British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   help me regarding degree (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/help-me-regarding-degree-606743/)

junooni May 2nd 2009 12:20 pm

help me regarding degree

i have a degree issued by International University of America (IUA) given me at london. i was told to get it attested from Saudi Cultural Bureau in London as i did my BIT from london. but saudi cultural rejected it saying that this uni. is not in their list. although the concernd uni. was replying them and all.
now i m stuck.... what to do? any suggestions?:(

Shadya May 2nd 2009 12:45 pm

Re: help me regarding degree

Originally Posted by junooni (Post 7535186)
i have a degree issued by International University of America (IUA) given me at london. i was told to get it attested from Saudi Cultural Bureau in London as i did my BIT from london. but saudi cultural rejected it saying that this uni. is not in their list. although the concernd uni. was replying them and all.
now i m stuck.... what to do? any suggestions?:(

It doesn't sound like a properly recognised university. What do you mean that it was "given' to you? Where exactly in London is it located? What is a BIT?

junooni May 2nd 2009 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Shadya (Post 7535231)
It doesn't sound like a properly recognised university. What do you mean that it was "given' to you? Where exactly in London is it located? What is a BIT?

i've been to its website www.iua.ac i didnt really studied there i was at a college which was affliated with this uni. it is a californian based uni.
the uni contact is
IUA - International University of America
Royal Arsenal Gatehouse,
Beresford Square
London
SE18 6AR

Phone : 020 8331 0555
Fax : 020 8331 0666
Email : [email protected]

and BIT is Bachelor of Information Technology

benzonar May 2nd 2009 1:58 pm

As far as I can find out it is no longer registered in California (its status was suspended following an expose by Le Figaro and complaints from French students).

Is currently domiciled in Norfolk Island, Australia which wouldn't fill me with confidence. Sounds like a diploma mill to me (allegedly).

junooni May 3rd 2009 7:50 am

Originally Posted by benzonar (Post 7535348)
As far as I can find out it is no longer registered in California (its status was suspended following an expose by Le Figaro and complaints from French students).

Is currently domiciled in Norfolk Island, Australia which wouldn't fill me with confidence. Sounds like a diploma mill to me (allegedly).

so y this uni. is still established in london? what british gov. is doing? thats sad :(

still.unsure May 3rd 2009 8:02 am

Originally Posted by junooni (Post 7536924)
so y this uni. is still established in london? what british gov. is doing? thats sad :(

have you got the british gov (foreign ministry) to certify the degree? perhaps the Saudi's are willing to accept the british gov's verification of it?

junooni May 3rd 2009 9:08 am

Originally Posted by still.unsure (Post 7536937)
have you got the british gov (foreign ministry) to certify the degree? perhaps the Saudi's are willing to accept the british gov's verification of it?

yeah my friend is going to FCO this week and i hope they will attest it. but saudi's simply said they will not attest it even after attestation from FCO. :(

still.unsure May 3rd 2009 9:24 am

Originally Posted by junooni (Post 7537051)
yeah my friend is going to FCO this week and i hope they will attest it. but saudi's simply said they will not attest it even after attestation from FCO. :(

sorry, mate, but it sounds like you've got a dud on your hands. best bet would be to go back to the university and ask for your money back. no point in having the degree if it can't get you a job.

(yes, yes, i know all that "learning for the sake of learning" bit, but this is clearly a career degree and not of a 'philosophical' nature)

lionheart May 3rd 2009 10:28 am

It took me three years of really hard graft attending daily lectures and seminars given by highly qualified professors and tutors to earn my university degree. It therefore annoys me that people can be awarded so-called degrees simply by attending courses at an allegedly affiliated college and paying for the award thereafter. Its not really a university education and should therefore be simply described as a diploma and nothing more.

Aikman7981 May 3rd 2009 10:34 am

The US embassy in Abu Dhabi will not certify degrees from schools deemed to be "diploma mills".

This is because of feedback from local employers who thought a US State Dep stamp meant they were getting an employee with a real education.

I know, you are not American and you are going to Saudi. I'm just chiming in.

Inselaffen May 3rd 2009 10:43 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7537197)
It took me three years of really hard graft attending daily lectures and seminars given by highly qualified professors and tutors to earn my university degree. It therefore annoys me that people can be awarded so-called degrees simply by attending courses at an allegedly affiliated college and paying for the award thereafter. Its not really a university education and should therefore be simply described as a diploma and nothing more.

strange, it took me three years of playing hockey, getting pissed and singing rude songs to get my degree :p

Grace O Malley May 3rd 2009 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 7537229)
strange, it took me three years of playing hockey, getting pissed and singing rude songs to get my degree :p

ha ha and you would be normal Inse.

Tiger989 May 3rd 2009 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by junooni (Post 7536924)

Mate, any proper university in england will have an ac.uk website address plus its british council approved internationally.
If you get a degree online what do you expect more than a scam.

junooni May 3rd 2009 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7537197)

i transfered my course credit hours to this college. before in pakistan i was also attending those big lectures and workshops i wasnt aware of the consequences. i know its my mistake but now what to do...
:(

junooni May 3rd 2009 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Tiger989 (Post 7537440)
Mate, any proper university in england will have an ac.uk website address plus its british council approved internationally.
If you get a degree online what do you expect more than a scam.

no it wasnt online degree.... i was there in london for 2 and half yrs.. i studied there... and i dont think so that web domain does matter?