Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Help - Job search not looking good ..

Help - Job search not looking good ..

Old Oct 29th 2008, 9:55 pm
Just Joined

sandylp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help - Job search not looking good ..

Hi

Both my husband and I have been looking for a job in Abu Dhabi or Dubai for a few months. We have used various recruitment agencies. We decided to book a short trip to Abu Dhabi and informed a few agencies, one of which managed to get me 2 job interviews and my husband didn't get any.

I have not heard any feedback from the interviews and the person whom I dealt with in the agancy is on holiday. The first interview wasn't even an interview - the HR guy forgot about my interview and passed me onto some other managers who had very little time to spare and asked just one or two questions. The second interview was ok but not really my field of expertise.

So, we're back in the UK and no job offers. The disappointing thing is that we have spent money on our trip out there and do not seem to have any hope of getting a job.

Is this a result of world financial downturn?
Should we give up?

PS I am qualified accoutant and my husband Civil Engineer (working in consultancy)
Old Oct 29th 2008, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - Job search not looking good ..

Sandy

Why would you give up just after 2 rejections??

It took me about 2 yrs to find my job - persistance pays off .

"The disappointing thing is that we have spent money on our trip out there and do not seem to have any hope of getting a job. " - it was a gamble but u did a lot more than most people adn u have a good idea of what the place is like (and a nice holiday i hope)

good luck
Old Oct 30th 2008, 4:56 am

diablo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sandylp
Hi

Both my husband and I have been looking for a job in Abu Dhabi or Dubai for a few months. We have used various recruitment agencies. We decided to book a short trip to Abu Dhabi and informed a few agencies, one of which managed to get me 2 job interviews and my husband didn't get any.

I have not heard any feedback from the interviews and the person whom I dealt with in the agancy is on holiday. The first interview wasn't even an interview - the HR guy forgot about my interview and passed me onto some other managers who had very little time to spare and asked just one or two questions. The second interview was ok but not really my field of expertise.

So, we're back in the UK and no job offers. The disappointing thing is that we have spent money on our trip out there and do not seem to have any hope of getting a job.

Is this a result of world financial downturn?
Should we give up?

PS I am qualified accoutant and my husband Civil Engineer (working in consultancy)
Rarely anyone agrees with me on this forum when I say that the financial downturn should not have an impact here of that magnitude ... particularly in Abu Dhabi. So, this was just a bad judgement due to lack of experience of ME mentality and nothing more. You will find what you are looking for, trust me.

I would suggest dealing with UK agencies because they will make standards equivalent to the UK - you don't want these local HRs to create your salary packages.

There are a quite a few Civil / Architect consultancies here in Dubai (UK / Canadian / Australian / US) and I am sure that demand for the right people is still there (it always will be for the right people anyway). Abu Dhabi should be even more robust. I think they will be building at least for the next 10 years full time before any slow down ... just a non-educated guess.

Accounting ... you do have a competition from cheaper labour countries but it shouldn't discourage you that much ... if your husband gets a job you may even think of running your own small consultancy from here. There are a quite a few small business in Dubai for example and most could be supproted with a part time accountant; not everyone has capabilities to employ a full time accountant. So having 20-30 clients and supporting them for a day or two each - USD 500-1000 is nothing to anyone, 25 days at $500-1000 makes a niced little salary. Again there are quite a few of those who would charge less so you should try to provide some competitive services .. it's just an idea which you may have in the background. Good network should land you a few customers. I don't have an accountant and it's a mess ... however I am a one man (actually 2 man and a woman) company and cannot afford an accountant but having you for a day or two to look through the invoices / orders (maybe 10-20 invoices per month) would be benefitial for both. I am sure there are quite a few people like me in places like Knowledge Village, Media City, Internet City and God knows how many cities are there in Dubai

Doesn't really help ... but just a thought
Old Oct 30th 2008, 6:31 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

cut out agencies and go directly to the companies you are interested in.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

happy man is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say go for both companies and agencies. Theoretically, targeting companies directly will be much easier and will save them agency fees which will make you more attractive. However, you can't easily reach the hiring managers by applying directly to the company. Your application may go to HR but it may not be passed to the managers. Agency will contact the hiring managers directly which may be efficieint in some situations, so try both ways.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Lyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud of

I don't know about the market for accountancy, but your husband shouldn't have any problems getting a job here.

Get him to contact the british agencies, like AndersElite, CIV, JustConstruction, et al, tell them that you want to work in Dubai and they should be falling over themselves to get you a place. Think about it logically - if a multinational construction company wants to bring consultants over, then why should they advertise with UAE agencies?

Do't come over until you have several interviews lined up, or if you think you know enough about the place, then try for a phone interview.

Most construction company's HR is, well... like HR anywhere and if mine old place was anything to go by, they don't waste precious time with direct candidates, but instead pay the agency to do the legwork and sifting.

Your husband should know the multinationals that are here, so it shouldn't be hard at all.

Oh, and if he's a Bridge engineer, then you're laughing. PM me if that's the case.