however when i go out i can easily spend up to AED700 per night ( drinking and eating out is not cheap here)
You have to factor in 2 cars, more petrol, schooling, uniforms and other things the school want you have, food for 1 and half more people, going out, staycations etc
The offer is not liveable and companies may tell you that so you accept. It is far too low and you will not have a half decent life

Rebecca123 Jun 25th 2018 8:47 pm

Thank you everyone for all of your advice and help regarding this.

After much thought and number crunching we have decided as a family that the move will not benefit us and if anything we could end up out of pocket.

We wanted it to be a positive move for our family and an experience our daughter would love and enjoy. My husband is gutted as he really wanted it to happen and for it to work, but reality is unless I get a job the minute I step foot in the country and they up his wage and benefits it’s not going I work.

Thank you again for taking the time out to share your thoughts!

X

jam25mack Jun 26th 2018 5:41 am

Originally Posted by Rebecca123 (Post 12522438)
Thank you everyone for all of your advice and help regarding this.

After much thought and number crunching we have decided as a family that the move will not benefit us and if anything we could end up out of pocket.

We wanted it to be a positive move for our family and an experience our daughter would love and enjoy. My husband is gutted as he really wanted it to happen and for it to work, but reality is unless I get a job the minute I step foot in the country and they up his wage and benefits it’s not going I work.

Thank you again for taking the time out to share your thoughts!

X

Good well thought out and the correct decision!

Tockalosh Jun 27th 2018 2:58 pm

Thank goodness you came and sought some thoughts on your offer. That was a shocking offer

Brains1983 Jun 29th 2018 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 12523315)
Thank goodness you came and sought some thoughts on your offer. That was a shocking offer

I was earning a fraction over that when I loved out with the wife (no kids then mind). we lived well, but didn't save anything. whilst it was no doubt a little cheaper back then, there is no way we could have done it on that package with a kid!

carcajou Jun 29th 2018 12:43 pm

While I concur that Al Ain has a reputation for being nice, If the housing has to come out of the 22,000 AED - then this offer was way too low for a family. By the time you take out housing and school fees this will be a real struggle.

Somewhat different context if it's 22,000 AED with housing on top, but still probably difficult.

I think you would struggle to find work as a swim teacher. Why is someone going to pay you a Western-standard wage when they can pay a swim instructor of a different nationality, a much, much lower fee? Qualifications for that sort of role do not matter in the UAE.

Correct decision to pass, in my view.

For future reference - you are not actually "hired" in the UAE until they send you the plane ticket, regardless of whether you sign the contract. Never quit your job in the West until you've been sent a plane ticket. Keep your employer informed so nothing is a surprise, but don't quit your job until then.