Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Help! Move to Abu D- Job offer received-time to decide if it’s a good offer!

Help! Move to Abu D- Job offer received-time to decide if it’s a good offer!

Old Jun 20th 2018, 7:28 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 7
Rebecca123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! Move to Abu D- Job offer received-time to decide if it’s a good offer!

I was hoping someone could give some advice- my husband has received a job offer finally after 6 months and now we need to decide if it’s really worth it and could potentially work! I think like most people he wants to take the job as it’s an experience but also the benifits to potentially save some money- but I’m starting to think If it’s even possible after many reads on posts (other than having an experience out of it).

He will be the main main worker, (job sports scientist) with the view that I would eventually find something (I’m a swim teacher) but that’s a question of how longs a piece of string. The plan is he would move for his probabtion and then myself and our daughter who is 5 would follow on once his completed that probabtion time.

The job job will be based in Al Ain which we are aware is quiter and cheaper rental.

The job job package is monthly 22,000Aed which includes basic, housing allowance and supplements.

In addition health insurance for the family, return tickets Home annually for all and 10,000Aed per year towards education for our daughter, as well as relocation tickets for us all there and back!

We are waiting for some answer back regarding shipping (if any), accommodation on arrival!

Is this sum even livable there? Do people have experience of Al Ain?

Im very much up for an experience with my family but I don’t want to go and struggle in a place we barely know!

Thanks in advance people 🙃
Rebecca123 is offline  
Old Jun 20th 2018, 9:06 pm
  #2  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Zakher, Al Ain
Posts: 425
Bluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really niceBluelionesse is just really nice
Default Re: Help! Move to Abu D- Job offer received-time to decide if it’s a good offer!

Al ain is a lovely place to bring up a family. Good schools - your allowance wont cover all the cost - plenty of activities and friends for them

we lived there for 6 years from 2009 and my friends with young families adored it!
Bluelionesse is offline  
Old Jun 21st 2018, 4:54 am
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2018
Location: Dubai
Posts: 376
reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Move to Abu D- Job offer received-time to decide if it’s a good offer!

Originally Posted by Rebecca123 View Post
I was hoping someone could give some advice- my husband has received a job offer finally after 6 months and now we need to decide if it’s really worth it and could potentially work! I think like most people he wants to take the job as it’s an experience but also the benifits to potentially save some money- but I’m starting to think If it’s even possible after many reads on posts (other than having an experience out of it).

He will be the main main worker, (job sports scientist) with the view that I would eventually find something (I’m a swim teacher) but that’s a question of how longs a piece of string. The plan is he would move for his probabtion and then myself and our daughter who is 5 would follow on once his completed that probabtion time.

The job job will be based in Al Ain which we are aware is quiter and cheaper rental.

The job job package is monthly 22,000Aed which includes basic, housing allowance and supplements.

In addition health insurance for the family, return tickets Home annually for all and 10,000Aed per year towards education for our daughter, as well as relocation tickets for us all there and back!

We are waiting for some answer back regarding shipping (if any), accommodation on arrival!

Is this sum even livable there? Do people have experience of Al Ain?

Im very much up for an experience with my family but I don’t want to go and struggle in a place we barely know!

Thanks in advance people 🙃

Will you be working too? AED22000 for a family is low, you would need to top that up to at least a minimum of AED35000 have any form of decent life or ask for your housing paid in addition to this . AED10,000 per year for schooling is also bad as you would need to add at least AED20,000 for a decent school. You could live very frugally on his salary alone but your housing, bills, car, petrol, utilities, food will take a massive chunk out of that with little to save at the end of the month
reddiva is offline  
Old Jun 21st 2018, 5:28 am
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
Pongo's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 470
Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Move to Abu D- Job offer received-time to decide if it’s a good offer!

Are you a qualified PE teacher, or a swimming coach?
Pongo is offline  
Old Jun 21st 2018, 1:12 pm
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Posts: 547
archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Help! Move to Abu D- Job offer received-time to decide if it’s a good offer!

I also think you'd struggle on that. Al Ain housing might be cheaper, but the other costs (food, electricity) etc are the same as other cities. What sort of age is your daughter? If she is well into her education, and you are wanting to send her to a decent school, then you will pay much, much more than 10k. You might find that you are tempted to spend a lot of time at weekends travelling up and back to Dubai or Abu Dhabi - again, adding to your expenses. We've had several friends who loved living in Al Ain, but they did spend a lot of time seeking stimulation elsewhere...
At the end of the day - if you are struggling in the UK then maybe it'll be no worse, or even slightly better, but if you are comfortable where you are then I wouldn't take it unless you can get a better package.
The other consideration might also be - will working in Al Ain be a career-stopper for your husband as/when he wishes to return to the UK? Professional standards in some sectors can be a lot lower here, and would working here look good on his CV in the longer term?
archie159 is offline  
Old Jun 21st 2018, 6:22 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 7
Rebecca123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help! Move to Abu D- Job offer received-time to decide if it’s a good offer!

Originally Posted by reddiva View Post
Will you be working too? AED22000 for a family is low, you would need to top that up to at least a minimum of AED35000 have any form of decent life or ask for your housing paid in addition to this . AED10,000 per year for schooling is also bad as you would need to add at least AED20,000 for a decent school. You could live very frugally on his salary alone but your housing, bills, car, petrol, utilities, food will take a massive chunk out of that with little to save at the end of the month
Thanks for your reply, the plan would be that I would eventually work but I don’t know how easy it would be to find a job and if the pay would be any good.
From looking most swim teaching jobs are based in Dubai and main Abu Dhabi, which would mean another car as well as someone to then look after our daughter if I am working the same time as my husband.

Ive looked at schools online and can see that we would need to top that up to pay for a decent school and that’s my worry I wouldn’t want an awful education for my daughter but then if we are paying loads more out of the salary it seems like we won’t be saving anything.

Im quote amazed that we are questioning the salary as here in England to have that amount available after tax is a good wage, but I’m sensing that things are a lot more expensive.

The company have come back and said that no shipping is included and that there is no budge on the offer!

I just don’t know what is best, as I really don’t want to struggle while there, the whole point is to have an experience and enjoy the time and save a bit of cash, The thought of not having money to experience life there and no be in any better position is ludicrous thinking!
Rebecca123 is offline  
Old Jun 21st 2018, 6:23 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 7
Rebecca123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help! Move to Abu D- Job offer received-time to decide if it’s a good offer!

Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
Are you a qualified PE teacher, or a swimming coach?
I’m level 2 swimming teacher and specialise in baby and toddler!
I wish I was a PE teacher! 👎
Rebecca123 is offline  
Old Jun 21st 2018, 7:47 pm
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Location: Dubai
Posts: 522
UKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Help! Move to Abu D- Job offer received-time to decide if it’s a good offer!

Originally Posted by Rebecca123 View Post


Thanks for your reply, the plan would be that I would eventually work but I don’t know how easy it would be to find a job and if the pay would be any good.
From looking most swim teaching jobs are based in Dubai and main Abu Dhabi, which would mean another car as well as someone to then look after our daughter if I am working the same time as my husband.

Ive looked at schools online and can see that we would need to top that up to pay for a decent school and that’s my worry I wouldn’t want an awful education for my daughter but then if we are paying loads more out of the salary it seems like we won’t be saving anything.

Im quote amazed that we are questioning the salary as here in England to have that amount available after tax is a good wage, but I’m sensing that things are a lot more expensive.

The company have come back and said that no shipping is included and that there is no budge on the offer!

I just don’t know what is best, as I really don’t want to struggle while there, the whole point is to have an experience and enjoy the time and save a bit of cash, The thought of not having money to experience life there and no be in any better position is ludicrous thinking!
Echo what others have said .... it’s a low offer for a family and however you spin the figures my view is that you will be short of money and end up unhappy. If a sport scientist is a desirable occupation here then why not apply for other roles and see if he can get a better deal ? However much detail you work out the finances before you arrive you will always end up spending more. Also don’t overlook that you need a reasonable amount of cash to set yourself up with various deposits, fees and anything else you need to spend personally.
UKMS is offline  
Old Jun 21st 2018, 7:56 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 7
Rebecca123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help! Move to Abu D- Job offer received-time to decide if it’s a good offer!

Originally Posted by UKMS View Post


Echo what others have said .... it’s a low offer for a family and however you spin the figures my view is that you will be short of money and end up unhappy. If a sport scientist is a desirable occupation here then why not apply for other roles and see if he can get a better deal ? However much detail you work out the finances before you arrive you will always end up spending more. Also don’t overlook that you need a reasonable amount of cash to set yourself up with various deposits, fees and anything else you need to spend personally.
thanks for your reply, your basically saying what I’ve been thinking! To put out so much before doesn’t settle well with me!

What do people think a good minimum a month salary is? That’s going to pay most thigs let you have a little bit of a life and maybe set aside?
Rebecca123 is offline  
Old Jun 21st 2018, 8:32 pm
  #10  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Jan 2017
Location: Dubai
Posts: 522
UKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to beholdUKMS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Help! Move to Abu D- Job offer received-time to decide if it’s a good offer!

Originally Posted by Rebecca123 View Post


thanks for your reply, your basically saying what I’ve been thinking! To put out so much before doesn’t settle well with me!

What do people think a good minimum a month salary is? That’s going to pay most thigs let you have a little bit of a life and maybe set aside?
Difficult to accurately answer without knowing a little more about your expectations and lifestyle ...... if you would be leaving behind a 3 bed house it’s no good budgeting for a 1 bed flat here (choice of property will impact your monthly costs a fair bit), choice of school, what sort of car will you be happy with, what do you typically do in your spare time, hobbies, sports, eating out, socializing etc I know it sounds obvious but all of these can have a huge impact on what you spend here. What are your expectations on savings, these differ a lot from person to person ? I’m sure you get what I mean .....

UKMS is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 7:13 am
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
Pongo's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 470
Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Move to Abu D- Job offer received-time to decide if it’s a good offer!

I lived in Al Ain about 5 years ago and still visit occasionally. It is a decent place to live and work, no high rise buildings, the population is about 500,000 now I believe. Everywhere is about a 30 minute drive once you know your way around.

You MAY be able to get some sort of job with swimming, in the same school as your child would be ideal, but not guaranteed and the pay will not be a lot for the hours expected of you...think 7am-2pm minimum and very demanding parents.
School fees for a reasonable school for your child’s age are about 25,000 a year, I don’t have children but they would expect each terms fees to be paid up front. Same with rent for a house/apartment, the annual rent paid up front. A basic decent 2 bedroom apartment in Al Ain could be found for about 60,000 upwards.
After all school/house/tax/utilities/car/fuel etc etc the 22,000 will not last long. I don’t think you will save any money.
Pongo is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 9:01 am
  #12  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 4
Paul Davies in Spain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help! Move to Abu D- Job offer received-time to decide if it’s a good offer!

Hi Rebecca

I live in Dubai (24yrs) i employ many people of all different levels

To be honest the package is very low for a family i dont think you will get much change at the end of the month

The rents are expensive and school fees for a british school are not cheap (Kids any age)

My opinion is its to low also the travel expenses they offer are probably just do able for 2 adults

Al Ain is good and quiet place but you must do your research specific to your family needs

think you will struggle on less the 30k dhs as a single income

Hope that helps a bit
Paul Davies in Spain is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 10:40 am
  #13  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 7
Rebecca123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help! Move to Abu D- Job offer received-time to decide if it’s a good offer!

Originally Posted by Paul Davies in Spain View Post
Hi Rebecca

I live in Dubai (24yrs) i employ many people of all different levels

To be honest the package is very low for a family i dont think you will get much change at the end of the month

The rents are expensive and school fees for a british school are not cheap (Kids any age)

My opinion is its to low also the travel expenses they offer are probably just do able for 2 adults

Al Ain is good and quiet place but you must do your research specific to your family needs

think you will struggle on less the 30k dhs as a single income

Hope that helps a bit
Hi Paul

Thank you for your reply, im finding the whole process quite frustrating as everyone’s opinions are so different! A lot of people are echoing what you are saying but his potential boss is also saying the salary is liveable and thinks there would be a good sum left over monthly as it’s so much cheaper in Al Ain. But I expect it doesn’t matter what part you live in food and drink will be the same price a bit like here in England north or south food is the same price!

My worry is that it’s being said to get my husband there and the reality is the wage isn’t liveable and we’re be in no better position than we are here, it would just be a change of scenery 😩
Rebecca123 is offline  
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 11:21 am
  #14  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2018
Posts: 7
Rebecca123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help! Move to Abu D- Job offer received-time to decide if it’s a good offer!

Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
I lived in Al Ain about 5 years ago and still visit occasionally. It is a decent place to live and work, no high rise buildings, the population is about 500,000 now I believe. Everywhere is about a 30 minute drive once you know your way around.

You MAY be able to get some sort of job with swimming, in the same school as your child would be ideal, but not guaranteed and the pay will not be a lot for the hours expected of you...think 7am-2pm minimum and very demanding parents.
School fees for a reasonable school for your child’s age are about 25,000 a year, I don’t have children but they would expect each terms fees to be paid up front. Same with rent for a house/apartment, the annual rent paid up front. A basic decent 2 bedroom apartment in Al Ain could be found for about 60,000 upwards.
After all school/house/tax/utilities/car/fuel etc etc the 22,000 will not last long. I don’t think you will save any money.
Thank you helps a lot!
A lot of people are saying the same that it’s not really a good wage! On paper looks good but reality I think is it’s not workable
Rebecca123 is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2018, 5:42 am
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 3,467
jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Move to Abu D- Job offer received-time to decide if it’s a good offer!

No way on earth would I bring a family to the UAE on 22k. Far too low. Sure it's doable, but it won't be much fun counting pennies and saying 'no we can't afford it' to your kid when everyone else isn't.
jam25mack is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.