Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Help - Leaving UAE Bank Loan

Help - Leaving UAE Bank Loan

Old Feb 18th 2009, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

evickage is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help - Leaving UAE Bank Loan

Basically I have been made redundant and have an outstanding bank loan of 54000 AED. My last day is the 6th March. I have been very lucky and found work in Qatar. Great offer etc.

How do I leave the country? I still will pay the bank loan. No way am I wanting to abscond I just cant do it immediately. My new employers want me to start 1st March. If I cancel visa through my company will the bank put a travel ban on me. Will they be quick enough to do it before I leave. I have enough cash in the account to cover two payments and will try and put more in before I leave.

Normally I would have talked to the bank and asked them to transfer my account to the branch in its sister bank in Qatar but petrified to speak to them. Also what happens if you get stopped at the airport. I'll be then on 30 day visa. Do they just send you away until you can pay it and get a NOC from the bank or is it straight to jail.

I have never missed a payment and worse scenario I could if face jail get it paid from UK by begging friends or relatives but its the last resort.

My gf is here so I want to be able to return possibly so want to cancel my visa properly.

Advice help or experience is appreciated.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 5:22 pm
Good things take time

saddam will become famous soon enoughsaddam will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help - Leaving UAE Bank Loan

Hi there,
Just make sure you leave enough monies in your account – say 3 installments
Some banks freez some not

I changed jobs several times and didn’t get freezo , as long as got some money their to cover installments – I got 3 loans worth more than 450k.
I suggest you leave 3 installments, they don’t care, if money available you are safe
Worst case scenario , they’ll call you – just mention your situation I m sure they are ok with loan transfer.. banks are very flexi nowadays - new rules are coming soon re car loans and rentals....not personal loans
Your 50k is not a big deal

Other option if you really want to be on the safe side, go Qatar next day of cancellation and stay their till you got enough money to cover loan and back with money in pocket just incase

sorry for typo, i used to type no look at screen
Old Feb 18th 2009, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Cheers for the reply. Well I already have two installments worth in the account and was gonna try and get more put in too before I leave so at least 5 is covered.

I also don't intend returning until its paid off. I know they have bigger fish to fry and i do intend being on the next flight out as soon as visa is canceled and passport is in my back pocket.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 5:53 pm
Good things take time

Originally Posted by evickage
Cheers for the reply. Well I already have two installments worth in the account and was gonna try and get more put in too before I leave so at least 5 is covered.

I also don't intend returning until its paid off. I know they have bigger fish to fry and i do intend being on the next flight out as soon as visa is canceled and passport is in my back pocket.
Kia Ora mate! Hi in Maori
Good on you, you will be ok, this is the spirit

FYI, There is a threshold figure, whereby the authorities/bank will be concerned and only come after you or freez if you exceed that amount.

its 150000K

By the way, pm me and will tell you a good and safe journey – mmmmmmm lets me things and hope no one spying here? Use Sh....a – Qatar airport ..NICE = triple safe the journey….and no worries . Please let us know when you touch down in Doha inshala
Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHaps has a reputation beyond repute

I believe you need to pay the loan, you cant skip on payments if you are going to work in Qatar or any other country in the middle east! There will be a warrant for your arrest if you dont and you will get your sorry ass deported back to dubai.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:07 pm
Good things take time

Originally Posted by saddam
Kia Ora mate! Hi in Maori
Good on you, you will be ok, this is the spirit

FYI, There is a threshold figure, whereby the authorities/bank will be concerned and only come after you or freez if you exceed that amount.

its 150000K

By the way, pm me and will tell you a good and safe journey – mmmmmmm lets me things and hope no one spying here? Use Sh....a – Qatar airport ..NICE = triple safe the journey….and no worries . Please let us know when you touch down in Doha inshala
this will do...my 3rd post
The administrator has restricted use of the private message system to members with more than 3 posts.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Oh wont be skipping payments and hope to have it paid off very quick. Dont need the hassle of it all to be honest and dont want it hanging over my head.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all

I mentioned before that I got myself into a bit of financial trouble a few years back and had defaulted on a loan (albeit not that much). I quit my job and went back to the the UK.

I was still paying it and then they added extortionate charges and I refused to pay anymore . I came back to dubai around a dozen times on the SAME passport and never had any problems, that same bank (give you a clue, Hated, Stublue, Backlog, Claims,) were in touch for a while and then didn't bother.

Now im not advocating anyone not paying loans off (i have over the last few years sorted out all my financial problems) but sometimes people are a bit over the top when it comes to arrest, stopping you flying etc
Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

I am probably worrying over nothing but I will only be happy when I am sat on that flight. I got my redundancy letter a couple of weeks ago and went to Qatar for the interview and had no problem so lets see.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all

Originally Posted by evickage
I am probably worrying over nothing but I will only be happy when I am sat on that flight. I got my redundancy letter a couple of weeks ago and went to Qatar for the interview and had no problem so lets see.
I have to admit though that the first few times I came back I was bricking it!
Old Feb 18th 2009, 6:47 pm
Good things take time

StublueKPL, GREAT ADVICE….and agree last comment, true!

Most of comments in this forum or other forums are based on either personal experience or “some one told me” story. Bearing in mind these forums have been formed to help expats like me and you, and up to us to take advice on board or else.

There is no ground for any rules or regulations here in ME.
If you ask 10 officials, they give you 10 answers. Who is right or who’s wrong, God knows
And God helps us all to cope with things here, thus, just leave to fate.... you’ll learn good lessons from life and our friend mr fate, otherwise we sit home and do nothing.
Ride the high tide and accept the challenge – we live once..***t happens, and we need to manage it
Old Feb 21st 2009, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Just to give you an update> I am due to leave for Qatar Saturday. Started tying up lose ends and then got the shock of my life today. Went to the ATM and my banks been frozen. Loans been called in and I am now 66000 over drawn. Am I right in presuming I will have a travel ban? This is what happens when you dont run.

How can I pay it back if i cant work. I have a good offer from Qatar. My only miracle is I have had a second interview with for a job In Dubai. if I get that I will have to stay here,

Any suggestions?? The bank in question is Emirates bank.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

bimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud ofbimcnorth has much to be proud of

Talk to the bank...They are not happy with the current situation either you can be assured.

Edit/ Check if they got a branch in Qatar and ask them to transfer your account/debts to that branch..

Last edited by bimcnorth; Feb 21st 2009 at 2:13 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 2:09 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

speak to the Bank tomorrow and set up a repayment schedule with them.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

I am off to the bank first thing with job offer in my hand. I kind of get the feeling they will not be sympathetic and not let me take it to Qatar. I have never missed a payment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.